What's new

Which video downloader for a smartphone?

Cuddles

So the other day I found a cool new video downloader to use on a computer but I can´ use it on my smartphone.
I am therefore hoping somebody here can recommend a good and FREE programme to try out. :)
My phone is an Android.

Cvh

Supermod
I would just install the most downloaded/popular one from the Google store and try it out. If I wouldn't like for a certain reason then try another one.

Cuddles

I would just install the most downloaded/popular one from the Google store and try it out. If I wouldn't like for a certain reason then try another one.

that´s kinda what I was thinking too. But I thought I ´d ask around anyway. I really like 4k for my desktop but it´s not available for the phone :(

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
My phone is an Android.
As an ex smart-freak(i own 3 android-phones and 2 android-tablets ^^) i strongly recommend NewPipe, it's the best for viewing(without ads) and downloading on youtube. :) It's constantly updating, see the android-communities...

When downloading on a (windows)pc from websites that's another story... but i only need that for my animes and 'Video DownloadHelper' does the job for many years now.

Last edited:

goingrey

As an ex smart-freak(i own 3 android-phones and 2 android-tablets ^^) i strongly recommend NewPipe, it's the best for viewing(without ads) and downloading on youtube. :) It's constantly updating, see the android-communities...

When downloading on a (windows)pc from websites that's another story... but i only need that for my animes and 'Video DownloadHelper' does the job for many years now.
Thanks!

Seems to be very good. Not just for downloads but will also show age-restricted content without an account and let you listen to music without the phone's screen being on (unlike Youtube in a browser).

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
Yeah, it's very comfy. I like that too when i want only audio from a video on my 10" Tablet when in bed... saves battery also. The audio/brightness controls(when swiping up/down on each display side) are nice too. I'm using the app for ~ 5years now.

Cuddles

thanks for the tip :)
I installed another I found but it didn´t really work.
As for PC downloads I have been using 4k video downloader and it works really well. But so far I have used it mainly for youtube. It is suppose to work for other sites but I haven´t really tried them yet.
Once upon a time I used Savenet for YT but 4k is much better :)

SO, do you get your animes from youtube? Any recommendations for us? :)

Ca++

I have noticed you like downloading, and have to wonder why. A stream is instant and isn't a redistribution of copywrited material, that can get you an instant ban from many service providers. No download manager. No running exe's your unsure of. It's just there playing. Downloading reaches back to the days when our connections could barely play the radio. Every video source is streamed now. Iplayer/netflix/whatever. Downloading just seems like going out of your way to make things difficult. Unless you are preparing for a long flight, where you need your own copy.

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
The internet and its content can change every minute... than its possible gone.

I'm a member of amazon prime video from time to time, every time i'm coming back there are a lot of movies and series which i bookmarked and then cost extra or are gone. You just can't rely on something on the net, that's why i'm a friend of watching offline. And amazon itself offers you to download to watch offline with their apps for mobiles and pcs. ;)

Also some people don't have the best connection, that's still reality, even in richer countries...

Cuddles

I have noticed you like downloading, and have to wonder why. A stream is instant and isn't a redistribution of copywrited material, that can get you an instant ban from many service providers. No download manager. No running exe's your unsure of. It's just there playing. Downloading reaches back to the days when our connections could barely play the radio. Every video source is streamed now. Iplayer/netflix/whatever. Downloading just seems like going out of your way to make things difficult. Unless you are preparing for a long flight, where you need your own copy.
I prefer downloading and I don´t see how it´s different from the old days when people would tape stuff from television using VCRs. Plus, when I download a TV recording I also get the commercials which can be kinda interesting sometimes.
When you have your own copy, it´s always available and you don´t need internet connection, which is pretty expensive.
Plus, all the points which @Mitsuharu mentioned, so it just seems to make more sense. Besides, streaming services usually want more of your money, right ;)

Last edited:

Ca++

The internet and its content can change every minute... than its possible gone.

I'm a member of amazon prime video from time to time, every time i'm coming back there are a lot of movies and series which i bookmarked and then cost extra or are gone. You just can't rely on something on the net, that's why i'm a friend of watching offline. And amazon itself offers you to download to watch offline with their apps for mobiles and pcs. ;)

Also some people don't have the best connection, that's still reality, even in richer countries...
Yes the legal sources are digging their own holes right now. We imagined they would become massive libraries over time, but instead they constantly steer you to watch certain things. People are realising this and these services are loosing customers quickly.
I don't imagine, from the things cuddles lists, that she would be using a legal service. I don't myself, as the illegal ones collect all the legal stuff into one place and don't charge you.

I have found the file sharing apps to suffer from things going missing, such as entire episodes. The internet is set up for streaming. The number of sources is immense and they are proper servers not peoples home PCs. Posts looking for software show how limited the choice is. While a google search offers links at the bottom to all the decent sites the industry would like blocking. There is nothing I can't watch right away, and I don't have to download a blueray or 4k to watch on an HD monitor. It's much less data.

Cuddles

Yes the legal sources are digging their own holes right now. We imagined they would become massive libraries over time, but instead they constantly steer you to watch certain things. People are realising this and these services are loosing customers quickly.
I don't imagine, from the things cuddles lists, that she would be using a legal service. I don't myself, as the illegal ones collect all the legal stuff into one place and don't charge you.

I have found the file sharing apps to suffer from things going missing, such as entire episodes. The internet is set up for streaming. The number of sources is immense and they are proper servers not peoples home PCs. Posts looking for software show how limited the choice is. While a google search offers links at the bottom to all the decent sites the industry would like blocking. There is nothing I can't watch right away, and I don't have to download a blueray or 4k to watch on an HD monitor. It's much less data.
As far as I know the service I mainly use IS legal :)
And I heard years ago that youtube is now as there was a lot of discussion about it - TV channels and so on. Some channels even have their own youtube channels these days, plus advertising etc.
I just don´t like it when I need internet connéction and I so don´t like streaming at all.

I still don´t know what Netflix looks like. I just keep seeing it advertised. I also noticed that TV channels are actually advertising their own productions in order to get people to view their new own stuff on say, Netflix or similar places instead of showing it on regular TV. WTF?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I prefer copies for ease of use, use when no connection available (*gasp* yes, it does happen lol) and much better volume control than any app provides. ;)