What's new

Where do you source your bulk organic soil amendments ?

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Ive just recently tried going the organic route, and was shopping for my amendments. I don't want to buy online and pay for shipping, I want to buy it local and buy in bulk. If your getting natural raw ingredients and mixing your soil yourself and recycling it, it should be cheaper then bottled nutes. Thats not going to happen buying little 1 kg bags for $20 every couple of grows for 10 different things.

Im in canada, these are CAD $ not sure if I should post this in the Canadian forum but I would like to hear what everybody anywhere does!

I can get at: Agri-Growth International Inc.

Kelp meal 25 LBS Pail
Diatomaceous Earth

Another store can order all this from Gaia Green, I don't find it that cheap. I can get bone meal and blood meal for the same price but buy 1 kg instead of 20kg so where is the bulk savings! And most garden centres don't carry there stock, but can order it in, but same availability and price as this store is getting pretty much. And why would stuff just not be available. I called Gaia Green and am waiting for a call back to see what the deal is.

Greensand - not available (???????)
Glacial Rock Dust - 22.68 kg $32.99
Alfalfa Meal - 20 kg $59.99 (20KG of powdered Hay for $60 ?? A hay 40 kg hay bail costs $3 from what I remember.
Blood Meal - 20 kg $169.00 (1.3KG $11 at Rona)
Bone Meal - 20 kg $99.00 (3.5KG $20 Rona)
Kelp Meal - 10 kg $99.00
Bat Guano - not available (?????)

Azomite Micronized Soil Enhancer - 4.4 lbs $24.99

The Agriculture Farming Feed centres seem to have just 1-2 items on the list usually, no alfalfa meal but pellets. I would settle for those at the right price and then soak them in water and mix in the soil or compost, or feed them to my guineapigs.

Any Input is appreciated. This is my complete shopping list below.

Greensand
Glacial rock dust
Alfalfa meal
Blood meal
Bone meal
Kelp meal
Bat guano N
Bat guano P
Perlite
Mycorrhizae
Azomite
Diatomaceous Earth

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Paulie:
Are you in a big city, or further out near the small towns?

I don't know about in Canada, but down here, almost every small town has a "Farmers Co-Op" or a "Feed and Seed" type of store...

You won't be able to get all the things on your list,
but you will definitely find Alfalfa meal, blood meal, bone meal, perlite and diatomaceous earth in large bags (probably 50 lbs.)
for lower cost then buying a small bag at a nursery or Home Depot type store...

Walk around and look in their warehouse.
There are LOTS of animal feeds that have the same ingredients that you would want for an organic garden,
and it's a WHOLE lot cheaper...

That's what I do...

Gmack

Ag supply stores are your first stop. Privaley owed independently run garden centers should be your second. If they don't have what you want or to small of size ask the owners what they can order and prices. Should be able to find most of what your looking for.

Popice

look into pumice instead of perlite. it's a porous rock, similar look to perlite, but isnt made like glass popcorn which turns to dust and floats in soil. definitely keep the Glacial Rock dust, but look into replacing the azomite. and then after good minerals and aeration I source most of my bulk organic soil amendments from the the grocery store, as compost. but in the meantime someone else would probably be better talking about the blood and bone meal or guanos.

redlaser

Veteran
I would echo what Bud said about looking local. I have a few good places around me but wanted Acadian kelp and Ahisma neem and karanja meal this year so I had to look elsewhere.
Lots of places claimed a kelp shortage this year, justifying their high kelp prices. Ended up getting it shipped for 55$ U.S. for 50 lbs. Alfalfa was 35$ for 40lbs, neem 55 for 44, glacial rock 35 for 50.
Lots of places will ship a pallet for 100-120$, in this case I put 2,900lbs on that pallet for 100$.
I got azomite for 35$ for 50 lbs but only used it at half strength due to concerns about the aluminum levels. I've heard that it's unavailable to plants but not sure about that.
Got the above from Beeritesales in Washington,but a lot of what they ship comes from Pennsylvania I think.

KIS

As someone who sells organic amendments for a living and runs a garden store, those prices you listed are crazy high, even with the exchange rate. I would try and negotiate with them or see if there's any local garden centers willing to order it in. You might try your local feed store as well.

indican3

I live in Canada also, I get most of my stuff from garden centers and hydroponic stores. Hydroponic stores, like Homegrown Hydroponics, carry all those amendments and can often order them in larger quantities than what their store carries also. Price of Bat Guano went up recently and I got hosed, went from 99$ to 129$ for a 10kg tub this year at my local store.

