What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which led light is affordable?

smartgrower1995

Hi guys, I want to replace my HPS with LED light? but there are too many led lights to choose, please recommend me some affordable light:thank you::dance013:

smartgrower1995

I have one VIPARSPECTRA 300w, but it did no help to my baby, so I want to try some other lights, hope you guys can recommend some affordable lights to me, thanks:tiphat:

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I have lights from Timber Grow Lights and Truth LED and they were both affordable.

-Funk

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
PetFlora has good luck with Amare. I like Dwarf Star's penetration but they need a higher ceiling. Black Dog is great for being closer to shorter plants but is more expensive.
URSA, an ICMag sponsor, is less expensive than Black Dog and intermediate in distance from the plant tops.

I am sure there are more but I do not have personal knowledge of most.

smartgrower1995

Phaeton, thanks for your info, yes, the distance is important, I am growing my new plants with grow tent, so I have to consider the distance.
About the URSA, did you try it? is it suitable for grow tent? thanks

Desert Hydro

Veteran
built not bought :)

ive since learned that my first builds with one COB per sq ft are much too potent at 600w over a 4x4. now im thinking 9 cobs evenly spaced at 600w would be perfect. this would cut the build cost substantially

Attachments

• IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1882.JPG
    IMG_1882.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 23

kelly1376

ive since learned that my first builds with one COB per sq ft are much too potent at 600w over a 4x4. now im thinking 9 cobs evenly spaced at 600w would be perfect. this would cut the build cost substantially

Wow man that's a nice setup. What kind of cobs are you running and what efficiency numbers? Just goes to show that a good setup with high umol/watt and great distribution need not have tremendously high wattage to be effective.

Phychotron

I've tried a few over the years and am very happy with my Advanced LED Light.

Me too. I bought a DS400 in 2011, needed repairs 2.5 yrs later they replaced the light board--it also had an issue 6 months after the 3 yr warranty was up, they sent me another light board for it. Kept the old one, bought some drivers and got it fired up. It doesn't work as well as the full version with the lenses (although it might be my error in height adjustment) but I just pulled .9 gram/watt using both with a few DS100's on the sides.

I had some issues and didn't get the yield I was expecting (fed my plants acid, hot/dry a few days with no cooling fan, plethora of minor issues) but not bad considering I was on the brink of just chopping them down at week 3 cause they looked so poor.

Actually did a grow log this last run too..

growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/823578

I have the XML650 and although I like it I still wish it was larger and more spread out for better coverage. This is why I prefer multiple fixtures, two DS400's side by side instead of one larger square.

Advanced LED is great and they handle the warranty issues well, I'd recommend them any day.

picture.php

picture.php

smartgrower1995

zachrockbadenof, really? I have been using the VIPARSPECTRA 300w more than one month, nothing happened, just the result is not good like some people said, so sorry to hear that, hope mine will be fine

smartgrower1995

Wow, so cool, you are so smart! But DIY needs too much time and energy, I'm afraid I can't do that, which brand light parts do you like? may be I can try the light, thanks:dance013:

smartgrower1995

Me too. I bought a DS400 in 2011, needed repairs 2.5 yrs later they replaced the light board--it also had an issue 6 months after the 3 yr warranty was up, they sent me another light board for it. Kept the old one, bought some drivers and got it fired up. It doesn't work as well as the full version with the lenses (although it might be my error in height adjustment) but I just pulled .9 gram/watt using both with a few DS100's on the sides.

I had some issues and didn't get the yield I was expecting (fed my plants acid, hot/dry a few days with no cooling fan, plethora of minor issues) but not bad considering I was on the brink of just chopping them down at week 3 cause they looked so poor.

Actually did a grow log this last run too..

growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/823578

I have the XML650 and although I like it I still wish it was larger and more spread out for better coverage. This is why I prefer multiple fixtures, two DS400's side by side instead of one larger square.

Advanced LED is great and they handle the warranty issues well, I'd recommend them any day.

View Image

View Image

Thank you, I've seen the Advanced light, it's expensive, could you please recommend me some other affordable lights? thanks:tiphat:

Phychotron

I had a GroBlu that I was happy with but they burned out a diode in every pod by the end of a year. The guy sent the replacement pods and went out of business a few months later. I stopped buying other peoples lights.

Fluence looks like they have good lights. I originally wanted one of theirs but was too expensive at the time. Now its comparable in price with Advanced.

Sorry, if you go cheap you risk wasting your money. Some people swear by Mars but I've seen them and would NEVER bother buying one for myself.

Depends on application and needs. Some people who just need a little weed and don't care about quality so much (but still good smoke, just less dense, slower growth) can get by with cheap LED's-- college kids, old people, etc.

You can get the knock off version of Advanced around the internet. Not sure how well it works but its out there-- It might be the exact same thing just being sold by a different company, I dunno. The LED market is really complicated at the moment.