What's new

who here has ditched cable tv?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Never had it.

Shit's expensive.

Why would I pay somebody to make me dumber?

The reason cable was cable in the first place was to pay to avoid commercials.

Now people pay more and more to watch programs that get shorter as they add ad space.

And on march the sheeple :jump:

G

gloryoskie

I would subscribe to individual channels if that
option ever became available. 200+ channels
and I think I have less than 20 active. DVR
changed my viewing habits as channel surfing
has long ago lost its charm for me.

Not anti TV at all, I like to watch what I want
when I want. Netflix is cool too, even with its
limited programming. Love the old tv shows. lol.

Lots of stuff on YouTube and hulu, etc. Lots of
options.

L

longearedfriend

it's good to fall asleep on

sleep 30 minutes

king of the hill, simpsons or comedy

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got rid of cable several years ago. I stream football games. I rely on Netflix for show and stuff, but that really sucks now due to lack of content. My ISP is not as fast as cable, but it runs consistent. Cable was always fast and then slow. + I don't like how they run their business.

R.Fortune

Haven't "watched" TV, in almost 10 years. Last time i did, it only reminded me why i stopped in the first place. Plus all the cash i've saved since then. Is just a bonus. I'd rather watch nature.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dig the genie

DirecTV+Genie.jpg

audiohi

Veteran
I think about canceling every day. It is such a waste of time and money! One of these days...

BaldoSquemo

I ditched the cable back in '07 when I bought my new place.

CNN is a confirmed psy-op by the way, a direct arm of the CIA, and fox news ain't any better.

Best to drop the mainstream news altogether and just research your own interests with libraries and the internet!

And anyone worried about what they'll do with themselves without TV, I can tell you it's great. You're much worse off finishing a book you really like like that you couldn't put down all week. My point I guess is that you'll have more to do than you got time for before you know it :)

Perpetual Nooch

Been without cable for 8 years. I have an antenna to receive the local station for news and some prime time programs. The rest I stream (sports) or torrent (movies, shows). Will never go back and get cable. Can get everything I need for free (only pay for internet).

JohnnyATL

Veteran
i have had cable since november but its the first time ive had it in 5 years. The landlord of the house i rent has had the same dish service since the late 90s and its only 20 dollars a month grandfathered in. jea!

thaicat

It's been about 6 years since I've watched any kind of television. I don't live in a cave, just feel better being free of propaganda and mis-information.

JohnnyATL

Veteran
some stuff on tv is just funny bro lol not everything is propagandamundo or the govt coming to get you...

thaicat

some stuff on tv is just funny bro lol not everything is propagandamundo or the govt coming to get you...

If you enjoy watching TV, by all means, enjoy it. It won't bother me in the least and I'll still maintain a healthy respect toward you and your sources of entertainment.

I have no doubt that I miss many good shows, comedy or otherwise. I just personally have no use for it. If I want to watch something, I'll usually look online for a documentary. If I want to laugh, I look up a comedy. I'm much more comfortable reading a good book than anything on television or the internet.

Again, just a personal choice and I'm hoping it doesn't upset the balance of the universe or anything...

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
DirectTV
$168 a month
500 channels including over 80 movie channels
It's 6 below zero right now, I need my channels
In the summer I do outdoor stuff, but in the winter it's TV, video games, reading, and the gym.

That seems really expensive!! I have Verizon fIOs, tv, internet, and phone for $150/month--
But for most of my watching, I use http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/
They have most every show you could want, is updated daily!! The only issue with it is the pop-ups-- But I use Adblock ( http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome ) it is just a browser extension, and BAM!! No more Pop-Ups!! Lol!! :tiphat:

N

noyd666

:biggrin:oz is just the same= $125.00 monthly.
80 channels? mainly shit, like to watch the 5, nice legs.
i get to watch nascar, sprint and midget car racing where as i could not go to your planet to see them, always been outdoors flat out boats, shooting. but our internet is through phone but we have broad band internet paid seperatly. more fukin money, like most say it seems to have downgraded somewhat,were only watching a part of the crap yous'e watch about , so pay another $120 or so for [phone and internet] thank christ for the pension.:wave:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had mine pulled in '98 when I had trouble getting the kids away from it. DSL for the internet, and books for entertainment that doesn't come off of the net. Goddamn, I thought that it was ridiculously expensive then!

G

greenmatter

i got one of those digital converters so i can watch football and hockey when there is a game on and hit the pawn shops to buy DVD's

the commercials i have to watch to make it through the football season are more than enough to last the whole year