Feed stores like other said would probably have even better rates for bulk amendments, but try Hydroponic stores for amendments or shop around, Home Hardware once had the same Bone meal brand 5$ cheaper than another local hardware store. My only concern with the farm feed stores would be if the quality of the amendments is the same, but I'm sure there are some good organic feed amendment sources out there.

troutman

Seed Whore
Depending where you live in Canada. There's bogs out there filled with nice live
green sphagnum moss that could be used to fill containers or planting holes.

KIS

Depending where you live in Canada. There's bogs out there filled with nice live

Please don't go pulling material out of peat bogs. There's a reason the industry is highly regulated...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I get my seaweed from the ocean along with crust acean shells....yeehaw.......on a bad day fishing I still get seaweed.....crab and lobster traps gimme the shells after eating them delicious mofos..dandelions are everywhere along with other plants..dandelions hAve a great nutrient profile to complement other inputs.....

troutman

Seed Whore
Please don't go pulling material out of peat bogs. There's a reason the industry is highly regulated...

A single person picking peat moss "by hand" isn't going to do environmental damage.

Like commercialized machine digging up bogs.

KIS

A single person picking peat moss "by hand" isn't going to do environmental damage.

Like commercialized machine digging up bogs.

Sure, just like growers going into forest to harvest forest duff and soil doesn't have an impact either. Again, just my opinion, I don't think it's good from an ecological perspective, but you'll do what you do.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Green sphagnum is not good for a mix > only hanging floral displays. You will set yourself up for nutrient lock out.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive just recently tried going the organic route, and was shopping for my amendments. I don't want to buy online and pay for shipping, I want to buy it local and buy in bulk. If your getting natural raw ingredients and mixing your soil yourself and recycling it, it should be cheaper then bottled nutes. Thats not going to happen buying little 1 kg bags for $20 every couple of grows for 10 different things.

Im in canada, these are CAD $ not sure if I should post this in the Canadian forum but I would like to hear what everybody anywhere does!

I can get at: Agri-Growth International Inc.

Kelp meal 25 LBS Pail
Diatomaceous Earth

Another store can order all this from Gaia Green, I don't find it that cheap. I can get bone meal and blood meal for the same price but buy 1 kg instead of 20kg so where is the bulk savings! And most garden centres don't carry there stock, but can order it in, but same availability and price as this store is getting pretty much. And why would stuff just not be available. I called Gaia Green and am waiting for a call back to see what the deal is.

Greensand - not available (???????)
Glacial Rock Dust - 22.68 kg $32.99
Alfalfa Meal - 20 kg $59.99 (20KG of powdered Hay for $60 ?? A hay 40 kg hay bail costs $3 from what I remember.
Blood Meal - 20 kg $169.00 (1.3KG $11 at Rona)
Bone Meal - 20 kg $99.00 (3.5KG $20 Rona)
Kelp Meal - 10 kg $99.00
Bat Guano - not available (?????)

Azomite Micronized Soil Enhancer - 4.4 lbs $24.99

The Agriculture Farming Feed centres seem to have just 1-2 items on the list usually, no alfalfa meal but pellets. I would settle for those at the right price and then soak them in water and mix in the soil or compost, or feed them to my guineapigs.

Any Input is appreciated. This is my complete shopping list below.

Greensand
Glacial rock dust
Alfalfa meal
Blood meal
Bone meal
Kelp meal
Bat guano N
Bat guano P
Perlite
Mycorrhizae
Azomite
Diatomaceous Earth

I already answered this question the other day in your other thread.
Livestock supply stores;

50 lb alfalfa meal - $12
50 lb kelp meal - $65 to $85
pumice - masonary or landscape supply - so cheap its almost free
etc. etc.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
look into pumice instead of perlite. it's a porous rock, similar look to perlite, but isnt made like glass popcorn which turns to dust and floats in soil. definitely keep the Glacial Rock dust, but look into replacing the azomite. and then after good minerals and aeration I source most of my bulk organic soil amendments from the the grocery store, as compost. but in the meantime someone else would probably be better talking about the blood and bone meal or guanos.

