What's new

When to chop?

SAMSON06

i got 4 outdoor ladies..I live in the northeast and my average frost date is about october 1st which is 2 weeks away...Temps are scheduled to get down into the mid-low 40s this week..I dont want to lose everything due to frost...Also dont want to chop plants that arent ready and wont get me high...they are California Dream and Mazar and have 8-9 week flowering times..They look good and healthy but could use more weight..When would be a safe time to check them? how do i tell or figure it out? thanks!

nomaad

Veteran
get a handheld microscope (20$) and check the color of the trichomes. Once they are almost all cloudy and some have begun to amber, you CAN harvest. pretty sure there are some in-depth threads on the subject.

L

LolaGal

you can get the microscope at Radio Shack!

cloudy = up buzz
amber = couchlock buzz

Check hairs to see if they have turned brownish or are ripened. White pistils should turn brownish and look dried up.

The last couple weeks can put on lots of weight.

Remember if frost comes on your plants one nite, if you get out there before the sun comes up you can still save it by washing off the frost with water before the sun hits it.

Maybe you should rig up a frost alarm to wake you up at nite.

or cut a little now and save a little to cut later to make sure you have some.

SAMSON06

our problem is that its WAAAY easier to make it a one shot deal since were going to have to transport all the bud from the grow site to the dry site by vehicle...I just checked the weather and the coldest itll get this week is around 48F..and if im not to burnt out, it has to get to 32F to get frost? right? Maybe?.Most pistils are white a few and i mean a few are amber..I'm going to gamble and wait another week and check status again..my only worry now is mold and bud rot..Foggy misty mornings then intense sun is not the best right now

L

LolaGal

bud rot is bad, keep checkin I lost 1/2 my buds in one week this year!

White hairs, or pistils are not the same as checking the color of the resin or trichomes.

The resin is what you need the microscope from Radioshack for. cloudy/amber refers to the color of the resin heads or trichomes.

nomaad

Veteran
our problem is that its WAAAY easier to make it a one shot deal

its "easy" to grow mediocre herb. if you want your shit to be right, you'll have to put in the greater effort and harvest them all at their prime. If you don't equate harvest with the most stressful time of the year, you're probably doing it wrong.

try comb

its "easy" to grow mediocre herb. if you want your shit to be right, you'll have to put in the greater effort and harvest them all at their prime. If you don't equate harvest with the most stressful time of the year, you're probably doing it wrong.

nomaad speaks the truth........

in the end its all upto how much u care and want to put forth for that much better herb.........:dueling:

Kushed

Remember if frost comes on your plants one nite, if you get out there before the sun comes up you can still save it by washing off the frost with water before the sun hits it.

Maybe you should rig up a frost alarm to wake you up at nite.

If i knew a frost was coming, could I cover my plants with black garbage bags at or a little before sundown and uncover them at sunup? Thanks

slider420

Preach nomaad " Don't pick it till its ready" u don't want to spend all of the time & effort for a "SWAG" buzz....Peace

hey this is a good opportunity to ask. here are some photos of my plants. they are pretty small since i got a late start this year and lost about a month and a half of good veg time. i am unable to go to my spot often. maybe once every week or two and i was wondering if you guys could help me guess when these will be good to chop. there are two strains: church and lemon skunk. the church is farther along than the lemon skunk and i have already begun to flush the last time i was there (when i snapped the photos).

Lemon Skunk:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=9086&pictureid=167828

LS on left, Church on right
http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=9086&pictureid=167829

Church
http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=9086&pictureid=167830

let me know what you guys think. thanks a bunch

nomaad

Veteran
If i knew a frost was coming, could I cover my plants with black garbage bags at or a little before sundown and uncover them at sunup? Thanks

I think you'd wind up with mold problems... serious ones. Airflow is your friend. There is a product made for early and late tomato plantings... they are these cages made of clear material with a space inside to fill with warm water. if you have small plants, you might be able to deploy something like this.

aren't their some strains that will survive a little bit of frost? what about radiant heating (copper tubing flooded with hot water) inside the planters? Could the foliage survive (assuming no crystalization of water on them) if the roots are kept warm?

L

LolaGal

Kush, I wouldn't do the black garbage bag thing. Overnite the humidity in the bags will increase, and mold/rot yer buds.

If I HAD TO cover my plants at nite, I would use a cotton sheet. But I don't think I would want to do this.

You could build a small fire near the plot and keep frost off easier that way, or use a propane outdoor heater.

I'd just pick it if the weatherman said it was gonna frost and it was pretty close to be done.

I am paranoid about bud rot.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
frost doesnt mean they will die or rot. some strains can survive a few frosts, although after a few they do not look as good.

Doobydan

i've herd people harvesting in the winter outside i don't know this to be true but like the commercial browsing the net so much makes everything run together.

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'm up in the north east too. i let my plants sit out in a couple of frost. if i hear the words hard frost though.....i get the remaining plants. hard frost will freeze the thc filled trichomes and they will fall off. 40's won't be a problem. it's when temps are dropping into anything with a 3 at the beginning. then it's time to start thinking about cutting them down.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
he said SOME strains.

superskunk took several light frosts, it did not die and it could have took a few more. its quite indica and a resiliant strain anyway.
im pretty sure i chopped at the start of november in the uk.

my advice is to let your plant keep going, but visit it a day after the frost to see how well it took it.

what strain do you have and is it indica or sativa ? someone else here might have seen how frost affects it.