What's new

Which Lamps for LED grow Man?

what about thisw light?' and what color should i choose 300k?3500k? 4000k?
im autoflowergrower

http://opticgrowlights.com/250-watt-vero-led-grow-light.html#!/~/

That looks like a nice light. For the price you could easily build 2 of those with vero 29 chips. That one has vero 18 chips. They put a driver per cob but you could drive all of them on 1 driver. I'd choose 3000k or 3500k for flower. Or higher for veg. Im sure it would kick ass though.

Peace, Roast.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
1) he refers to PLC because they use the cobs for which there are hundreds of documented grows showing good results where r the good grows with Amare?

2) yes amares' tech has been out longer(older less efficient- and dont try and argue this pet i know exactly what diodes they use and what those diodes can do compared to the cxb3070BB bin[PLC]). additional blues reds and IR-another level yes, just not necessarily a level up

3)a cob only light can easily out perform a light like amare because there are more photons coming off it within par range, plus the cobs produce all those bandwithds anyway

thank you for actually asking a reasonable question for once:thank you:

He started by saying 'in his opinion', rather than making a stupid comment like Amare is crap, so he got a reasonable answer.

The problem with your assessment is the Cree CoB that Amare uses is simply a smaller version than the larger. If you read the product page you will see that.

Now, larger space growers may want the larger, but Amare now offers the Pro9 with all the extra diodes

I am not going to argue the absolute benefits of surrounding each CoB with red, blue and IR diodes. To me it's like having a high performance, but naturally aspirated engine vs one with a turbo or supercharger. Most will never use the extra umph, but they make a smaller engine perform more like a big one

Koondense

Veteran
@fumitsu
The GN guys are reinventing the wheel, instead of testing a proper cob product by cree, they simulated a cob model like the Phosphor light PetFlora once used.
Seems to me thy are not being honest to us nor themselves, by seeing many finished grows(and doing one by myself)with cxb chips there is no doubt they are much more efficent than hid lamps.
So in my view they lost a bit of my respect with that statement.

Sforza

Veteran
What do you think of the latest Grownorthern(very smart people) declarations in on another forum:

"Dont get me wrong, white light led grow systems aren't without merit especially when the grow light needs to be a working light also. COB's are also perfect for DIY projects as there is no need for any extra surface mounting or custom MCPCB's. Good luck with the build and if you want any advise feel free to pm me.

We did some testing on an OEM remote phosphor white/full spectrum grow light we produced last year. The phosphor was developed by GN and another US based company and It was tailored specifically for horticulture (I will put a link to the pdf we had if I can find it). The test unit had the highest efficiency blue emitters from CREE, a highly reflective mixing chamber and the OEM phosphor. We found that results where at best comparible watt for watt to a good quality HPS system (ballast, lamp and parabolic reflector). Using high quality monochromatic LED's, single stage holographic optics and our dominant deep red spectrum we can replicate the results of a good quality HPS with at maximum 2/3 the power consumption".

I think it is bulljive, pure and simple. Cree 3590 3000K or 3500K for the win.

Sforza

Veteran
He started by saying 'in his opinion', rather than making a stupid comment like Amare is crap, so he got a reasonable answer.

The problem with your assessment is the Cree CoB that Amare uses is simply a smaller version than the larger. If you read the product page you will see that.

Now, larger space growers may want the larger, but Amare now offers the Pro9 with all the extra diodes

I am not going to argue the absolute benefits of surrounding each CoB with red, blue and IR diodes. To me it's like having a high performance, but naturally aspirated engine vs one with a turbo or supercharger. Most will never use the extra umph, but they make a smaller engine perform more like a big one

There is nothing like cubic inches when it comes to an engine and there is nothing like a COB 3590 when it comes to growing great ganja with an LED. If only those red, blue and IR diodes really made a difference, you might have a point, but the difference they make, if any, is marginal.

