What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

when is the smoking ban hiting holland

mr.haze420

Veteran
as of july 1, 2008 no more smoking tobacco in bars and restaurants, you will be able to smoke in the coffeeshops whether that means with tobacco or only pure hash, marijuana i am not sure.

So_Solid

Officially july 1 but a lot of places, like the airport and the more exclusive restaurants and clubs already started to ban tabacco on january the 1.

Coffeeshops will have to create a special enclosed "zone" where customers can smoke.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
lol...if i were a coffeshop owner id put a sign on the door saying "special enclosed smoking zone start here and ends at the back wall"
**** em
EDIT eh WTF when did the ****ing sweearword ****ing cecrorship start again...i thought theyd grown the **** up

which puritan piece of shit complained eh

Last edited:
Coffeeshop Extension

Coffeeshop Extension

Just spoke on telephone to manager at Hotel where I stay.
Seems the July 1 deadline for Coffeeshop rules has been extended, but no date given.
Anyone know anything ?
July 1 is also the date for hotels and bars, which will go into effect.
Schiphol Airport ban in effect January 1.

Last edited:
"Private Clubs" ?

"Private Clubs" ?

What if the Coffee shops became “private clubs” requiring a membership of, say, one Euro.
“Members” would be given a membership card and therefore the general public could be excluded.
If the Cops came by to check, everyone would have a membership card..
Could smoking then be permitted ?
In California , I knew someone who belonged to a cigar smoking club. They had personal humidors to store their cigars, and could smoke them at the location because they were members of a private club. In Calif., we have tough no-smoking laws.
Several Medical Cannabis Dispensaries allow smoking…a valid Cannabis Card or Physician’s Statement is required to enter.

The_Tick

Interesting Year For Amsterdam

Interesting Year For Amsterdam

Fewer windows in the Red Light District, shroom ban and a tobacco ban.

This doesn't sound too good...

G

yeah I've been visiting for the last five years and it's changed a lot in that space of time. It seems safer especially around the RLD not so many schemers, tramps, dealers and weirdo's on the streets.
But at the same time some of the magic and vibe of the place has gone. It's horrible when you see bordered up coffeeshops or converted brothels. I hope it doesn't continue in this trend or their tourism industry if fucked.

Last edited:

neuroherb

The folk I was speaking to at the coffeeshops in November were saying they were trying to get some accomodation in the rules for coffeeshops & they probably will. However one of the main areas pushing the smoking bans is health & safety at work or at least this is an excuse given that the employee's of bar's etc.. have to breathe second hand smoke. I reckon they will find a workaround since the Netherlands does get a healthy tax income through coffeeshop tourism. I also wouldn't see this as the demise of the coffeeshop or dutch decriminilisation as more european countries have followed their model or a variation of it.

Vaporize.
In San Francisco, California, vaporizing is not considered smoking under Ordinance 33 of the Health Dept., which regulates Medical Cannabis Dispensaries.

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
prepress420 said:
Vaporize.
In San Francisco, California, vaporizing is not considered smoking under Ordinance 33 of the Health Dept., which regulates Medical Cannabis Dispensaries.
Interesting....I'm gonna look in to how the laws on Vaporising stand elsewhere in the world,vapor only coffeshops is a great idea(or at least better than no coffeshops) and with the tubes and balloons etc secondhand or passive intoxication is limited as well. J

G

Amsterdam has changed so much in he last 10 years, it's nothing like it used to be. Yes it's cleaner and safer, but it's lost much of it's spirit and character.

Last time I was in the Grey Area I was stood waiting to read the menu and the guy pointed to the 'no loitering' sign. I mean, I had a 20 euro note in my hand and was clearly waiting to be served. I went elsewhere to buy some bud.

The Dutch have become less friendly too, they seem really jaded and sick of tourists. You need apermit to do anything now, there are many more free and bohemian cities in Europe now than the Dam, Barcelone and Prague feel much more laid back and cool these days.

G

THIS SUCKS,so does tobacco......

Well i guess im gonna miss the dam?
AND I HAVE EVEN BEEN YET.........
Geeeeeeeeeeeeez what a world.

C

Chamba

everyone is saying how these bans will affect tourism...

Have you ever talked to a Amsterdam couple with young children?...or elderly Amsterdammers? I haven't but my bro in law is Dutch and he tells me that you will find that a majority of Amsterdammers would not really miss the drunken, vomiting, fighting, drugged out louts that crowd their city every night....as tolerant as they are, I think they are fed up with the spaced out cases, hard drugs and street crime, the hoards of guys off their heads..they want their city back, polititians listen to voters.. ..if supporting the bans mushies, smoking of all types etc and reducing the ho areas achieves it, then they will be happier....

what the city needs is an enclosed area where the 20 something drunken English, Swedes and Germans can go and vomit and fight and fall down without tripping over a baby stroller or bumping into an elderly Dutchman.

Last edited:
C

Chamba

do yourself a favor Lougrew...visit Amsterdam and enjoy that beautiful city..enjoy the freedom while they still last

I love Amsterdam.....it's the Canna-Mecca and every smoker should go there at least once.....but I enoy it alot better during the day before the rats come out in force at night.

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
prepress420 said:
What if the Coffee shops became “private clubs” requiring a membership of, say, one Euro.
“Members” would be given a membership card and therefore the general public could be excluded.

This is exactly what Activists in Amsterdam are planning.
Members clubs protecting the "constitutional rights" of coffeeshop patrons.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chamba said:
what the city needs is an enclosed area where the 20 something drunken English, Swedes and Germans can go and vomit and fight and fall down without tripping over a baby stroller or bumping into an elderly Dutchman.

How about brownbars stop serving alcohol first!!

This would help clear up the oude voorburgwal area in a flash.

Now we can only apologise for the behaviour of the drunken English 'football thugs' who follow the cheap beer and whore scene in Amsterdam's redlight area to an extent. Monkey see monkey do,, many of them are animals that only temporarily got let out of their urban cages!

Likewise decriminalisation in the UK would help reduce much of the tourism associated with the coffeeshop trade and industry in Holland. A trade and industry that Queen B and the Dutch government are happy to make revenue from. Not forgetting that Amsterdam/Holland actually holds a tollerant monopoly on the European cannabis market and retail outlet scene :no:

Free the people and the erb will liberate itself... :canabis:

peace
dLeaf :joint:

Last edited:
G

The Dutch see the Red Light as a theme park for drunken loutish foreigners. I think, as Chamba and the Doc suggest, either an enclosed area for the louts or deciminalisation in their home countries would make a huge difference.

Latest posts

Latest posts