What's new

Whos getting ready for 2012 Veggie Season :-D !!!

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
I give the fuck up!!!!! :mad:

Moved the 32 starter pots from under the grow lights to the front window to let them get used to natural light, They've been good for the last week, even been outside during the day several times,..... but the wife managed to kill them today by moving them outside and NOT watering at all thru the day! :frown:

It's part my fault, she's been doing a good job helping water and move plants, so I took a day to maintain the car,.... oops! :eek::

I"m still pissed! Most of the tomatoes are dead, eggplants, cucumbers, and a good section of the peppers wont recover.

Looks like I'll have a nursery garden again this year! :shucks:

B

bonecarver_OG

i read the meteorological reports from the closest army air-base. reliable weather info. not like on the tv. sorry to hear about the losses :( but its not too late to start new seeds or buy plants.

good luck

Hazeo

Veteran
Hey guys,

nice to see what u are doing next to cannabis...

i love doing vegetables... this are the seeds i germinated yet... the first seedlins are sprouting yet:

Here you can see my pumpkin seeds from 3 years ago (in the paper towel), two different kinds of Chillis ( ibrought these strains from india; quite interested how they will taste), papaya from india as well, some melon seeds (water- and sugarlemon), sage (seeds from 2008,hope they are still good, but should be), dragonfruit-seeds and the Kochia (fire bush) from india as well.

picture.php

And some other seeds, but i do not remember from which kind of plant they are, they are very small, should be something more exotic i think... perhaps you know what it is:

On the seed-package was written "Am. R.A."
picture.php

These are the first two sprouted containers.
After two days in the soil (no pre-soaking) the first seedlings appeared...
The big seedling(s) is a pumpkin seed, my own breeding. the other is a melon "tigger":

picture.php

let me see some pics of your plantjes too!

best regards
Hazeo

B

bonecarver_OG

interesting plant the kochia :D

its an invasive plant and dificult to control i read..
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/weeds/fba01s00.html

"A Plan for Kochia

Consider the following points as you develop your kochia management strategy:

Pay attention to pre-seeding weed control. Kochia germinates early, therefore you may be able to substantially reduce in-crop infestations by using a herbicide or tillage on those early flushes.

Spray early. Because kochia is an early germinator, it is usually more advanced than other weeds and requires early field scouting to determine the correct stage for application. Most herbicides only control kochia when it is very small, so be prepared.

Prevent seed production. Kochia seeds are short-lived and preventing seed production will decrease next year's weed infestation. A good herbicide program combined with patch mowing or spraying, and cutting for feed areas where kochia has escaped are all effective ways of preventing kochia from setting seed.

Watch out for herbicide resistance. Rotate your herbicide Groups to delay resistance development in kochia. Look for suspicious patches that could be resistant, and test some kochia seed if you suspect resistance.
"

B

bonecarver_OG

the small seeds u got there are AMARANTH.

peace

edit - i see the chili seed packs! looks interesting too! i had one p'lant inbetween my cayennes that looked like the one on the left. the rounder almost egg shaped chilis looks crazy! i hope to see u grow them out :)

Hazeo

Veteran
Hey bonecarver_OG,

hey man, thanks a lot for this information concerning the Amaranth-seeds; i think u are right, should be these seeds...!!!
-aaand of course because of the infos to the Kochia! It is so good that u mentioned it, i didn´t knew anything about it; i just saw it in india, and cause i am always interested in something new i just threw it in... but if it i invasive i have to be carfefull, thanks so much for that. I wanna have my garden under control, with something invasive, you can´t be sure how long it will stay this way :D

Yeah i hope to bring them all in bloom.... i will be reporting about it in my outdoor-thread (secound thread in my Sig.).... so you are all really welcome to have a lokk there as well...

hahah, yes the egg-shaped chillies looked so funny, i decided to buy them as well. i will post some pics when getting in shape...

regards
Hazeo

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Planted some spinach yesterday, the carrots and onions are taking off, tons of them coming up!! Want to plant more but have to wait til it gets warmer.
Going to make potato boxes today and plant those. We have red,yukon and gold potatoes.

