What's new

Which Mix & Organic liquids do you Recommend?

G

I am using Botanicare's Ready grow Moist formula. I used most of the bag on my last grow. I was going to get more of the same exact thing. Now I am thinking about changing but I am not sure. I kinda though all coco was about the same. I know some has less salts than others do, but otherwise, basically they're all the same stuff.
By using liquid food I wanted to learn and watch my plants eat. My first grow turned out great. I want better!
The first garden was eating B.C. Bloom, Boost & grow. A 3-part nutrient feed. I also have Thrive alive Red and green as well as Awesome Blossom. The foods made herb way better then I had hoped would come out. Now that I have the basics, I want too improve.
I was looking into Bio Bizz from General Hydroponics. It's all organic liquid food.

The reason for this post is too find out which foods I CAN NOT use more than which ones TO use. Everybody has there own beliefs as far as organic or hydro. I figured that a mix lighter than dirt, but still organic would give the speed of Hydro with the Benefits of dirt. Am I right?
Now if I can get the taste of Organic dirt from a mix and liquids, Sign me up!

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
They may not be 100% organic, but FoxFarm & Botanicare nutes work excellent and still maintain that organic flavor...there's really not any nutes that I know of that won't work if they are applied correctly tho, so I'd say find one that you're comfy growing with and just tweak the feeding to the coco.

G

What about coco and compost?

What about coco and compost?

Does compost work well to add to a coco mix?
I have a coco-mix which I want to feed organically. I though compost and soil took up more space than coco. I mean, I though the pots had to be bigger than if you used coco. Is this right?
I am very limited in space but still want benefits from living organic soil. I just read an old article of Nebu's and it got me pumped about organics.
So I guess you treat coco like you would treat rockwool, Not soil?
Will guano or blood meal just be washed away?

Sorry for the rant, But i am a little... :joint:
Thanks for making a place for cool people to talk! :woohoo: :woohoo:

nandro

I like leaving my coco pure, non-ammended, so I am getting tha most from my nutes. Flushing between rez cleanings/nute changings is very non-problematic, as well.

You don't need any bigger or smaller pots for coco. Size of pots determines the overall size of yer plants, so pick accordingly. I'm sure that Nebu article got you stoked, but stick to organic soil mixes if enriching your soil with tons of ammendments is your gig. Ammended coco will give you more problems in the end. Just leave it pure + your drainage material [which can be a number of things] for best results.

Peace,
Nandro :sasmokin:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
if i wanted to do a organic coco grow i would use one of those new organic multi purpose fertilizers, that specifically mentions coco. canna's bio line for example will work in coco as long as you are hand watering, as those bio nutes do not stay usable for more then a few hours, hence no automated system, also it's thick pasty stuff and is said by canna to block your dripper setups. but if i wanted to hand water that's what i'd use with the basics; rhizotonic or similar. cannazym or similar. pk 13/14 and maybe bioboost if you got the cash.

but what ever else, i'd leave the coco pure like nandro says, it's perfect the way it is. you can only complicate matters by adding stuff and make more work and mess for yourself then necessary.

that's my 2 cents anyway.

G

Kinda what I thought

Kinda what I thought

The bio bizz line is the direction I was headed. Do these nutrient really make the smoke taste like organic soil grown or just Better than Chemmy Hydro?
Also, how do products like "Sweet" work in coco mixes?
I would think this is where this stuff would shine
Thanks

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
if you do a good job of flushing the coco a few days before harvest, you get a fantastic taste. that's using canna's water soluble nutrients anyway. with pure organics you probably need to stop N 14 days before harvest to be sure it's all used up and lets your plants own tast and flavour come out to the full. as for sweet it seems to be a good product from what i hear. same with liquid karma.

G

Bio Bizz it is

Bio Bizz it is

I want to water by hand. The bio bizz line is sold at my grow shop. I would like to use the worm castings, bone meal and kelp for Organics, but I don't know enough!
I don't have enough room to use a mix of ingredients and just feed with water for the whole cycle. All of the soil-mixes that have food in them take up more room than my 1-gallon square pots. I think I would need 3-5 Gallon pots. That wouldn't work for me.

The only reasonable totally organic alternative I found could possibly work was a raised bed garden. A box of dirt with multiple plants growing in it. This would be difficult because of the confined space I grow in.

If there is an alternative way of growing organic herb in a small space 4x4x4, Without liquid fertilizers, Let me know!!!
I would like to try another way if it isn't a waste of space.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
nah liquid ferts is the way to go, specially in coco. otherwise you defeat the whole object of coco which is to make it easy. and not to have these hugee containers of medium.

G

What gives coco the ability to use space more efficiently than dirt?

What gives coco the ability to use space more efficiently than dirt?

Why can you use smaller pots for coco than for soil?
Is there more space in the coco than in normal dirt?
That's my guess.
A determining factor for me to use coco instead of dirt was 1 Gallon of coco-mix yields more than 1 Gallon of dirt in the Same containers. Is this even true?

Should I ask this in a new thread?

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
nice seedling the Slickster, i'm looking forward to seeing how things go with your organic method. should be interesting. specially using the cannabio line as liquid supplement to the medium mix you have.

G

Organic liquids

Organic liquids

Pure Blend Pro I always thought wasn't organic?
I want a good taste but don't have much space.
Help Me find a method which will work for me.

G

MIKEYPDC said:
Why can you use smaller pots for coco than for soil?
Is there more space in the coco than in normal dirt?
That's my guess.
A determining factor for me to use coco instead of dirt was 1 Gallon of coco-mix yields more than 1 Gallon of dirt in the Same containers. Is this even true?

