What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where to go?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Looking for information on where the best state for growers. Im seriously thinking about relocating.
Oklahoma is a good place due to the lax laws. However, starting anywhere can be very difficult. The reason is there are so many growers in all the states that it can be very hard to find a place to hang your hat. The best way to work your way into an outfit is to start as a bud trimmer and get to know everyone. After a few months of trimming, maybe you can find a place to work under someone else's gardens.

I know of a few people who sold their farms and moved to legal states only to be very disappointed because of no work. The markets are full and have plenty of weed growers. Also getting licenses in some states and following the state guidelines can be very daunting. Anyway, good luck friend, and I hope you find a good place to plant your feet. Keep us posted.

xtsho

If you're just looking to be able to grow at home legally then Oregon is a great state with lots of beautiful places and hundreds of miles of exceptional coastline on the Pacific ocean making a day trip for a walk along the beach just an hour or so away. So much diverse landscape. Mountains, desert, forest, coastline, there's always someplace else to go or something to see.

The cost of living can be rather high housing wise in and around the Portland Metropolitan area but if you go south or east the housing costs are much lower and Southern Oregon is a well know outdoor growing region so you could grow some nice big plants outdoors as well.

There are many legal states that offer different pro's and cons. Oregon's been one of the most cannabis friendly states for decades even before it was legalized so you'll find a robust and established cannabis culture here making it easy to find and hook up with others that grow as well.

Hardly anyone cares about cannabis here as it's accepted by a good majority of the population. It's part of the culture in a way. But the same can be said for the entire west coast including California and Washington. The only thing about Washington is they don't allow recreational growing but they have dispensaries everywhere.

Also, there is no cost to grow at home in Oregon other than the cost of the equipment and electricity. You don't have to obtain a license.

SolarLogos

For $149/year, you can get a medical license in CA that allows you to legally grow up to 99 plants at a time. I grew 18 cultivars in my back yard this last season and harvested 88 females. I'll get niew pics off my phone and posted soon. I live in a neighborhood and most local ordinances require the plants be below the top of the fence line, but my smallest plant was about 6-7' and the largest reached almost 16'. No one bothered me. They camouflaged well with the trees in the background.

1st pic was the beginning of July, part of the upper bed vegging.
Me.jpeg

Jungle.jpeg
Jungle2.jpg

If you like doing reproductions and breeding like I do, it's quite nice to be able to put out 100 plants to make selections. This coming season, I'll be repro'ing some Laos and putting out 100 seeds.

Edit: I should mention, consider the latitude when choosing where to move. I'm in N. Cali and the latitude is 38.5 and I still have a couple of pure landrace Sativa in the ground and they are doing just fine. Most Indica and hybrids are usually harvested by mid September to early October here. Anything later than that and they risk mold. Consider what you like to grow and whether they will finish on time. You can also use a greenhouse though.

Last edited:

Lexstar

If you're just looking to be able to grow at home legally then Oregon is a great state with lots of beautiful places and hundreds of miles of exceptional coastline on the Pacific ocean making a day trip for a walk along the beach just an hour or so away. So much diverse landscape. Mountains, desert, forest, coastline, there's always someplace else to go or something to see.

The cost of living can be rather high housing wise in and around the Portland Metropolitan area but if you go south or east the housing costs are much lower and Southern Oregon is a well know outdoor growing region so you could grow some nice big plants outdoors as well.

There are many legal states that offer different pro's and cons. Oregon's been one of the most cannabis friendly states for decades even before it was legalized so you'll find a robust and established cannabis culture here making it easy to find and hook up with others that grow as well.

Hardly anyone cares about cannabis here as it's accepted by a good majority of the population. It's part of the culture in a way. But the same can be said for the entire west coast including California and Washington. The only thing about Washington is they don't allow recreational growing but they have dispensaries everywhere.

Also, there is no cost to grow at home in Oregon other than the cost of the equipment and electricity. You don't have to obtain a license.
Thank you for the information. Sounds like a beautiful place to live.

Lexstar

For $149/year, you can get a medical license in CA that allows you to legally grow up to 99 plants at a time. I grew 18 cultivars in my back yard this last season and harvested 88 females. I'll get niew pics off my phone and posted soon. I live in a neighborhood and most local ordinances require the plants be below the top of the fence line, but my smallest plant was about 6-7' and the largest reached almost 16'. No one bothered me. They camouflaged well with the trees in the background.

View attachment 18942435
View attachment 18942436 View attachment 18942437

If you like doing reproductions and breeding like I do, it's quite nice to be able to put out 100 plants to make selections. This coming season, I'll be repro'ing some Laos and putting out 100 seeds.

Edit: I should mention, consider the latitude when choosing where to move. I'm in N. Cali and the latitude is 38.5 and I still have a couple of pure landrace Sativa in the ground and they are doing just fine. Most Indica and hybrids are usually harvested by mid September to early October here. Anything later than that and they risk mold. Consider what you like to grow and whether they will finish on time. You can also use a greenhouse though.
I lived in Mt. Shasta for several years long time ago. Loved it. I have been toying with the idea of moving back for a while. Maybe a little closer to Redding you think?

SolarLogos

Redding is nice; I'm about an hour drive from there. You'll be able to grow nice flower in this weather. Redding is far enough from the coast that mold is generally not a big issue, because most Indica and Indica hybrids finish in 80F weather this far inland, and before the wet weather moves in.

Most pure Sativa finish for me in late October to early November with still very sunny days around 75-80F. Even now, I have a couple of very equatorial Sativa that just finished and I'm taking them down in the morning. Right now, highs are near 60F and sunny, lows around 40, give or take a few degrees. They finish slow past the middle of December, get a day or two of rain, but no mold and they do finish.

Best of luck.
Peace

xtsho

View attachment 18942435
View attachment 18942436 View attachment 18942437

Those are nice looking plants. I wish I could grow strains like that outdoors but I'm just too far north for it to work. I've tried. I do it indoors but keeping them in control can be a challenge in a tent.

Lexstar

Good info, thank you.

Reactions: Gry

Lexstar

Redding is nice; I'm about an hour drive from there. You'll be able to grow nice flower in this weather. Redding is far enough from the coast that mold is generally not a big issue, because most Indica and Indica hybrids finish in 80F weather this far inland, and before the wet weather moves in.

Most pure Sativa finish for me in late October to early November with still very sunny days around 75-80F. Even now, I have a couple of very equatorial Sativa that just finished and I'm taking them down in the morning. Right now, highs are near 60F and sunny, lows around 40, give or take a few degrees. They finish slow past the middle of December, get a day or two of rain, but no mold and they do finish.

Best of luck.
Peace
Thank you for responding.

Reactions: Gry

Latest posts

Latest posts