What's new

When should i go 12/12? 🙏🙏

Jwhat201

My girls today. First time growing in like 7 years. Still learning so much
:slight_smile:
. Anyway they’re 4 days into their 5th week. I’m a chronic so I’m worried about vegging for too long, lol. But also worried about how much shorter two of them are haha worried about flowering too early and maybe losing a lot of yield, idk.

LST might have helped a bit , but yea those 2 are still too short for my liking, haha. One has been battling a sickness but yea the other one has always been a cutie she’s just short lol.
The shorter ones gotta be indica I guess and the other two something else haha. Great though I love a variety.

Opinions? Suggestions? Think they might catch up by the time they’re 6 weeks old? If not should I flower Anyway? Or?

Note also that I’m using them cheap Amazon LEDs that everybody criticizes but I’ve never criticized lol, so I’m like if I let the bigger ones get too tall that might be bad too if the lights can’t penetrate far enough.

Thx so much I’m feeling a bit lost here on what to do. Could be worrying too much that happens.

Pics

IMG_165601261728F.jpg

IMG_165601285552F.jpg

Last edited:

revegeta666

Hi! If you want them to fill up the grow tent they are still a long ways away to being ready in my opinion. How many weeks of veg they got left depends on the footprint of your light really.

If you are worried about your light's penetration in flower, then keep bending them down like you're doing and that way they'll stay squat and they will fill up the horizontal space quicker as well.

As for the smaller ones catching up to the big ones, it depends on the genetics. Some plant dislike being topped and are very slow to create new tops.

Jwhat201

Hey Jwhat, welcome to the growers club :)
Plants look nice, what varieties are they?
In a way you could flip them next weekend. Keep them open and consider they could stretch a lot, especially the two big ones.

All the best
Ty :) ! Sorry I'm unsure on the strains they're bag seed and I lost track after a while lol. Some may be quite old haha, so I kinda wish I knew.

Jwhat201

The bigger and the longer the veg., the more the buds will frost in the end with a bigger yield. If those plants were mine I would let them bush up more before flipping. It would be nice not to see the floor because of the bushy leaf canopy. 😎
Ty :) So you would keep making them all bushier? Even the shorter ones? lol. And, I read or heard somewhere that they also double or triple in bushiness during flower? is there truth to that? should I keep that in mind too or should I not worry about the stretch that way so much?

Jwhat201

Thanks everybody :). Can I maybe ask one more thing in here idk if that's allowed or rude lol. see the biggest one. do I have time yet before I need to worry about supporting her or anything? I hear in soilless they're weaker or something? ever since I heard that I been watching her and being all anxious about her falling over or losing a cola or something lol . Her leaves are moving most of the time, so the fans have been getting her good. worrying too soon Or? Also should i leave her clips on for support or is that bad. Hopefully this doesn't drown out my original question. This is just a side thing I've been worried about that I thought I could maybe squeeze in right quick. But of course it's not said quickly cause I ramble on lol.

Last edited:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
To be honest there is no set time for when to go to 12/12 it all depends on what you want out of your plants. Some people are known to go right to 12/12 as soon as a seedling sprouts and gets it's first set of true leaves or as soon as a clone takes roots. Keeping in mind there is a period in the first 2-3 weeks of flower known as the stretch phase where a plant can double even triple it's height. Of course starting that early no matter how much it stretches it will be significantly smaller then if you give it a good period of veg time. Usually people that go straight to 12/12 are people working with compact grow spaces and so they really don't want the plant to get too big. Obviously if you can start that soon you can start at any time during the veg period but typically people wanting good yields give their plants a full 8 weeks of veg. This gives the plant time t get some really good size and for the stalk to thicken up and it usually gives enough time for pre-flowers to show so that you can make sure none of the plants you put into flower are males (unless you're wanting to make seeds.

The plant on the left in the bottom pic (or right in the top pic) does look to be Indica judging by how fat the leaves are and that's probably why that one is short. The other three look to be some sort of hybrids so the other short one might be a hybrid with more Indica genetics in the mix then the other two bigger plants. Then again maybe the light just isn't as strong in that corner of the grow space. They all look reasonably healthy and like they're getting the nutrients they need so the most likely cause of the size differences likely comes down to genetics. If that's the case the two shorter ones might never catch up to the bigger ones all though if you keep training the bigger ones you should be able to get them close. If it were me I would give them at least another month of veg time but that's because the space I usually work with has 7 feet of vertical space. Again though you can control the height with training and if you give them another month you should have some decent sized plants to take into flower. as for the strength and to avoid them from getting top heavy once they have buds you can always put a 4' bamboo gardening stake in there right next to the stalk and then tie the stalk to the stake, You can also use a 1/4th inch dowel rod that's around 4 to 5 feet tall and should be available at your local hardware store. Now if you do give them another month and say they get to be 4 feet tall then when you put them into flower the stretch phase may not cause them to double or triple in height but they will probably get another 2-3 feet tall during the stretch phase. So keep that in mind compared to the space you have to work with when deciding when to switch to flower.

