What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where to Live

G

Say a guy had no strings,i.e. no wives or children, not much family, won some money, not millions.lol, and wanted to move. Choices are right across border in Mexico, right across border in Canada; Amsterdam; or Switzerland. Probably want to work part time, full time if its available. Not versed in any of the languages, though, will this be a big size prob, or little size prob. Any feedback greatly appreciated. :wave:

G

Canada for the lax laws and health insurance, Mexico lacks both and smells like shit.

2buds

Hell from what I'm reading, Ohio ain't sounding bad, if you want to stay. Sounds like they have laxed they're state laws quit a bit on cannabis but the feds always want to show their muscle from time to time so who knows.

G

id invest the 100k, wait till i hit 6mill, and buy my own country. ie: from the Canadian Government.

there are islands available for under a million also but not your own country, it would have to be in international waters to be your own country/laws

yeah, i'd prolly move to ohio too :p

cj

redbone

Ohio is OK but if you're looking for fairly lax laws and you must live in the Midwest Illinois' laws are a little better. I think the Ohio economy is a little slow so you might consider that if you want to work.

It's almost impossible to work if you move out of the country. You'd be surprised how difficult other countries make it for foreigners to have jobs. You have to bring something to the table that they don't have enough of. Canada is really death on it. The upside is most countries think Americans probably won't try to stay since we have the baddest shit here so if you overstay your visa they don't get in your ass right away. Some countries (like Germany) require a cash bond if you want to stay indefinately. The thinking is they want you to pay your own way and not burden their system.

Good luck, Ill be watching this thread closely...

G

Colombia, you can live here like a king for very little money and it is easy (and fun) to teach conversation english (you don't need to speak much spanish). The weather is spring like year round and the people are very friendly. The Mj is cheap (among other things) and beautiful women everywhere, this is the best place I have found to retire.
Peace

G

colombia sounds tempting.. nice landrace sativas, attractive women.. nice weather.. a little high in crime rate for me.. but heh

G

With no disrespect to you cannable (and I can say this with actual experience) Colombia has a much lower crimes per capita then most countries. The USA is # 8 while Colombia is # 53 out of 60 countries. http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_tot_cri_percap Colombia does however boast the highest murder rate per capita but you must take into account that there is a 50 year old civil war being fought here and most of the casualties are considered murder and all the narco traffic. Don’t believe the media believe me I live here and it’s nice.
Peace

mpro

Central america will have the friendliest people. Also would prabably accept a more leisure lifestyle, of course, lots of money buys leisure anywhere in the world. but little money can buy it there.

I'm swiss/american nationality, and will be moving back to SUI in the near (2-5y) depending on how quickly shit gets fucked up here. One thing to consider, switzerland is voting (again) to completely regulate MJ. But since that was one of your choices, I'm sure you are aware of said amendments. Of course, if it becomes legal, I think the GF and I will be moving in less than a year.

It's my destiny to be a legal pot farmer.

naga_sadu

Say a guy had no strings,i.e. no wives or children, not much family, won some money, not millions.lol, and wanted to move. Choices are right across border in Mexico, right across border in Canada; Amsterdam; or Switzerland. Probably want to work part time, full time if its available. Not versed in any of the languages, though, will this be a big size prob, or little size prob. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Mexico: Unless you really have a knack of doing business in the "3rd world"...I don't recommend this because you can lose everything you won and worse, end in debt. Job??? Forget it, unless you're looking 2 work @ an MNC.

Canada : Too close to Uncle Sam for comfort. Even if, BC is awesome the GOP cadres south of the border have a notorious tendency to constipate the living shit out of places. But I dunno, this is just my opinion.

Holland: An ideal choice provided you get a bloody visa. Amsterdam is IDEAL for doing small / med. scale business. You can really live it up once u do a small/ med. scale biz here. If you manage to get yourself a work/ biz visa w/ permanent residency, the you can safely tell yourself that the floodgates have opened. However, it IS WESTERN EUROPE and the costs are somewhat high so be sure to have a very clear idea of what the hell you're going to do once you get 'der.

Schweitzerland: Again...damn cost of living and...I be damned, that fucking visa. Cost of living is surely high over here. I hear this is one of the harder places to get a visa to (at least from out here). Unless you can show some fat bank statements, the visa possibilities are shut for you. So I never could visit...

Last edited:

ganjasun

I have been living away from America for the past 15 years and have lived throughout Africa, Europe and Asia - always insuring I am living in an area that has MJ readily available. So here is my imput on the world of ganja.

Holland is an obvious good choice - if you have unlimited cash resources. But as it has already been said, if you are an American getting a long term visa and resident permit is very hard (unless you have money). It is also a very expensive place to live (housing, food, entertainment, etc). I lived there for about a year before moving down to Switzerland and wish I would have never left.

