What's new

Who has the straight poop on Rabbit Manure and Growing Cannabis?

MrBreeze911

Wow... two months and 200+ research articles and papers later and the rabbit hole just gets deeper and deeper. There are so many recent papers and findings and I'm only reading the ones in english. lolol

So far, not one study has included cannabis. How unhelpful... The rest is gold, there are a number of unique benefits from rabbits not found in other domesticated animal manures.

Just... WOW!
I'm also interested in worm castings from rabbit and alpaca manure. I can get free alpaca manure and horse manure right now so far... one thing that is cool about rabbit and alpaca poop is you can use it without composting

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
EWC is great stuff! :) Careful what the animals have access to in pastures and on their hay. New herbicides are causing issues the last 2 years, and some plants are not great for your plants even after being eaten. ;)

The lack of ammonia is a big part of not needing to be composted.

Douglas.Curtis

Looking like I will have a phenomenal product for veg soon. Smells fine for an organic nute, no overpowering odor and fades well when mixed. Result is lush veg green, soft almost toxic nitrogen level health, no burning tips. I'm in love. lol 😍🥰
While plain rabbit manure tea is great... The first test batch (of proprietary formulation) to support my theories from all the research is better than I expected. ;)

I know all the terpy goodness is also still in there, but the fun testing will still have to be done. What a chore (*drool*). lol

Last edited:

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
if I could ask, the easiest access to bunny dung I have is a couple of wild rabbits that live under the house, they poop all over, but can i just get some of those poops, do i want fresh or old? and shake it up in a bottle and foliar feed with that?
if i can how many poop pieces (pelletts i suppose) haha, per cup of water would you think? im only tending a couple of small plants so i dont need much thinking one pellet of dung/cup water may be enough? haha

Lunchmoney

I’ve been supplementing with rabbit shit top dress also rabbit teas regularly. I use the dirt from my chicken run to help amend the native clay soil. Chickens are excellent compost turners. A bonus is all the oyster shell/feed/grit/feather which finds its way into the litter. I have no clue the npk of the final product and I imagine it’d vary.

Douglas.Curtis

A handful in a quart of water will make a decent tea. Shake it every day, then leave the lid cracked so it can offgas while sitting outside. Fresh may be better, I have not tested age yet.

Dilute it to weaker looking than a cup of regular tea before using. When using a gallon of poop in 5 gallons of water, I use only 5 or 6 drops in a half quart sprayer for foliars. Start weak, work your way up to a strength the plant likes.

The chicken litter sounds great for the garden. There are many people who let their chickens free range under their rabbit pens for the same reason. :) Worms are the other most common free range rabbit manure processors. lol :)

Douglas.Curtis

It is liquid gold, and I use it for every plant I grow. Even foliar applications for cacti are awesome and they love it, sporting healthy colors and amazing growth rates. The number and richness of my African Violet flowers, the robustness and flowering of the periwinkles, the amazing health and growth of the diseased lilac bush from last year... everything responds well to it, along with KNF water soluble calcium and lacto bacillus.

Cannabis has been stalled for me, as circumstances are trash in that arena the last few years. As a veg growth formula it works fantastic. I have no doubts my lower N version of this liquid gold formula will work just as amazingly for flower as my first low N teas did, only much more to my liking. ;)

Edit: I absolutely LOVE reading research papers. Wow has that paid off for me. :D

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
Hi D.C.

Just a quick question regarding your personal experience if I may off course.

But how would you compare/rate your end product with plants grown like this (organically) in soil versus hydro/dwc?

I was a diehard coco grower before being challenged to give organic in soil a try. It was a game changer for me.

Cheers

Douglas.Curtis

Hi D.C.

Just a quick question regarding your personal experience if I may off course.

But how would you compare/rate your end product with plants grown like this (organically) in soil versus hydro/dwc?

I was a diehard coco grower before being challenged to give organic in soil a try. It was a game changer for me.