Hazeo

Veteran
Want to plant more but have to wait til it gets warmer.
Hahahah, thats exactly my problem: i started too early with some of my seeds :D
...as well with my weed plants for this years outdoor season...i cant keep my green thumbs relaxed :D hahahaha, alwayys the same...

would be sooo nice to live next to the equator, growing weed the whole year....okay you have to help with some light during the veg but that would be affordable D:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Built a nice cold frame yesterday and planted Kale, spinach, Bok Choy, Rainbow chard and peas. Ive got Sugarbaby melons,bush cukes and Ox heart tomatoes started inside. Im waiting another week or so before I start any more seeds outdoors like beets and such. Its still down into the forties at night and soil temps havent really warmed enough as of yet.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Most of the peppers recovered,.... not sure WTF happened, I'm dropping new tomato eggplant, and cucumber beans today,..... what a waste.

B

bonecarver_OG

hazeo - i planted amaranth a few years ago. it has nice flowers and i read its edible even though i never harvested the seed to eat.

Most of the peppers recovered,.... not sure WTF happened, I'm dropping new tomato eggplant, and cucumber beans today,..... what a waste.

aww man cheer up :-D its never a waste when you plant more babies.

and the ones that are lost over the years are merely just ways that youll learn how to be more protective ;-)

Ill kill for my plants now a days :-D

Especially my orange lemon and key lime tree... GRRRRRRR

B

bonecarver_OG

my terrain was full of citrus trees.. had to cut down a whole bunch to be able to build.. left about 12 of them of different old breeds of oranges and lemons to get continuous fruits during the year. there is allways a lemon tree or orange tree with fruit.. nice with big old citrus trees all around the house :) nothing like fresh lemons for lemonade..

we get 2 harvests a year with the citrics.. the only one tree that is not very productive is the blood-orange.

i also got a citrus tree planted from seed. the seed i found in a compressed block of coco from srilanka. i planted the seed outside after having the plantlet for one year in the flowering room indoors. once i planted it into the soil it really starting growing. its soon 4 years old. since i dont know what kind of citrus it is, i cant estimate when it will start fruiting etc. only thing i know for sure is that it has long thorns. that should rule out common oranges and tangerines. i gotto say the seed was really BIG. about half an inch long, and quite thin and drop shaped.

anyhow - citrus info - mostly about the fruits..

http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/citrus.html

Last edited:

Hazeo

Veteran
hazeo - i planted amaranth a few years ago. it has nice flowers and i read its edible even though i never harvested the seed to eat.

Yes exactly mate....
Now i am rememberin, i bought this seeds in between the season, two years ago or something.
hahah i bought them because i had some breakfast cereals at a friends house in the morning after a party. and mate, this cereals where sooo amazing delicious AND made from Amaranth, so i had to by the seeds in order to try to produce such a nice cereals my own.... forgot that.... but know because of your help this plan is going to get real!
Heheheee :)

I hope in autumn i am eating my amaranth-cereals and smokin my outdoor weed :D

regards
Hazeo

djonkoman

Veteran
I also have amaranth, bought them last year since I read there is a kid of slughunting beetle living underneath them according to wikipedia, and I was having slugtroube. no idea if those beetles also live around here, wikipedia didn't have more info about it, but woth a try, worst case I still have some nice flowers

Hazeo

Veteran
yes mate, just try it... i will have a look for some strange beetles as well :)

regards and a good grow!
Hazeo

my terrain was full of citrus trees.. had to cut down a whole bunch to be able to build.. left about 12 of them of different old breeds of oranges and lemons to get continuous fruits during the year. there is allways a lemon tree or orange tree with fruit.. nice with big old citrus trees all around the house :) nothing like fresh lemons for lemonade..

we get 2 harvests a year with the citrics.. the only one tree that is not very productive is the blood-orange.

i also got a citrus tree planted from seed. the seed i found in a compressed block of coco from srilanka. i planted the seed outside after having the plantlet for one year in the flowering room indoors. once i planted it into the soil it really starting growing. its soon 4 years old. since i dont know what kind of citrus it is, i cant estimate when it will start fruiting etc. only thing i know for sure is that it has long thorns. that should rule out common oranges and tangerines. i gotto say the seed was really BIG. about half an inch long, and quite thin and drop shaped.

anyhow - citrus info - mostly about the fruits..

http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/citrus.html

the thorns you mention makes be believe that you have the same
orange tree as i do.

Venous Orange

:-D Those thorns are SERIOUS lol be careful.