It is marketing hype, pure and simple. The red, blue and IR diodes they add are less expensive for them to use than either switching to CXB3590 COBs or using more CXB3070 COBs. So instead they add some inexpensive red, blue and IR diodes, add some pseudo-scientific sounding marketing hype, and see if they can find any suckers to believe it and shell out big money for weak lights. It seems like it has worked in at least one case.

---------------------

What are some of the most common everyday cons?
A lot of advertising and marketing is a type of a con. If they’re trying to sell you something that you don’t need or doesn’t do what it says, it’s a minor con. One of the most common scams that we see every day is the snake-oil salesman. Anyone who watches Dr. Oz has seen this. You don’t need to run into someone who’s a con artist to be exposed to one.

Why do so many cons go unreported?
One, we often don’t want to acknowledge to ourselves that we’ve been conned. It’s crazy how often you have people who, even when you present them with evidence that they’ve been the victim of a scam, refuse to believe it. The other thing is even if we do realize we’ve been scammed, we often don’t want to let other people know, because we’re embarrassed. One of the con artists that I follow in the book, the mass impostor Ferdinand Demara, was able to operate over and over because nobody reported him. One of his most daring escapades was fooling the Canadian Navy during the Korean War by posing as a surgeon, and the Navy never pressed charges.

Recently I was conned out of $5 by a shoe shiner in Turkey, and what was remarkable was that there was no outright lying involved, just the sneaky construction of a situation in which I voluntarily offered him money, making me complicit in my own conning. Would you say it’s usual that victims are active participants?
Absolutely. I think we’re almost always active participants in our own conning. It’s scary how many times con artists don’t break the law at all. They didn’t steal; you willingly handed over cash. The whole premise of the confidence game is that they ask for your confidence, and you give it to them. We con ourselves as much as they con us, because we supply the missing links, we tell ourselves the story that we want to hear.

Dion

There is nothing like cubic inches when it comes to an engine and there is nothing like a COB 3590 when it comes to growing great ganja with an LED.

:yeahthats

and @petflorra i guess i wasnt clear enough but i know that amare uses cxa2530s T2 bins what im saying is that 1 single cxb3070(smaller than the 3590) will outperform that cluster

jikko77

@Pet, weren't you saying burple led were crap? and i do agree on that.

i'm not the only keeping in comparision pcl vs most of the other pannel, do you forget the growmau5 channel? that's the very first place i've heard that name.
he did a whole video keeping that pannel as reference, comparision and whatelse.
weren't me suggesting his channel.
in the italian section, there is ONE person i do think is working for spectra, and belive it or not, he know his stuff, and he did spread some very good suggestion, and no, it wasn't an advertise on what to buy.

there are a lot of grow report on icmag, grow done with cxa and even more with the cxb series, and i'm not talking of other forum, where you can find some other "nice" info too.
those grow are great, well documented and show what cree leds are capable off.
most friends here are using cree as well, and the people talk and talk alot.

the imho was related, in specific, to this
- the possibility of future upgrade is a very very big surplus, plus i'm in love with the whole "hacking" possibility bihind those pannel.

what uv and ir add to a grow pannel, and i mean what they add for real? insecticide? mould control? stretch controll? woulden't be better to just add a different cob with a different cri and/or K° temperature? with a 3500°k i didn't noticed a "big" stretch, the ladies are a very compact bush.

the color gammut show into cree spec is, overall, one of the best and better documented by far.
and since we are playing with light ...

@Diskokobaja: isn't so hard make this kind of pannel. there are a lot of info to read, a lot of thread tell you what to do and how.