Cheers
While the hydro/dwc cannabis I've grown in the past is fantastic, the rabbit manure cannabis is on a completely different complexity level. I've basically found liquid gold and haven't been able to take advantage of it with cannabis to any degree worth mentioning except veg vigor. It's freaking killing me. heh

Douglas.Curtis

I have never had soooo many blooms on an African Violet plant before. It has not been fertilized in about 6 months now, and only with my gold formula.

Yes, the flush of blooms are past their prime, and it still shows the sheer number of them. :)

Attachments

• 20230530_110158.jpg
    20230530_110158.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

WingzHauser

I always thought it was weird that other manures were too "hot" and need to be composted but they all have lower npk levels than rabbit.
something going on there

Rabbit has a more proper C:N ratio. Which always made me think why not mix carbs with poultry and stop the "burn" excuses. Except, what burn? If it's going in soil, and soil has random amounts of carbon...don't believe there's a bold line in the sand. Nute burn is always a deficiency. Most garden gossip is en vitro theoretics. Garden myths abound: https://puyallup.wsu.edu/lcs/

I've never "burned" plants with bird shit, but have ODed seedlings on rabbit manure before I knew rates. The sign of a bad C:N ratio is offgasing ammonia.

The 50lbs of Indonesian guano I opened today is a different color than the last bag. Claims same NPK. These things are the simple stressors of organic growing. Watch, I'll burn the shit out of some seeds next week. I'm saying birds should learn to shit more consistently in Indonesia. Maybe I'll start my own aviary. Mexican Peruvian and Sumatran is high in nitrogen so I'll need some birds from those areas also. It's weird to me that "Jamaican Bunny Honey" or "California Stinky Binky" isn't on the shelf next to all the various bird shits.

Douglass if you're wondering what to do for flower, maybe cut your rabbit shit with Madagascan bird shit for P and monkey poo from the zoo for K.

Douglas.Curtis

With living soil, I don't believe I'll need anything else. I plan on eventually finding higher P feed for the rabbits, something which continues to be healthy for them. It's very easy to change the N of the final formula.

One of the greatest upsells of rabbit manure is they produce it locally, and you can control what they eat. Consistency on your part creates consistent manure from them. I like having the ability to supply all my nutrient needs myself and not ship stuff in.

UFO

Interesting. I’m thinking about aeroponics so I might not need to watch the carbon content.

Douglas.Curtis

All my research points to aeroponics being more work for the same output as DWC. To each their own though.

On a side note, regarding hydroponics and bunny poop tea... it does not smell that amazing. Not 'bad' but not exactly desirable. lol :)

Hiddenjems

All my research points to aeroponics being more work for the same output as DWC. To each their own though.

On a side note, regarding hydroponics and bunny poop tea... it does not smell that amazing. Not 'bad' but not exactly desirable. lol :)
I built a 4x8 footprint true high pressure aero setup. It’s in storage now as my tables and dwc setups are just a better way to go. The yield for me was never better than other methods and you’re only hours away from everything dying.

Douglas.Curtis

@Douglas.Curtis you have inspired me to buy some rabbits. Joel Salatin uses them very well in his reakken houses alongside the chickens. I knew of this a while back but need a reminder to get back to nature. Thanks for starting this thread.
Awesome to hear! :) Cutest and tastiest meat I know of as well. ;)

Caution! Rabbit math is real!!! lolol
I strongly recommend only 2 or 3 starter rabbits, until you have a good idea about how much time you can give them on the regular. They are social animals with more needs than chickens or other livestock. They need cleaner conditions as well.

Rabbittalk.org has a very good community and information archive. Pet owners are largely ignorant and their advice should be ignored the fist year or two. ;) They simply buy a new rabbit when one dies. heh

Check out the healthy leaves on these periwinkle. They stay healthy like this through the heat till it gets cold again. :D

Attachments

• 20230531_172842.jpg
    20230531_172842.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20230531_172836.jpg
    20230531_172836.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230531_172823.jpg
    20230531_172823.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27

Douglas.Curtis

I've added a link in the op to the process I use for my "Liquid Gold" rabbit manure tea product. ;) Enjoy!

Latest posts

Latest posts