Switzerland is beautiful but expensive and the people can drive you crazy. It is a bit easier to get a resident permit (then in Holland), but again you have to have money and must start a company to get everything sorted (costing roughly $20,000-$40,000). There are a few shops here and there that sell MJ, but they are often being shut down by the police and cannot be counted on. I got busted three times trying to move stash down from Holland (driving in a car) to Switzerland - once in Germany (only a fine) and twice on the swiss border (full strip search and very costly).

Africa is an amazing place and outside of Holland the easiest place to score. It is also cheap, entertaining and very easy to get long term visas and resident permits. I first lived in Zimbabwe back in 1994-95 (not advised anymore) and could score on nearly any corner. South Africa is more developed (but also more expensive) and again can get my stash very easy (just ask anyone standing on a corner/or Rasta’s in yeoville) and a great place to live - so much to see and do. In Kenya you have to be a bit more aware of your surroundings, and although it is still easy to score you need to watch out. Same with Nigeria - would not recommend. Namibia is also a great place with great people, lots of stash and an easy life. Malawi is a great place to smoke but not live.

Thailand is where I am currently living and although the current government has caused a major dry spell with finding stash, it is still available (especially in the beach/island areas) and a great place to settle down. In Laos (border country) it is plentiful and easy. Same with Cambodia.

I think my next stop will have to be South America

Hope this sheds a little bit of light on our world of ganja.

Neuronaut

Redone... Columbia sounds really nice. I always had the impression that it was high in crime too... just from watching movies and stuff as a kid. So are there places in columbia with not much poverty? What is the exchange rate like? How much for a decent 3 bedroom house close to a beach somewhere?

pico

Veteran
Ganjasun- I am always moving around and love being in other countries. I always have to come back to the states and work to make money again. May I ask how you are able to live in so many countries and afford to do so? It just seems like it would be hard to get a job anywhere else without the right papers.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
James-Bong said:

I have to agree with you there. Alaska would be a bad ass place to live. I told my wife that we could have 3 more kids if she agreed to move to Alaska. She agreed then recently backed out. I'm pissed off, bummed out and anything else that isn't happy.

They have some great benefits for living up there as well. The permanent fund is pretty cool. Last year I was told it paid around $1500 per person. It's like getting an extra tax return so I'm told. They set it up to establish some sort of back up plan for their residents in case their heavily oil reliant economy went to crap. I'd imagine it helps offset the high price of living up there as well.

Can't beat their laws either. They just had another anti pot law over turned a couple days ago. GO ACLU!!!

Best of luck in what you choose to do!

Take care all.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
naga_sadu said:
Mexico: Unless you really have a knack of doing business in the "3rd world"...I don't recommend this because you can lose everything you won and worse, end in debt. Job??? Forget it, unless you're looking 2 work @ an MNC.

Canada : Too close to Uncle Sam for comfort. Even if, BC is awesome the GOP cadres south of the border have a notorious tendency to constipate the living shit out of places. But I dunno, this is just my opinion.

Holland: An ideal choice provided you get a bloody visa. Amsterdam is IDEAL for doing small / med. scale business. You can really live it up once u do a small/ med. scale biz here. If you manage to get yourself a work/ biz visa w/ permanent residency, the you can safely tell yourself that the floodgates have opened. However, it IS WESTERN EUROPE and the costs are somewhat high so be sure to have a very clear idea of what the hell you're going to do once you get 'der.

Schweitzerland: Again...damn cost of living and...I be damned, that fucking visa. Cost of living is surely high over here. I hear this is one of the harder places to get a visa to (at least from out here). Unless you can show some fat bank statements, the visa possibilities are shut for you. So I never could visit...

Sounds like quite the life. I'm curious, how is it that you're able to move all over like that. Not being nosey, I just like to learn how people are able to be that independent.

ganjasun

pico said:
Ganjasun- I am always moving around and love being in other countries. I always have to come back to the states and work to make money again. May I ask how you are able to live in so many countries and afford to do so? It just seems like it would be hard to get a job anywhere else without the right papers.

That is the hardest part of living overseas. Expecially for an American as it is nearly impossible for us to work anywhere outside of the States.
I am a photographer and has allowed me to make some money nearly anywhere I go, although there have been many rough times along the way. When you run out of money overseas and do not have family back home to wire you money, it can become a real nightmare - which has been my case many times.

I have many friends that are also living overseas and typically they either have a small internet/ebay company which brings them in a bit of money each month, or they work as ESL teachers (typical for Asia).

guapo_pobre

with 50k u can apply for an investor visa status towards brasil. I supose you don´t fal in the "retirement program" right ? It´s not ganjaland,, but nice beaches openminded people it could get close no ?
I mean in a city under 2 milions habitants. Safety issues..