What's new

when to water?

All about lift the pot method or in my case tilt the tub.

To take the question a bit deeper - Ive been wondering if anyone has seen a benefit to watering at (wake up / lights on) OR (night time / lights out) ?

NUG-JUG

1 vote for lift the pot here! Also use the finger method. It's likely that if the pot's light, it's also dry a couple inches down.Well everything is relative. A five gallon bucket\pot will be very heavy after a good watering. 4-5 days later depending on the variables that Habeeb listed, it will be much lighter...lift the pot after you water and you'll realize it's night and day difference. I can feel the extra water weight in a four inch pot. When that heaviness is near gone, I water.

prophecy

Yeah big plants in small pot need water often! But small plant in big pot need water less often. Its ok to water 100ml each day?

FlaDankster

Veteran
Yeah big plants in small pot need water often! But small plant in big pot need water less often. Its ok to water 100ml each day?

Can't say bro......

I prefer things to have a wet-dry cycle.....also helps with the "lift the pot method" which does not get any easier to be able to tell if it's time to water.

How big of a container and how small a plant you talkin???

From my understanding big pots an smaller plants can be difficult to keep the plants watering needs under control.

Wish i had a better answer for ya dood

FD

enter sandman

cannabis grown in soil does its best on a dry/wet schedule. Never keep your soil wet all the time. I judge by sticking my finger an inch down & if it's mostly dry, then I'll water.

prophecy

cannabis grown in soil does its best on a dry/wet schedule. Never keep your soil wet all the time. I judge by sticking my finger an inch down & if it's mostly dry, then I'll water.

I know I do this me too I was just wondering! 1 inch is not enough on big pot. 1 inch is dry but the 9 inchs under it are wet...! I do the lift test...

T

treefrog

Of course, if you're scroggin', lifting the pot isn't an option, lol.

When you're learning with the lifting technique, pay close attention to the plant/s. They will tell you when they need water. They don't go from reaching out to the light to total droop. There is a definite period of in-between, where they slowly start to droop. I water at the very first sign of droop. It is more relaxed than droopy though.

KONY

Veteran
you need to water when the pots feel light... pick them up. For a good starting point fill an extra pot with plain medium that you use and see how heavy it feels completely dry. This is when u water.

T

treefrog

Also, after a transplant, I always let them get pretty droopy before the first watering in a new pot. In the end they are better off for it, because good root growth was the only option. Watering too soon after a transplant can stunt growth.

S

staff11

I think people run into problems by letting the soil mix get to dry. You should never, ever let them get to the point where the soil shrinks from the sides of the pots. This is a big time problem with peat based mixes, and with those same peat mixes they sometimes need to be watered from the bottom up. In other words use a run off platter or tray and pour your water directly into the tray so the peat can absorb it like a sponge. If the soil mix gets to dry you are better of watering in this matter from my experience. Also watering slowly like a a couple of cups at a time slowly will until it fully absorbs will help the peat absorb the water.

I think people run into problems by letting the soil mix get to dry. You should never, ever let them get to the point where the soil shrinks from the sides of the pots. This is a big time problem with peat based mixes, and with those same peat mixes they sometimes need to be watered from the bottom up. In other words use a run off platter or tray and pour your water directly into the tray so the peat can absorb it like a sponge. If the soil mix gets to dry you are better of watering in this matter from my experience. Also watering slowly like a a couple of cups at a time slowly will until it fully absorbs will help the peat absorb the water.

that how i handle it too