What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

While Curing, when you burp your jars, do you "pour" out the CO2?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
When we cure in jars, the purpose of opening and 'burping' the jars is to vent the CO2 that has been released from the weed during the cure.....right?

CO2 is heavier than air so it sits at the bottom of the jar... right?

Back home I had an awesome grow setup and I had a dedicated room and tent just for drying and curing. When I opened the jars that I cure in, a huge fan passed over the top of the jars and blew any CO2 out of the jars providing a wonderful air exchange.

However. my new setup is different and I am simple curing the jars in the 65F garage. When I open the jars to burp them, I turn them upside down and 'pour out' the CO2.

This made sense from a logical point of view but somehow it seems crazy.

Is it real or is it OCD?

:)

Reactions: Gry

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I don't think so... not during curing. However, after the cure when you are storing it...THEN, you want O2 out. That's why I vacuum pack all my stored weed.

Besides, if that were true, why do we burp?

Then again, I could be wrong. Maybe someone will set us straight.

Reactions: Gry
I would think it would be better to keep the CO2 in and the O2 out.
The term climacteric was initially proposed to indicate the dramatic increase in respiration (rise in the production level of CO2) of fruit during ripening. Therefore, crops have been classified as climacteric or non-climacteric according to their respiratory patterns. Cannabis is climacteric. It needs to respire.

goingrey

I don't think so. By the time we are in the curing stage, the buds are already dried sufficiently. At that point, (for the most part) the danger of mold is over. But, again.... I could be mistaken.
Having lost a couple of jars over the years I've forgotten about to mold, I'm sad to say you are. Depends on the species of mold too, there are many.. some can make do with less moisture and heat.

Finepointcanon

Veteran
Now, I'm not necessarily recommending this method because it seems like a possible entry point to your lungs for particulate matter / mold spores, but I used to place an empty Bic pen tube to the bottom of my jars and "drink" the air from the bottom of each jar, allowing fresh air to rush in from the top thus fully replacing the air in each jar in just a few seconds.

shithawk420

Veteran
Idk I think we're over thinking this.i doubt a quart or whatever jar your thinking is gonna make a difference.i really believe it's negligent.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Actually, after great thought and considerable deliberation I leave the jars upright and use the box lid to fan and circulate the air in the jars. Duh.

I often claim that I don't get high from pot but then I start a thread like this and I wonder......

mexweed

Veteran
not really, occasionally the lid will be a bit snug but I have never had the lid pop up due to pressure, mostly what I am going for is noticing a smell and circulating it out of the jar with fresh air and the burping process is dissipating that smell until I no longer notice it, it's just that fresh weed smell vs the profile the strain is supposed to express, not a damp or stale smell, leeching out the last bit of moisture from the inner stem

goingrey

I thought the purpose of burping was to release the moisture that has moved from the inside of the bud to the outside.
Yes exactly. But difficult to do without introducing fresh air in so it's both really. And CO2 is heavier than air hence the pour. It makes total sense and seems silly at the same time.

Latest posts

Latest posts