What's new

who's afraid of heights

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i know i am...when i was young i went to the cn tower, and my dad freaked me out and put me on a piece of glass and started banging it to make me freak out...so all of these are out of question for me...

top1.gif
El Caminito Del Rey (Spain)

a97949_path_1-caminito-rey.jpg
Adrenaline-junkies have been flocking to southern Spain to experience the 110-year-old El Caminito Del Rey. And you don't need to be an experienced climber either, the only requirements are that walkers should be at least twelve years old and have a good head for heights. The trail, also known as the King's Pathway, was originally built in 1905 for workers to travel between two hydroelectric power plants but was closed-off in 2000 after two walkers fell to their deaths.

[youtubeif]zrJizok2Nrs[/youtubeif]

top2.gif
Huashan Cliffside Path (China)

a97949_path_2-china.jpg
Huashan is located near the southeast corner of the Ordos Loop section of the Yellow River basin, south of the Wei River valley, at the eastern end of the Qinling Mountains, in southern Shaanxi province. It is part of the Qin Ling Mountain Range that divides not only northern and southern Shaanxi, but also China. There are two walking trails leading to Huashan's North Peak (1614 m), the lowest of the mountain's five major peaks. The most popular is the traditional route in Hua Shan Yu (Hua Shan Gorge) first developed in the 3rd to 4th century A.D. and with successive expansion, mostly during the Tang Dynasty.

The inherent danger of many of the exposed, narrow pathways with precipitous drops gave the mountain a deserved reputation for danger. As tourism has boomed and the mountain's accessibility vastly improved with the installation of the cable car in the 1990s, visitor numbers surged. Despite the safety measures introduced by cutting deeper pathways and building up stone steps and wider paths, as well as adding railings, fatalities continued to occur.

[youtubeif]NsGC0lZ-5g8[/youtubeif]

top3.gif
School 5,000ft Cliff Path (China)

a97949_path_3-school.jpg
The children of Gulucan village in West China take their lives in their hands every day with a walk to school which involves navigating a narrow path carved into a 5,000-ft cliff-side. It is the only way they can get to the school, which with its five concrete rooms is known as the best construction in the village

top4.gif
Roche Veyrand (France)

a97949_path_4-france2.jpg
France is home to around 120 via ferratas, ranging from easy to extremely difficult routes. Roche Veyrand is definitely a fine example of one of these quite difficult and challenging tracks. The path is located in St Pierre d'Entremont, in the Rhône-Alpes region, which stretches in the south-eastern part of the country.

top5.gif
Ebenalp Path (Switzerland)

a97949_path_5-switzerland.jpg
A journey back in time to the prehistoric caves on the Ebenalp at Wildkirchli is a once in a lifetime experience for young and old. The path leads from the Ebenalp mountain station to the site in just under 20 minutes. (Link)

top6.gif
Yueyang's New Paths (China)

a97949_path_6-new-china.jpg
Meet China's amazing army of "spidermen" who are risking their lives to build a scenic trail 300 metres above the ground. With little more than a safety harness and a ledge to support them, the men are building hundreds of metres of cliff paths - only a metre wide and without a guardrail - in Yueyang, in Hunan province.

The concrete for the paths is mixed at ground level and winched up in a make-shift cable car.Zhang Bin, head of the path construction team, said: "Workers building plank paths along cliffs should at least be psychologically stable."

top7.gif
The Cliffs of Moher (Ireland)

a97949_path_7-bike.jpg
For those who want to experience an unforgettable adrenalin rush, you need to refuse to settle with anything short of the best. For the passionate bike riders who are willing to travel to The Cliffs of Moher there is a treat in store, the most dangerous bike ride trail on this planet.

