What's new

Who likes Parsley?

Nannymouse

I have grown parsley as a houseplant, in a BIG container. When i was just a wee mouse, mom used to grow (Hamburg?) parsley in the garden, and we'd just eat the big white root part. Heck, i didn't even know that the greens could be eaten...we never ate homegrown greens, growing up. Am about to start up some new containers of greens to go with the big pot of leaf celery that we've had going for a year or more. Going to attempt to grow some komatsuna (?), it's supposedly very mild for a mustard family member, more parsley, mizuna, and whatever else i have room for.

What i really like to do, is cut near the base, wash, toss around in a clean towel to dry a bit, chop the heck out of stems and leaves, and finish drying on big cutting boards or even the counter if i have room. When dry as heck, it's into the food processor to make into a 'flour'. If it's a small batch, the coffee grinder works well. Then, that goes into a big tupperware that stays in the cupboard. About once a week, i make veggie beef soup with the instant pot on pressure settings, and will toss in a small handful of dried mixed greens.

Do not discount radish greens! These are actually my favorite green, so far! My last few batches of dried stuff, were radish greens. Discovered that i like the tops of the radish far more than the bottom. Great to use fresh and chopped in scrambled eggs, too. I don't get grossed out by the holy leaves, just wash them several times, as they do seem to hold onto the dirt.

I believe in people learning the value of using those windows in the house to help with food security. We have many instances of power failure, so have been trying to learn to dry more of the food that we grow, instead of canning or freezing. We have one big outdoor garden, along with four smaller ones. Keeps us old farts busy, that's for sure.

Our next adventure in greens, is to see if the parsley will survive the winters here, outdoors. (gardening zone 3)

Betterhaff

Veteran
What i really like to do, is cut near the base, wash, toss around in a clean towel to dry a bit, chop the heck out of stems and leaves, and finish drying on big cutting boards or even the counter if i have room. When dry as heck, it's into the food processor to make into a 'flour'. If it's a small batch, the coffee grinder works well. Then, that goes into a big tupperware that stays in the cupboard. About once a week, i make veggie beef soup with the instant pot on pressure settings, and will toss in a small handful of dried mixed greens.
I do something similar. Have a Chicken and Dumpling recipe that uses loads of parsley. Use fresh in the chicken base and dried in the dumplings. For the dumpling the dried gets ground up, really helps with the texture. The whole dish is wonderful.

I've always grown and dried a lot of herbs but would have laughed if somebody told me to dry parsley. Now I can't grow enough of it.

Letting some radishes go to seed. Had to stake and cage them lol.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I like cilantro/coriander too but tough to grow here, especially the cilantro part. It always bolts so fast, the cilantro season is short lol. That's ok if you're just looking for seeds.

Latest posts

Latest posts