:tiphat:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Pet, weren't you saying burple led were crap? and i do agree on that.

i'm not the only keeping in comparision pcl vs most of the other pannel, do you forget the growmau5 channel? that's the very first place i've heard that name.
he did a whole video keeping that pannel as reference, comparision and whatelse.
weren't me suggesting his channel.
in the italian section, there is ONE person i do think is working for spectra, and belive it or not, he know his stuff, and he did spread some very good suggestion, and no, it wasn't an advertise on what to buy.

there are a lot of grow report on icmag, grow done with cxa and even more with the cxb series, and i'm not talking of other forum, where you can find some other "nice" info too.
those grow are great, well documented and show what cree leds are capable off.
most friends here are using cree as well, and the people talk and talk alot.

the imho was related, in specific, to this

what uv and ir add to a grow pannel, and i mean what they add for real? insecticide? mould control? stretch controll? woulden't be better to just add a different cob with a different cri and/or K° temperature? with a 3500°k i didn't noticed a "big" stretch, the ladies are a very compact bush.

the color gammut show into cree spec is, overall, one of the best and better documented by far.
and since we are playing with light ...

@Diskokobaja: isn't so hard make this kind of pannel. there are a lot of info to read, a lot of thread tell you what to do and how.

Blurple: Yes. I was ignorant about new LED tech 5 years ago when I decided to start growing again. I never had good results with my 400 HPS and saw a full page ad in High Times. I researched on the net, but little info was available, so I spent $360 for a POS Blurple ufo.

I have mad respect for what GrowMau is doing. I recommend his YT channel to anyone looking to DIY. My comments are on his videos

It would be interesting side-by-side to compare a 250w CoB only to the Amare SE 250. Anybody want to send me a CoB only light? Edit: It occurred to me I will be receiving the SE 250 soon, so I can use it as CoB only vs the SE 220 full spectrum

I still have the Transcend Lighting D 200 (230w) but it is very heavy, designed for supplemental lighting in green houses. My plan was to do a side-by-side v the Amare, but I did not get 2 similar plants. The D200 is unique in that it is Remote Phosphor, using the most efficient 450 blue diodes exciting phosphor coated plates to create one full spectrum, similar in result to using CoB only. According to TL it will provide 90% intensity at 90K hours. Sigh, they have removed it from their web site. I asked but haven't heard back

Levitationofme

Black Dog LED expensive but excellent quality. Great customer service. Yea made in China, but to their specs like most of the rest. Much documentation on their spectrum that I am still too noob to understand.
They work for me. No comparison though.
In any Case if you are spending big bucks, do lot's of research to muddle the choices in indecipherable babble fest that is advertising for grow lights.

At the time of my purchase they were phasing into the next product and I got a great deal. I was at Denver cup last year. Checked out all the top brands of LED. Most everyone thought BD was the Best, but I doubt by much. All the top brands I saw worked phenomenally and its great technology.
Most of my friends growing legit ops in Colorado swear by them not at them lol

jikko77

I have mad respect for what GrowMau is doing. I recommend his YT channel to anyone looking to DIY. My comments are on his videos

me too ;) except for the comment on his channel; and not only him to be honest, Gaius, Rives, REALSTYLES, Supra and Dion himself have helped a lot spreading some knowledge on diy with led, just to say someone work i've translated in my own language.

It would be interesting side-by-side to compare a 250w CoB only to the Amare SE 250. Anybody want to send me a CoB only light?

may i backforward this to you :)? can i? send me the amare and i'll do a side by side comparision with 3x cree cob cxb3070 at 1400mA 3500°k, about 155,4 led Watt (no counting fan and various crap, just the led at full Amps), i'll do with clone and stuff from the same mother ;)

Koondense

Veteran
Nice proposal, jikko:)

I'd also like to see a side by side, Pet if youre interested i can make you a light but you gotta pay for it. No free lunch.

Dion

no no no you guys are both obviously bias

@pet send both lights to me so i can do a true unbiased side by side

:moon:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
no no no you guys are both obviously bias

@pet send both lights to me so i can do a true unbiased side by side

:moon:

Tell us why, after you continually bash Amare (without ever owning one), that you should be considered unbiased

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
its called sarcasm u donkey

The only one who finds you funny is you

Crapping in other people's threads is not cool, but that's who you are

Too bad, as you actually bring knowledge when you stay in your own lane

Latest posts

Latest posts