What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

white grow tent toxic?

greenduck

looking to buy a 4x8 and the adds for some, if not most, suggest that the new mylar reflective (non-white) are non toxic like the old ones. i have an older white reflective tent and didnt hear about this till now...should i be concerned with the older tent i still use? does the mylar metal looking reflective tents function "30%" better in dispersing the light to the plants? or is this going to increase the heat within the tent? gotta be safe. thanks.

BongRipkenJR.

Mylar tents are much better, and not all white tents are toxic, it is just better to not take your chances on one.

Now, tents are great and all, but I stopped liking my 4x8 because the temps and humidity were harder to deal with. As soon as I moved everything out of the tent they started booming! You can check the Platinum Purp thread in my sig if you want. They look much nicer out of the tent! I also am able to keep a solid 79-80 degrees when the lights are on.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Depends if you had issues with your last grows using the white tents, not all of em give off toxic fumes/gasses, you'd of been getting unexplained sick plants, yellowing issues & fake nute deficiency symptoms.(refered to as offgassing!)
Which brand are you talking about>? theres a list of bad tents about somewhere iirc.
I like the secret jardins, mylar lined do light up more, which is pretty obvious really(not sure about the 30%). I wouldnt bother with the cheap version though, i think theres 3.

You get what you pay for mostly!

G'Luck

greenduck

hmm, its a pretty good tent, hand me down from friends...they had issues but i dont think it was do to the tent...mainly over watering in the main room. ill try to search for that list, should be on here??

there's 3 what?

damn, those Jardin's are lots of money!!! why, lol

Scrogerman

Veteran
3 different tent types from secret jardin iirc, not the size, you'll see it in the name & price, build quality/materials etc, i think im right here!

The Jardins are fkin nice, thats why lol! good qual! you got me loooking now!

Do a secret jardin reviews search bro! I picked up a DR120 for a buddy, got 20% off, i always try to haggle if im spending/multi purchasing etc. you might get lucky like i did, my buddy was well happy! I want one but im stuck in my old ways & tend to build cabs, get a little more head room. ;)(not important if your in control, Scrog, Lst etc)

Last edited:
J

joejusttyped

I have a white HomeBox. Plastic smell was gone in 2-3 days and I haven't looked back since. I figured the mylar tents would raise ambient temps and that is something I can't have.

evertking

Im looking at the homebox also.. i have a SJ 120 and the canvas is junk.. yeah, nice tent in the short run... but... I would like to see how much stronger they made the canvas on the new one but think im going to go with the homebox.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
dude if u were using the old one with no issues its non toxic... u would know if ya had a bad one... i got a white one it is fine but the mylar tents are much better... i like my dr150s alot because the they are really 5x5 my gl145 is bout4ft9 and the 3 in on each side actually make a big difference..in my case. but keepin there enviroment dialed in sux dehumid ac constantly runnin.... i really want to go back to standard rooms someday....

greenduck

thanks for the homebox info...i cant have any radiant heat also so ill check them out. how much did you pay for a 4x8?

supermanlives

Veteran
if your white tent was toxic you would already know it as plants wont live very long . ask me how i know . i had 2 bad tents

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
any tent, with a degree of negative pressure, will exchange the air negating offgassing.

only way i see offgassing being an issue is if the venting ceases at lights off; using CO2 precludes venting, so that could present a problem too.

...oh btw, the reflective film reflects heat as well...

good luck bro.

Last edited:

supermanlives

Veteran
any tent, with a degree of negative pressure, will exchange the air negating offgassing.

only way i see offgassing being an issue is if the venting ceases at lights off; using CO2 precludes venting, so that could present a problem too.

...oh btw, the reflective film reflects heat as well...

good luck bro.
pure bullshit. i lost plants in veg with full ventillation and the zipper open slightly. 2 tents worth. i finally just used the poles and started my hydrohut rebuild album. you dont have a clue what your talking about. the first time i was clueless. then i heard rumors and contacted company , then got replacement material from the company but didnt put all my eggs in one basket, and it was the same material white and killed my plants. i had plenty more ready to go so no big loss.