Yes I like the sounds of pumice. I hate that perlite floats to the top, and just crumbles so easily. I don't need more air on the surface mr. perlite! Landscaping centres for that seems like the best place

I would echo what Bud said about looking local. I have a few good places around me but wanted Acadian kelp and Ahisma neem and karanja meal this year so I had to look elsewhere.
Lots of places claimed a kelp shortage this year, justifying their high kelp prices. Ended up getting it shipped for 55$ U.S. for 50 lbs. Alfalfa was 35$ for 40lbs, neem 55 for 44, glacial rock 35 for 50.
Lots of places will ship a pallet for 100-120$, in this case I put 2,900lbs on that pallet for 100$.
I got azomite for 35$ for 50 lbs but only used it at half strength due to concerns about the aluminum levels. I've heard that it's unavailable to plants but not sure about that.
Got the above from Beeritesales in Washington,but a lot of what they ship comes from Pennsylvania I think.

So much easier to get stuff in the US with a population 10X the size of canada stretched over the same landmass!

As someone who sells organic amendments for a living and runs a garden store, those prices you listed are crazy high, even with the exchange rate. I would try and negotiate with them or see if there's any local garden centers willing to order it in. You might try your local feed store as well.

Agreed, feed stores seem much better

I live in Canada also, I get most of my stuff from garden centers and hydroponic stores. Hydroponic stores, like Homegrown Hydroponics, carry all those amendments and can often order them in larger quantities than what their store carries also. Price of Bat Guano went up recently and I got hosed, went from 99$ to 129$ for a 10kg tub this year at my local store.

Feed stores like other said would probably have even better rates for bulk amendments, but try Hydroponic stores for amendments or shop around, Home Hardware once had the same Bone meal brand 5$ cheaper than another local hardware store. My only concern with the farm feed stores would be if the quality of the amendments is the same, but I'm sure there are some good organic feed amendment sources out there.

good old home hardware

Don't worry , I already have 4 Bales of pro mix that I will be re using from my soil less grows. Thats how this whole thing started. I wasn't about to be throwing that pro mix out after 1 run!

I get my seaweed from the ocean along with crust acean shells....yeehaw.......on a bad day fishing I still get seaweed.....crab and lobster traps gimme the shells after eating them delicious mofos..dandelions are everywhere along with other plants..dandelions hAve a great nutrient profile to complement other inputs.....
MaybeI= Il feed my guineapigs dandelions! Im alberta. No coast here

I already answered this question the other day in your other thread.
Livestock supply stores;

50 lb alfalfa meal - $12
50 lb kelp meal - $65 to $85
pumice - masonary or landscape supply - so cheap its almost free
etc. etc.

thanks for posting prices. will let everyone know what I end up getting them for here
East, west or middle Canada?

Alberta. Is that middle ? LOL

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I get lots of stuff at Lowes and Canadian Tire. :tiphat:

Im surprised, they don't have anything here ever, other than maybe a small bag of perlite. 10$ for 9L, or bone and blood meal.

Paulie:
Are you in a big city, or further out near the small towns?

I don't know about in Canada, but down here, almost every small town has a "Farmers Co-Op" or a "Feed and Seed" type of store...

You won't be able to get all the things on your list,
but you will definitely find Alfalfa meal, blood meal, bone meal, perlite and diatomaceous earth in large bags (probably 50 lbs.)
for lower cost then buying a small bag at a nursery or Home Depot type store...

Walk around and look in their warehouse.
There are LOTS of animal feeds that have the same ingredients that you would want for an organic garden,
and it's a WHOLE lot cheaper...

That's what I do...

I like your methods, exactly what Im trying to do too. What would a livestock feed place sell blood and bone meal for though ? My feed store doesn't have either of them, but they do have diatomaceous earth and Alfalfa meal

Ag supply stores are your first stop. Privaley owed independently run garden centers should be your second. If they don't have what you want or to small of size ask the owners what they can order and prices. Should be able to find most of what your looking for.

thanks gmack. And everyone else as well. Nice to see what everyone else!

B

Bongi

I sourced 25kg of alfalfa pellets for 27€ and 4kg kelp meal for 17.8€ at local horse supplies store.

B

Bongi

I mixed alfalfa pellets to soil as they comes in bag. I did not soak them in water. I have seen them expanding when I sprinkled them on top of moist soil. So I think there is no need to soak them before hand.