What's new

Where's purple haze or any legit sativas?

nerd4life

Hey fellow growers, I'm a young chick from ny area I remember when I was in middle school about 7 years ago that was the first time I met Mary Jane. I was told that the strain was purple haze,at the time purple haze around here was very popular. That's where my love for hazes and pure sativas began. I find it hard to find good haze these days.and what's this thing about purple haze being extinct is that true?

kamyo

Veteran
Not sure about being extinct, as I don't know what it was you had back in the day. Ace has a purple haze, which is OT haze bred toward the purple expressions. I believe Tom Hill's also tends to show coloring in some phenos from what I've seen. Ace also has purple haze/Thai as well. Will flower for 16 weeks or more, but worth it. Check the Ace forum. UHN has made that plant look as beautiful as possible.

Rinse

Veteran
Yeah ace's purple haze is what springs to mind, In Europe in the nineties and even now we get "purple haze" thats really dutch purple indica's, but I like it, especially the purple star variety.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Another vote for ACE's purple haze as well, and also for their exotic strains. Otherwise, Cannabiogen and many others, depending on what kind of tropical plant are you looking for...

7 Willows

I have to say though guys, the market really could use a solid 9-11 week purple haze with commercial appeal to boot...

S

sativagrower87

I have to say though guys, the market really could use a solid 9-11 week purple haze with commercial appeal to boot...
impossible.
ps Also there is very interesting Black Haze[Purple Haze x Colombian Gold x Colombian Black] from Breeders Choice. :)

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran

was gonna say...Haze 9-11 weeks......Umm no, Haze by definition will be 12-16 weeks of flowering if not more...No such thing as a Haze that finishes in 9-11 weeks...Keep dreaming,

Maybe try some sativa hybrids, like Jack Herrer or SSSDH or Trainwreck or something but no haze will finish in 9-11 weeks

peace
Chefboy

F

Fluffy Clouds

for potent purple haze i recommend to grow thaihazeskunk from Sam the Skunkman, its ultimate haze hybrid. 14 weeks of flowering, but its worth it..

thaihazeskunk
picture.php

i grew tom hill purple haze too, but it has mediocre potency

tom hill o haze
picture.php

7 Willows

Thanks for the input fellas. You are quite right on the Haze I guess. Perhaps Im looking simply for a purple commercial sativa.

Stilling dreaming then... Especially after seeing threads like yours UHN. Those flower times are killer.

bigherb

Veteran
Hey fellow growers, I'm a young chick from ny area I remember when I was in middle school about 7 years ago that was the first time I met Mary Jane. I was told that the strain was purple haze,at the time purple haze around here was very popular. That's where my love for hazes and pure sativas began. I find it hard to find good haze these days.and what's this thing about purple haze being extinct is that true?

All of the suggestions in this thread are on point an the best Haze Lines offered for sale .

The Purple haze from NYC im familiar with an it Damn sure wasn't no Santa Cruz Purple Haze from the 70's .Wheter she is extinct or not only a few know an i believe soo . BUt as for the NYC purple Haze i believe she survives but this influx of Deez an kush have kept her on the low

IMO if the NYC haze Flavors are somthing you appreciate an desire Then i have to suggest MNS Nevilles haze 1st . If Flavors an possible purple phenos Thunk from Sams CC seeds here at the Seedbay or the Seed Boutique .

Mns Afghan Haze Mango haze an SSH also hold the NYC haze flavors aswell as Haze/skunk From Sams CC

Tom Hill haze is known to produce Purple phenos but the flavor profile is not the same as NYC haze ( words from the man himself ) ,although some colombian phenos have been reported in the recent past

Again IMO an from reports/research ACE purple Haze is the closest to the Original Santa Cruz Purple haze

Soo you Really have a few choices do a little homework an see what best suits you

