What's new

Where is your turntable???

Seriously, how many of us still have them? Mines on a shelf in a closet. Kids have my amp and speakers. I've been MP3ing since I can remember. Maybe a dozen or so LPs in the closet and a couple of "45s" (not the gun, its in another closet) So as the old commercial goes, Its 1 am in the morning, do you know where your turntable is? (and who its been hanging out with.)

And now that I've thought about it, isn't turntable a strange name for something that rotates? And why "table"? Any one remember all 4 speeds............16, 33, 45 and (drum roll please.......) 78 RPM?

OK, I did just get off of work. Need to stuff a bud into the Dr. Grabow. Oops, the "lil woman" is way ahead of me, gosh I love my wife.

One more silly thought before my next "senior moment"
Why don't the words, comb, tomb, and bomb rhyme?

Meds are kickin in, I'll shut up now, memories aren't they Hank???

A

arrg

hooked up to the amp of course. I got an older one but I keep the needle fresh and the records clean.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Both of mine are hooked up and ready to go. Just hit the power switch and turn up the volume.
Serato of course. Still have a few thousand records scattered in various closets and garages tho

MARLO

Lowman

Mine is at the top of my audio rack...ready to go when I feel the urge. Still can't beat the sound of a nice clean record on a good turntable played on a good system. Sonic bliss.

Acotaco

I'm 23 i set up my dads record player in our little gaming room last year. Man am i glad i did that. Now every time my dad or i put in an album he has a new story about tripping or doing speed or crystal when he was younger to all these bands at the time haha

+Vibes

love the direction this thread is going!
my cdj's will be put to use tomorrow night! digital turntables .....:dance013:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My Marantz is hooked up to a old Sansui amp and runnig daily. The belt failed a year ago and, to my surprise, a quick web search found me a new one with-in minutes. Putting it on was a challenge..DD

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I'm down to a I really don't know what kind it is. I promise it's not worth bragging about. It's not hooked up, shame on me 4 or 5 hundred LP's too.

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I won't even pretend to know the name of my friends audio equipment, it's as high end as it gets. OK the amps are Eagle 2's as I recall, purely hand made and worth thousands each, they run @ 400 watts per amp and he powers up with two Eagle 2's each supporting a channel.

his turntable is $1500 & the diamond cartridge is $5,000, his vinyl collection takes up 16 feet of wall space floor to ceiling and would be worth an easy 100K, special japanese and euro pressings of major label LPs going for $150-200 etc.......

G

guest456mpy

LOL, you guys are killing me.

I've got about 6 feet of LP's I haven't touched in years. I had a Thorens TD 123 Mk II that I bought in the 60's and had it retrofitted with a SME titanium tone arm mid 70's. Eventually the wiring went stiff and got noisy. I gave it to a friend to repair and never saw it again.

That is a good question. Just where the heck is my turntable anyway!

That's all right, I'll just take another toke in it's memory.
inagaddadavida baby.....
cough....

Fingaz2

Bought a Linn lp12 dirt cheap when everyone went over to cd's. I am now rebuying all my favourite lp's on 180 gram vinyl, & dont it sound good. So pleased I never got sucked in by the digital age. I'm still hearing stuff on vinyl I never heard before, like the size of room it was recorded in, amps being turned on, feet tapping etc. I now got Nick Drake playing in my sitting room, & I'm a happy bunny. Oh & I support my local indie record shop too, so he's happy as well.
Fire up that steam powered record player, warm up some antique valves, light a fat one, sit back & smile. You digi types will never know how good it sounds.

Lowman

Bought a Linn lp12 dirt cheap when everyone went over to cd's. I am now rebuying all my favourite lp's on 180 gram vinyl, & dont it sound good. So pleased I never got sucked in by the digital age. I'm still hearing stuff on vinyl I never heard before, like the size of room it was recorded in, amps being turned on, feet tapping etc. I now got Nick Drake playing in my sitting room, & I'm a happy bunny. Oh & I support my local indie record shop too, so he's happy as well.
Fire up that steam powered record player, warm up some antique valves, light a fat one, sit back & smile. You digi types will never know how good it sounds.

+1000

My Father first went out and bought us a brand new solid maple wood turn table with 2 side speakers built right into the system with the radio knobs to the left side and the turn table and diamond needle and record adaptor to play 33 small size records at the bottom right were their was a hole it slide in.

It was a floor model long as hell with a top sliding door and the model back in the 60's was a magnavox and Played 33, 45, and 78 speed records.

That beast looked like a long freezer but solid maple wood and it was on rollers to make it easier to move in the house and back then we bought it through the sears catalog and went to the store to see the display models.

ya back in the 60's were great listening to elvis and nate king cole at the age of 12.

smokefrogg

Veteran
mine is hooked up to my soundcard, when i sample stuff for use in tracks i prefer getting the samples from vinyl, also nice for archiving purposes

I have a nice dual turntable, with otoform cartridge and a few hundred lps.

I love my lp's. I've only converted maybe 10% to mp3