Towering at a top height of 700 feet above the Atlantic ocean, the Cliffs of Moher located near the charming town of Doolin in Co. Clare Ireland offer a truly enriching experience for the brave and adventurous at heart.

supermanlives

Veteran
not me . i did tree services arborist shit. i climb like a monkey. i actually like the heights and i have bungee jumped several times. i have yet to skydive but soon i will. hey joe just curious what ya smokin you are everywhere tonight

hashcat88

yeah fuck ALLLLL those place haha

they sure are beautiful but i like to be about 20ft from cliff faces haha

i get a gnarly, balls in my stomach, brain starts spinning kinda feeling when im up that high

schwilly

love that shit

just gives me that feeling. almost like i'm gonna come

pretty much got over any fear aspect during my commercial painting days

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
couldnt tell you exactly what im smokin, im out waiting for my crop so im getting what i can from a buddy who always renames his weed...what a dumass...for instance, he will get some purple kush, and every time i call him he says he has some next kind of kush, but its always the same....

as far as i can tell im smoking 3 kinds...mazar, pink kush, m39....but the only one im sure of is the m39, and the kush is a kush, but which i couldnt tell you...

SpayceRayce

Not afraid of heights, not stupid either. No hanging off cliff faces, but I'd bungee jump, no sweat. Jumped from 50+ bridge into water once. I want to skydive someday, high as a fucking kite. Same for bungee. Full on swan dive.

MIway

Veteran
stood at the edge of monkey face in oregon, but i also get vertigo while watching that shit on tv... lol

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

previously had NO fear of heights, I worked part time in NY as a roofer and typically would be dangling from a ladder w/roof hooks 6 stories up on the Harwood Building in Scarsdale NY. A biker bro of mine had the contract w/Scarsdale Improvement for replacing loose/missing slate tiles; Barry usually worked alone but always required help on the Harwood, one guy (me) staying on the ladder while Barry cut slate and hustled them to me.

the Harwood Building.......

hb2.jpg

hb.jpg

ladder with roof hooks

rh1.jpg
rh2.gif

Since I've had my back accident I've lost a tremendous amount of confidence in myself, somehow this has also manifested itself into a fear of heights, when I watch movies now that feature vertigo type scenes my sphincter puckers up and my nuts withdraw to safer confines.......​

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
ya you couldnt pay me enough to do that....lol, ive seen ppl fall off the roof and onto the front cement steps....not pretty...hell i had a job on a building to replace the mortar between the bricks, i couldnt get past the second floor and even then i was on my knees one hand gripping the scafel and the other on the grinder grinding out the mortar, lol...

supherbb

I'm not even scared of heights and I almost shit myself looking at some of those pictures. Look at how insignificant humans and their inventions appear in some of those photos!

paper_clip

I get a little light headed when I'm too far up off the ground. I hate heights and avoid extreme heights at all costs :tongue:

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No i am not. But i damn sure wouldn't walk on a wooden path someone attached to the side of a cliff. And i wouldn't be riding the bikes like that either.

diggdugg

Hey Stoner4life, I know EXACTLY what that is like. Slate is the worst and will cut the shit out of ya too. As for jumping off of things and scaling cliffs and such- NO!

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Um... yeah, fuck that!

I wouldn't do any of those. I like adventure and adrenaline rushes but prefer them on land or water. I've skydived which I know is gonna sound weird because heights just aren't my thing. But skydiving didn't affect me like climbing a ladder does or walking on cliff like some of those pictures.

I've tried to get over it, used to work a summer job that required climbing ladders and one year I insisted on being the guy to go up cuz I wanted to get over my fear of heights once and for all. It worked, but only up to the 12' the ladder went. Anything above that and my legs turn to jelly and I feel almost dizzy.

Fear is debilitating, rarely helpful and besides heights I don't have any. Usually the feeling of fear is more dangerous to you than the act you're fearful of because you don't think straight and fuck up, making the fear seem rational. "It's all in your head" as they say.

That said, fear of heights isn't irrational, IMO. It's your ancestral DNA saying "hey fucker, get down!!"

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I am not really afraid of heights per se. A couple times I got a be queezy like when I ride my motor cycle across a really high bridge. Traffic was stopped and I was on some grating and could see all the way down to the water several hundred feet below me. It was kind of like being on the glass you speak of.

Latest posts

Latest posts