What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whiteflies in the SoCal Desert 2024... WOW! Kudos to Yellow Sticky Traps

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Since we had a wetter than usual Winter, the bugs are more plentiful this year. I am new to outdoor growing but I have controlled whiteflies to some degree indoors. It's always been pretty easy since the numbers were so small.

I refuse to use ANY kind of pesticide on my plants which has been fine since I was an "indoor only" grower for many years and my rooms were pretty tight. Now, I am growing indoors and outdoors and I am seeing a need for pest management that I never needed before.

The whiteflies are pretty thick this year so I simply used a hand vac and I vac my plants every day. Yes, my neighbors are wondering. LOL However, that just wasn't working this year. So, I bought a pack of yellow sticky traps. OMG!!!! These traps have only been out 2 or 3 days and I need to replace them, already. Wow, I have never seen them this thick.

Overall, the plants are nice and healthy. The one in front is an AK47 in week 8 and the others are Alien Gorilla clones in week 5.

On a good note, the sticky traps are working awesome. Where I used to be able to produce a cloud of whiteflies by shaking the plant, now only 4 or 5 fly off when I shake.

Just passing it on. Go yellow stickies. LOL

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 20

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Since we had a wetter than usual Winter, the bugs are more plentiful this year. I am new to outdoor growing but I have controlled whiteflies to some degree indoors. It's always been pretty easy since the numbers were so small.

I refuse to use ANY kind of pesticide on my plants which has been fine since I was an "indoor only" grower for many years and my rooms were pretty tight. Now, I am growing indoors and outdoors and I am seeing a need for pest management that I never needed before.

The whiteflies are pretty thick this year so I simply used a hand vac and I vac my plants every day. Yes, my neighbors are wondering. LOL However, that just wasn't working this year. So, I bought a pack of yellow sticky traps. OMG!!!! These traps have only been out 2 or 3 days and I need to replace them, already. Wow, I have never seen them this thick.

Overall, the plants are nice and healthy. The one in front is an AK47 in week 8 and the others are Alien Gorilla clones in week 5.

On a good note, the sticky traps are working awesome. Where I used to be able to produce a cloud of whiteflies by shaking the plant, now only 4 or 5 fly off when I shake.

Thanks for the post friend, it's very helpful. Yellow stickies are super important in any garden. They do two things, one is early detection and the other is trapping the bastards. The insects are attracted to them because they think they are yellow sick leaves.

buzzmobile

Veteran

Whiteflies are a big pain. I fought them for years using sticky traps, shop vac and a bamboo stake to get them stirred up, and parasitic wasps (Encarsia formosa). With the population of whiteflies reduced the wasps are a good way to knock them out. The wasps were hardy and survived the travel time in shipment. They were able to work and live in the rooms.

Whiteflies are easy to kill but hard to eliminate.

Asentrouw

Certainly going to try this. I get those fuckers every year and each year they come back.

I try to control them with a green soap/vinegar mix with ethanol, but that only slows the damage (sticky shit) down.

Luckily they seem more interested in tomatoplants then cannabis plants, sow I sow both these days. 😁

buzzmobile

Veteran
Certainly going to try this. I get those fuckers every year and each year they come back.

I try to control them with a green soap/vinegar mix with ethanol, but that only slows the damage (sticky shit) down.

Luckily they seem more interested in tomatoplants then cannabis plants, sow I sow both these days.
Gardenias are definitely on their menu too.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Whiteflies are a big pain. I fought them for years using sticky traps, shop vac and a bamboo stake to get them stirred up, and parasitic wasps (Encarsia formosa). With the population of whiteflies reduced the wasps are a good way to knock them out. The wasps were hardy and survived the travel time in shipment. They were able to work and live in the rooms.

Whiteflies are easy to kill but hard to eliminate.
They love warm dry climates but hate wet moist environments.