Should I ask this in a new thread?

i already asked for u duke lol

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=47350

Texas Kid

Botanicare's Pure Blend Pro grow and flower, Liquid karma, Cal-mag Plus, Hygrozyme, and Hydroplex or molasses, you could use a little Sweet in there for good measure at the transition to 12/12. You could sub in Topmax from Bio Bizz as a bloom booster as well.

That's as 100% Organic hydro as it gets in commercial bottled stuff.

Chemmy nutes give that metallic hydro chemical taste and an improper flush.

Tex

G

Will soil do anything for flavor?

Will soil do anything for flavor?

Pure Blend Pro isn't advertised as 100% organic. It says hydro-Organic. I would guess if it doesn't have any bad tasting chemicals added, just enough to be beneficial, and not too much to be problematic, it would enhance the end product. If the chemicals in the fertilizer are specifically produced and used with natural substances so that they don't build up and affect taste. It seems like that's the idea of lots of awesome stuff like PBP or Advanced Nutrients. Age old seems so simple and good, 1 bottle.

I think I will make a few more posts and maybe a poll to see who likes what for taste as far as liquid nutes. PBP, Age Old, Bio Bizz and Metanaturals are my top contenders. A poll would be the easiest I think.

A question is,
What does the addition of soil/dirt do to the taste and yield?
If I use the same size containers and add dirt to the coco-mix I'm using, What changes, If any, could I expect? Also, What Percentage of dirt would I have to add to do anything? My mix is 35%perlite, 55%coco & 10% organic amendments.
I keep reading how soil grown bud is superior! Can I cheat by using 20% dirt to my coco-mix to get the soil grown flavor?
I can't tell if this is stupid thinking? :chin:
Well, if so, :moon: :joint:

G

I am a soil grower and have to say soil is the easiest way to get the tastiest buds. Thats why it's great for beginers. Soil needs to be flushed as well. I know some may not agree but I've done it both ways and it helps alot. Now I think coco can make just as good of tasting buds but it will be harder. Organics is the first step. Growing a healthy plant is the second. Then I think if you just flush her out mid way thru and again at the end she'll taste just like a soil grown plant but you will get more, faster.

G

Which foods make the flavor better?

Which foods make the flavor better?

Shmokin said:
I am a soil grower and have to say soil is the easiest way to get the tastiest buds. Thats why it's great for beginers. Soil needs to be flushed as well. I know some may not agree but I've done it both ways and it helps alot. Now I think coco can make just as good of tasting buds but it will be harder. Organics is the first step. Growing a healthy plant is the second. Then I think if you just flush her out mid way thru and again at the end she'll taste just like a soil grown plant but you will get more, faster.
If you know you will get more from coco, why don't you use a mix?
I figure the only thing that makes the plants taste any better are the variety of foods a plant could utilize.
Will a plant be able to absorb natural ingredients with a chemical fertilizer present?
Will the plant just use the most readily available nutrients and leave the rest?

G

MIKEYPDC said:
If you know you will get more from coco, why don't you use a mix?
I figure the only thing that makes the plants taste any better are the variety of foods a plant could utilize.
Will a plant be able to absorb natural ingredients with a chemical fertilizer present?
Will the plant just use the most readily available nutrients and leave the rest?
Those are good question that I have not thought about before. (except about using a mix) My guess would be the simplest route for a plant to absorb a food is what it would do whether its chem or organic or a little of both.

How do you think a mix of soil and coco will change my watering schedule? Will I be watering more or less? You are not supposed to let coco dry out like you can with soil. Mixing it would mean learing a whole new way of growing. Maybe an experiment on a few plants just to start.

G

Perhaps the fact that some ferts are only 90% organic means the chems don't kill it off. I'll raise this question in the organic forum.

G

Will the plants just take the easiest, most available food?

Will the plants just take the easiest, most available food?

Shmokin said:
Those are good question that I have not thought about before. (except about using a mix) My guess would be the simplest route for a plant to absorb a food is what it would do whether its chem or organic or a little of both.
How do you think a mix of soil and coco will change my watering schedule? Will I be watering more or less? You are not supposed to let coco dry out like you can with soil. Mixing it would mean learing a whole new way of growing. Maybe an experiment on a few plants just to start.
Your watering wouldn't have to change very much if at all. You would just have to try and balance out what parts of what to what? I mean, if you add coco, get long fiber coco to water less. You can use less perlite and more vermiculite. You can even use moisture crystals.
I have a bag of Miracle Grow Moisture Control. That's the reasons for asking if dirt would help. I think the water holding ability of coco is way different than soil.
I am gonna try a mixture for myself as well.
Where are the experts doing all this kind of testing?

The Slickster said:
Another question is, if you start a bio culture in the coco or mix with OMRI organic Canna-bio or Earth Juice, and if you later add P-K chemicals too boost P and K in flowering, does the plant--> roots suffer because of bacteria die off and such from the chemicals P and K? Assuming a 100% (not 90%) organic grow regardless of ammendments added to the coco like perlite, peat moss, sand, wood chips, etc.
I would think putting any food in the medium would add to the life? If there is food for the bacteria and the envoironment is correct, they will thrive. The problem is there are harmful bacteria in competition with the good ones. Thats a reason for adding more "beneficial" micro-life.
I wonder if the organic stuff, which helps with the bacteria, doesn't get used by the plant if there is available chemical nutrients?
I imagine all fertilizers are made to be readily and easily available to the plants. Synthetic foods fill nutrient requirements in hydro systems.
If a plant has access to a wide array of nutrients, Chemical and organic, which get absorbed first?
This is key in my quest for the best flavor. If the organics don't get used they won't add any tastes.
How much dirt to coco-mix do you think I should try?
If there is no shortage of synthetic food, will the organics even be used?
I think this is the idea of nutes like PBP. Hydro-organic.

Latest posts

Latest posts