What's new

Why do experienced growers still use plastic pots?

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
I use both 1 gal plastic pots to star. At Ip pot time I up pot to 2-30 gal fabric pots depending on what the plant is. Indoor grows get 2 gal fabric pots but they are autos. Photos get 10 and up until I run out the 7 then 5. I like to give them enough room. I want to see how big I can get my babies this year.

CharlesU Farley

I really dont see how some antidotal anecdotal evidence of someone somewhere you used to know cutting holes into plastic pots with the plants still attached remotely relevant and a justification for you being antagonistic lol. The fabric is designed to allow roots to grow through easily.

edit: spelling error :(
If you think my response was antagonistic... I don't think I'm going to interact with you in this thread after this response, because you have no earthly idea just how "antagonistic" I can be.

But to cure your ignorance, fabric containers for cannabis weren't designed to allow roots to grow _through_ the fabric, they were designed so roots would grow _to_ the edges of the fabric, be exposed to air, self-terminate and no longer grow. This forces the roots that are not exposed to the exterior fabric/air, in the _interior_ of the container, to expand _within_ the soil, not wrap around the plastic sides of a container.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
If you think my response was antagonistic... I don't think I'm going to interact with you in this thread after this response, because you have no earthly idea just how "antagonistic" I can be.

But to cure your ignorance, fabric containers for cannabis weren't designed to allow roots to grow _through_ the fabric, they were designed so roots would grow _to_ the edges of the fabric, be exposed to air, self-terminate and no longer grow. This forces the roots that are not exposed to the exterior fabric/air, in the _interior_ of the container, to expand _within_ the soil, not wrap around the plastic sides of a container.
You are 100% correct about the roots hitting the felt pots. They are designed to let the roots die once they go through the fabric. In professional horticulture, this is called air pruning and it works very well. I just prefer to push my roots back to the center of the pot which is how I do it.

How old are you?

RobFromTX

I used fabric for years before switching back to plastic. My reasoning was I got tired of the bags collecting so much calcium, clogging up the fiber which defeated the whole purpose of using them in the first place. I also didn't enjoy trying to water the top soil and having it spill out to the bottom of the bag, never could tell if all of the soil was getting watered enough and it often resulted in me overwatering. Just my experience. Im really liking plastic again

Last edited:
This is an example from the corona end times. One of my first grows and an example of fabric in fabric. Fastbuds purple punch. I made mistakes but the added oxygen and wicking channels created wasn't one of them. The only downside is eventually, you run out of pots. There aren't many autos that get this big and yeild 140g so it couldn't of been that much of a issue
20230529_163312.jpg
20230529_163450.jpg
20230522_200512.jpg

CharlesU Farley

I used fabric for years before switching back to plastic. My reasoning was I got tired of the bags collecting so much calcium, clogging up the fiber which defeated the whole purpose of using them in the first place. I also didn't enjoy trying to water the top soil and having it spill out to the bottom of the bag, never could tell if all of the soil was getting watered enough and it often resulted in me overwatering. Just my experience. In really liking plastic again
I can understand that. I'll never never understand why growers water to excess / runoff. It just seems like you're actually trying to drown the roots, imo.

If I let my Miracle Grow/Sta-Green potting soil dry out too much, the water rolls off from the _top_ of the bag. What was once hydrophilic is now hydrophobic. :rolleyes:

RobFromTX

I can understand that. I'll never never understand why growers water to excess / runoff. It just seems like you're actually trying to drown the roots, imo.

Well you have to make sure all of the roots are thoroughly watered, which leads to a little runoff. My trick is to water them only when the top inch is dry and then hit those trays with the ole wet/dry vac

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I wait until my pots are dry but not really light...the first liter of water takes its time saturating the plant...I then add water a few times until I see a puddle under the plant...it works for me...this plant is at 5 weeks and very happy...

Attachments

• gorilla breath 5 weeks.JPG
    gorilla breath 5 weeks.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 46

CharlesU Farley

Well you have to make sure all of the roots are thoroughly watered, which leads to a little runoff. My trick is to water them only when the top inch is dry and then hit those trays with the ole wet/dry vac
I can pretty much tell by the weight of the bag how thoroughly I have watered. Occasionally I'll get a little run off if I'm impatient and try to get things done too fast. I can understand a little runoff but douching the roots just to get a EC level from the runoff, I'm not so sure about. :cool:

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
It’s funny how all of us use different kinds of lights, different types of containers, and different foods for our plants, but they all come out, looking like rock stars… it’s nice to see a discussion about such things rather than fighting about it. Rob, I got to tell you I love your picture thread…

RobFromTX

It’s funny how all of us use different kinds of lights, different types of containers, and different foods for our plants, but they all come out, looking like rock stars… it’s nice to see a discussion about such things rather than fighting about it. Rob, I got to tell you I love your picture thread…

Thanks man. Which thread are you referring to?

Hopefull Stoner

This is an example from the corona end times. One of my first grows and an example of fabric in fabric. Fastbuds purple punch. I made mistakes but the added oxygen and wicking channels created wasn't one of them. The only downside is eventually, you run out of pots. There aren't many autos that get this big and yeild 140g so it couldn't of been that much of a issue View attachment 18971553 View attachment 18971554 View attachment 18971555
How does the effects make u feel? Based on your level of tolerance thx