As far as asking multiple questions there are no rules limiting you to just one question per thread but keep in mind most people will respond to your thread based on the question you ask in the title. If they see that a bunch of people have answered and already said what they were going to say, they might just read the first few replies and then move on thinking they have nothing new to offer. So they might not ever see any additional questions you ask. So it's probably better to limit yourself to one question per thread, although most people who bothered to answer will continue to follow the thread for a while and they will likely answer any new questions if they know the answer. Anyway good luck and good yields.

Last edited:

Ca++

If they all looked like the biggest one, you would be seriously thinking about it. Imagine how much space each one has to fill. Then keep in mind they will easy double in size after 12/12. If all 4 were big as the big one, then they would stretch into each other. No gaps. They would fill out sideways with your continued guidance. With the main leads set about 30 degrees from horizontal, as you have done, the shape should be good. If we let them leads climb faster, they will dominate and give some big heads. You need to hold them down a bit, in order for the side branching to get some height to it. If you hold the main leads down too much, the side branching will dominate. You always want to keep the end of that lead as the dominant tip, with the side branching not too far behind. This shape is nice. Like a screen of green. Nothing getting so big you worry about rot, or getting left behind and chucked. A single horizontal net, or better a couple of them, makes that training approach easy, and supports a weighty plant laid out on it.

Jwhat201

Thanks everybody. Taking it day by day here they are today, thinking about maybe moving them around soon lol. switch the spots of one side . maybe it'll make a difference? them front two may grow into eachother soon. any thoughts? 👌🏼👌🏼?

Attachments

• IMG_165705639134F.jpg
    IMG_165705639134F.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_165705651753F.jpg
    IMG_165705651753F.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 45

goingrey

Thanks everybody. Taking it day by day here they are today, thinking about maybe moving them around soon lol. switch the spots of one side . maybe it'll make a difference? them front two may grow into eachother soon. any thoughts? 👌🏼👌🏼?
Yeah switch places with one in the front and one in the back.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
My girls today. First time growing in like 7 years. Still learning so much
:slight_smile:
. Anyway they’re 4 days into their 5th week. I’m a chronic so I’m worried about vegging for too long, lol. But also worried about how much shorter two of them are haha worried about flowering too early and maybe losing a lot of yield, idk.

LST might have helped a bit , but yea those 2 are still too short for my liking, haha. One has been battling a sickness but yea the other one has always been a cutie she’s just short lol.
The shorter ones gotta be indica I guess and the other two something else haha. Great though I love a variety.

Opinions? Suggestions? Think they might catch up by the time they’re 6 weeks old? If not should I flower Anyway? Or?

Note also that I’m using them cheap Amazon LEDs that everybody criticizes but I’ve never criticized lol, so I’m like if I let the bigger ones get too tall that might be bad too if the lights can’t penetrate far enough.

Thx so much I’m feeling a bit lost here on what to do. Could be worrying too much that happens.

Pics

View attachment 18726466
View attachment 18726468
I veg 6-8 weeks. I grow different strains at the same time as well. The ones that lag behind, I simply raise them an a pedestal.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
The bottom line here is that the runts will remain runts. Regardless when you flip unless they receive more light, among other things. The other girls will dble in size (roughly) so will the runts. Their growth will never be equal to the ones that are ready. One knows early on if "pedestals" are needed. It can be caught early on if one is on top of things. Regardless, it is all part of growing multiple strains. What are the mfr specs on those strains etc... When I do my runs, I always try to match the strains as close to possible to each other. This includes height (read stretch), and length of flowering. e.g don't place girls with a 12 week finish alongside girls with let's say a 9 week finish. It is what it is. A date on the calendar, is simply a date.

As a medical grower, I grow what I need, better yet, what I will need. Normally there is more often the odd Indica in the mix (because I req'd X nighttime strain). Otherwise the Sats/Hybs are always closely matched. On occasion you will get a runt from the same beans and on occasion said runt's potency is sometimes higher/better. e.g on one ACDC run, the runt produced 61g while the other a mere 48g. Not only the overall weight was greater, it had a different taste and potency. To differentiate between the 2 later on, the runt is labelled ACDC+, which is simply a recognition marker for me, to differentiate between the 2. They aren't miles apart here, but there is a delta. Overall they sort of behave in the same manner, as accustomed to. This most often happens with reg seeds, only rarely IME with feminized beans. That is also why many prefer reg seeds, for "the" ""pheno hunt"".

Ca++

It's certainly half full. I might be tempted to stick the big one's in opposite corners and flower them. You may even find you fill the tent. It will be valuable knowledge you gain, watching the stretch.
Waiting is just stealing time from your next crop.

It would be nice to see them in position before really calling it.

negative37dBA

Veteran
The bigger and the longer the veg., the more the buds will frost in the end with a bigger yield. If those plants were mine I would let them bush up more before flipping. It would be nice not to see the floor because of the bushy leaf canopy. 😎
No way does letting them veg longer equal more frost...that is just not right. It is all in the genetics man. Size has ZERO effect on frost.
Peace, negative.

Latest posts

Latest posts