What's new

While in Amsterdam..

K

KMK0420

For the other American travellers out there, how do you normally deal with your financial situation?

What i mean by that is..

Obviously things need to be payed for, hotel, dinner, food, drinks, etc.

Do you guys just put it all on your debit/credit card, or do you switch it all up to cash?

I know i will have to convert a portion of my spending money, but do coffee shops prefer cash or do they not care if its a debit card/visa?

how about restaurants & snack places. do they accept both cash & debit?

are there fees associated with using your debit card overseas either by the vendor or the card's bank?

If i have to convert all my money i will, but i'm just trying to take the -least- amount of cash over there.

My expenses include Hotel for 7 nights (Greenhouse Effect), Food/Dinner/Snacks, drugs/alcoholic drinks, cab fees (if needed), train fares if need, etc etc.

In the experienced travellers opinion, what expenses are best paid for through debit and what expenses are best paid for through cash?

Thanks to ANYONE who gives me some input on this!!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you can pay for your hotel with credit card same with most restuarants. but when it comes to the coffee shops you are better off with cash. as i don't think they all take credit cards.

but you really don't have to worry amsterdam is nothing like the big cities in the us. so you can carry money on you no problem.

CCronik

Ive never used a debit card in a shop before but im sure its possible. While I was in A'dam last week I used my debit card and got the lowest transaction charge from RabboBank it was $1.75 If I remeber correctly. As long as you contact your bank and notify them that your going to be out of the country then theres no reason that you cant take the majority of your money in plastic. I wouldnt pay for the hotel upfront before seeing it unless youve stayed there before as the Dutch dont like to give money back.

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
cash is best for coffeeshops and food.
Im not sure if your debit card will work at business's. at ATM's they should be fine.

imho using a credit or debit card for anything cannabis related is not the wisest.

also cash is the quickest.. i hate waiting in line for people using plastic.
:fsu:

Last edited:
K

KMK0420

so basically take cash for everything besides the hotel (AFTER i see it)..

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Debit or credit cards are NOT accepted in coffeeshops. Cash only. Credit cards are not as widely accepted in Holland as they are in N. America. You can use your debit/credit card in most Netherlands' ATM's. Traveler's checks are another good way to carry your $$, if you dont want to carry that much cash around. There is an American Express office located on the Damrak. Keep your money and valuables (including your luggage) close at all times. Pickpocketing and petty theft are pretty common in Amsterdam. Have a great trip, KMK0430! I'm sure you will. ;) Peace.

growkind

Everytime i went over this is what i did.
Booked both my hotel and airfare thru hotwire, expedia, ect. That way all you need is spending cash.
Converted some but not much american cash to euro before i left at thr airport. They rape you there, but is just so you have alittle as soon as you get off the plane for train fare ect.
And just took over my Visa Check card or any credit card you know the pin # and hit the atm's over there, their all over the place and you get the international world exchange rate at that time. you will have to contact your bank or CC company if any fees applie, which was the case for me, not much tho, and it sure beats allthe exchange places they have over there, cause they'll rape ya

Go to the bank and get you some traveler's checks, or use your debit card in the ATMs....That's what I did from Amsterdam to Budapest.....never had any problems. I did use a credit card for reservations though.....

Have fun!!!
Cheers!

Last edited:
K

KMK0420

well i will be taking some food in my luggage so i have something over there to eat and wont have to eat out EVERY night..

i think the plan is going to be just put my hotel on my card, and when it comes to things like weed, drinks, restaurants, etc i'll just pay in cash. i'm looking for the best (and cheapest) place to exchange dollar to euro here in my city before i leave, and i heard banks are the worst places to get it done..

vodoochild

You may check with the TSA website and see if its ok to bring food in your lugage. Some things you may not be able to bring across international borders. I know theyre pretty strict when it comes to fruits and vegies but can food or boxed may be ok tho. Hate for your first trip to start of wrong. It makes for a much much longer flight. :joint:

K

KMK0420

alright, all i planned ont aking were sealed tuna packets you find at wal-mart and a box of protein bars.

tsa website doesnt mention too much about sealed packaged unopened food, but im assuming it will be allowed in my luggage and not my carry on

Last edited:
so basically take cash for everything besides the hotel (AFTER i see it)..

KMK0420 - best to pay cash for your hotel as well - because most charge a 5% surcharge for credit card (i've even come across hotels (the Munt in Fredrickspline) which dont take credit/debit cards at all - They sent me to the ATM !! )

Have a great time

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
@ KMKO420

yeah i would put any food you want to bring in the checkin bag. the rule about liquids is only for carry on lugage.

@ brightside

yeah good point, they do charge 5% with credit cards. as far as not taking them, if you can reserve with your card you should be able to pay with it, i would think? if you wanna be sure, ask the hotel your planning to use.

can't wait till we are all there again having us a great time.

Flasht2

Amen Gaius. I would think if you can reserve with your card you should be able to finalize the pay as well... and ya I cannot wait til' we are all hanging out smoked out having a great time and feeling the good international vibes just being humans :joint:

K

KMK0420

can't wait. i'll be staying @ the GHE april 18-25 i believe..

anyone, and i mean anyone who's down for a drink or smoke, you're more than welcome. just let me know!

Germanator

You are going to love your stay in the Green house effect. On my last trip I stayed in the top suite. 2 story...enough room to sleep 6 with comfort, and there were only 4 of us...great time. Oh, and don't miss out on the compliment breakfast/volcano.

Germ

Latest posts

Latest posts