Best wishes

1luvbigherb

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Big herb said pretty much what I wuz goin to... Best luck for u to find what ya lookin for would be in ssh or mango haze.... But it will take some selection and a bunch of unwanted plants....
The haze is still out and the clone that u are lookin for is 10/11 weeker ... Not passed out by the circle and even harder to get after everyone got busted uptown and in the south Florida... But I know for a fact it is not dead.... Most of ny switched to sour after the bust cuz shit u loose a few thousand lights production ceases and demand for sour was there.... I know first hand the cut is still alive... So no worries herb or frank.... Wonder what happens in a few more yrs when them guys get home if they will pump it out like they were but it's here and still fire..... Got some nice haze last trip to NYC about 2wks back 207 Sherman...The 139 160 and 170s The autobon and lower blocks flooded with sour.... But damn just reread the op 7 yrs ago..... U got in at the very end of the haze scene .... And I doubt what u had was the purple haze the purple haze with the crazy red hairs was down on 139 broadway exclusively and last time I can remember seeing any of it was prob 03 someone shot up the barbershop and the spot closed around that time.....

bigherb

Veteran
This is from a cut that's been around for over 30 years, closer to 35 I believe.

View Image

Nice pic but it Looks similar to what they sell in Adam CS as purple haze

From the pic i doubt it Santa Cruz purple haze ,I think more of a Posi Purple haze which i believe was haze X purple skunk

From what i know no clones were saved from the 70's ,an that's from the creator

Below is a quote from Sams about 5 years ago

Mid to late 70's. About the time of the first Medal Halide lights being used indoors. But I know of no clones much older then 20 years, still alive today.

-SamS

Im curious to hear any more info you can share on this strain i Imagine you have atleast smoked it

1luvbigherb

Gert Lush

Veteran
What on earth is a "Purple Haze" supposed to be other than perhaps some second rate hybridised haze sold to completely ignorant people on the back of a Jimi Hendrix song that wasn't even about marijuana in the first place?

And for those who mentioned ACE's OT Haze: Overlooking for the time being the highly improbable scenario that OT Haze was selling in New York 7 years ago (mainly since I don't think it was even on the market then!), the "purple" pheno of that haze was one selected by Dubi of ACE seeds in Spain (ca, 2005 or so) Anyway, as it turned out, iirc, all the purple phenotypes turned out to be much weaker, and ACE were recommending the green pheno at the time.

Given that there was no mention ever of a "purple" Haze in the Early days of Haze (perhaps "purple" wasn't quite so fashionable then), I would conclude that anything trying to pass itself off as Purple Haze is pure and total marketing bullshit, aimed at people without much knowledge. Full stop.

If someone had really successfully hybridised a Haze with something purple, and had a result that was consistent and reliable, it would have been FAR more helpful to say what it was, e.g. Original Haze x Blueberry x Viet or whatever, instead of making up silly names.
At best I imagine any "purple haze" doing the rounds is simply some bluer pheno of something (which maybe even has some Haze in it), and it is highly unlikely that it would be reproducible or spread much.

To the OP: Sorry if this view disappoints you, but I think you'd be better off looking for good Hazes and Haze hybrids without fussing too much about colours, which mean little.

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
shit, all this time i thought hendrix was singing about purple micro-dots and that is what he meant by purple haze not pot!!

Gert Lush

Veteran
Nerd4life, have a look at the R.U.S.T. thread on this forum (pinned above) where you will find a ton of info about real sativas, some of it from people who really know their beans.

Apart from that, the real good sativas that you can grow depend a great deal on your setup.
A 1000W lamp is a kind of a minimum for productive work. Not that it cannot be done otherwise, it certainly can, with a bit of extra work, but the results aren't quite the same. Of course I am assuming you are not outdoor in the tropics, since you state NY as your locale.

kamyo

Veteran
I think it's pretty well accepted that anything sold on the street labeled as "purple haze" is far from that, and likely a purple sativa-dom plant. The chances of finding that same plant you smoked from some dealer several years ago are next to impossible, but with today's seeds, the only true hazes with coloration are exactly what we have already mentioned. I highly doubt that anyone was waiting 18 weeks for their commercial haze operation, but I suppose it's possible.

I was also under the impression that Hendrix was singing about acid. Unfortunately, it's another name game, and people will beat that to death to make a few bucks (this doesn't include Dubi & company however, as they also sell their green haze. They simply isolated the phenotypes for us and offered them for sale.)

Latest posts

Latest posts