What's new

When do you paint females with pollen ?

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
seeds require alot of the plants energy. I notice that buds are much smaller on heavily dusted plants. I imagine that what ever energy goes to the seeded preflowers is energy that is not gonna go to the buds, so I believe it would reduce bud size on the entire plant. How much? Probably not that much. a few seeded preflowers is nothing to a healthy plant.
I don't know about the buds being smaller (or less potent), but it's true that a lot of the plant's energy goes to developing seeds. What is also definitely true is that the yield will be smaller. Given two buds of the same size, one with and one without seeds, which one is going to give you more smokable material? A fully seeded bud can have half its weight in seeds. In other words, an oz of seeded bud might contain only 1/2 oz of actual bud and 1/2 oz of seeds (more or less).

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
I just read in Jorge Cervantes book 'Marijuana grow basics' that seeds are viable after 6 days and can be harvested any time after the sixth day. Anyone know how true this info is? Now it does say that it can take between 4-6 weeks for fully mature seeds and that the longer the seeds remain growing the better the germ rates.

I realize most people on this forum are more interested in seedless buds but, I sure would like an in-depth conversation on the process of seed-making.
I would also like to discuss whether seeded buds are more or less potent. Does the process of making seeds slow down or stop the growing process of the buds? Would dusting preflowers reduce the bud growth for the entire plant?
[I just read in Jorge Cervantes book 'Marijuana grow basics' that seeds are viable after 6 days and can be harvested any time after the sixth day.]

BS has to be misprint seed take much longer then 6 days to become viable
or duder is pumping the world full of BS. but again his book was wrote from info from other websites which no longer are around. overgrowdotcom and i believe cannibis culture was another forum the info for his book was compiled. and then placed into print and sold to the general public who then believe his word is gold because he has a book in print.

i've only made 29 crosses so i'm schooled in seed making i like to use qtip roll it into the pollen and tap like ashn a cig onto the desired sites to be pollenated.

ok i like 3wks into flower i remove the plant or plants to be seeded i dust with qtip as mentioned above every desired site. now i place said plant/plants into dark closet for 24 hr's, 2 hrs before lights on in flower next day i remove pollenated plants and mist with spray bottle to get all acess pollen off plants and allow to ry before place back into flower. pollenation has taken by now and in 2-3 wks you'll see the seed go from small to larger white then around 5-6wks they have color and some have become viable. you'll need 4-6wks min but longer only makes more viable seed, not a better germ rate.

if your only creating a few seed you dont need to remove plant you can dust a lower site and cover it with a brown paper bag twist tie it secure around bottom of branch for 24hrs then mist the lower down to remove acess pollen.

the above is how i've made thousands of viable seed big thx to brotha Jaws for the schooling of me.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Originally Posted by Owl Mirror
I just read in Jorge Cervantes book 'Marijuana grow basics' that seeds are viable after 6 days and can be harvested any time after the sixth day. Anyone know how true this info is? Now it does say that it can take between 4-6 weeks for fully mature seeds and that the longer the seeds remain growing the better the germ rates.

I realize most people on this forum are more interested in seedless buds but, I sure would like an in-depth conversation on the process of seed-making.
I would also like to discuss whether seeded buds are more or less potent. Does the process of making seeds slow down or stop the growing process of the buds? Would dusting preflowers reduce the bud growth for the entire plant?

I just made a digital search of Marijuana Grow Basics and could not find anything where I said "that seeds are viable after 6 days and can be harvested any time after the sixth day."

I do not know where you found that information. I can certainly tell you that it is not true and I did not write it anywhere. In fact one of my favorite sayings regarding ripe marijuana seeds is that they are ready when the "rattle in the pod"
Please reread the book, Marijuana Grow Basics, and read it carefully so that you disseminate correct information.

Thanks,

Jorge

Hello Jorge, here is page 20 of the book in question.

seeds-page20marijuanagrowbasics.jpg

If I misinterpreted what you meant to imply, I do apologise.
I assumed that harvesting seeds after six to eight days from pollination also meant they were viable.
If this passage was meant to say the seeds would be large enough to pick off and throw away,
then I guess I can understand the statement.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
¡Coño, tu tienes razon!

You are right! I will change this in the next printing! Thanks for pointing this glaring error out to readers, growers and me (the last to get it!)

it was a mistake, "days" should have been "weeks"

Thanks again!

Yes, I just hope the reputation I have gained as passing along wrong, incorrect information can be repaired as easily.
I now have many people claiming I do not know what I'm saying and am promoting BAD information.

Thank you for recognizing this error and admitting to it.

Otherwise I like your book and have applied things I've learned to help me grow the best I can.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
This is from another Jorge Cervantes book "Indoor Marijuana Horticulture"

Page 291, Seed Crops
Harvest seed crops when seeds are big and ripe. Often seeds actually split open their containing seed bract. Flowering females grow many ready, receptive calyxes until pollination occurs. Seeds are mature within 6-8 weeks. Once pollinated, most of the female's energy goes into seed production. THC content is usually of minimum importance. Seed crops can be left until seeds "rattle in the pod". Watch out for insects, mites and fungus that attack the weakening female and her cache of ripe seeds.

Home breeders often pollinate only one or two branches. The unpollinated branches are sinsemilla. The sinsemilla tops are harvest when ripe. The seeded branches continue to mature for another week or two. When seeds are mature, remove them from the pods by rubbing the seeded bud over a container. Seperate seeds from marijuana and store them in a cool, dry place. The seeds are viable and ready for planting as soon as they are harvested, but they may grow some sickly plants. Let the seeds dry out a month or two before planting. Seeds with a hard outer cask are the most likely to sprout and grow well.

sunwukong

artificial insemination. its easy you cant go wrong really. and almost always get more seeds than you need. my seedbo days are over after once g13hazed open pollination. then used stored g13haze pollen to hit my heirloom sk2, diesel, ww, wr and kali.

For real. Went out and spent a couple hundred on seeds of nice strains for my 09 outdoor. Found some really great ladies and two promising males. I collected the pollen inside, went out fourish weeks ago and dusted the females with a small unused makeup brush. Took two plants down this week and I can tell I have hundreds of seeds off the two alone. I have 9 more plants of 3 different strains and remembered I dusted them all. I'm going to be in seed heaven. I'll still cruise the bay, because its awesome, but my next few grows are going to be focused on these beans. I'll try my hand at breeding for my own fun and give some to seedbay for freebie giveaways. Spread the love around, ya know?

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Hi Owl Mirror, all we can do is our best.
If I give out incorrect information, all I can do is correct it and move on.

I agree and shall move on as well.
I am sorry if my comment was a bit edgy, I just get flustered by some folks on here who ridicule others, even after they are proven correct.
You didn't do that but, others have and that is where my anger stems from.
I'm trying my best to grow my own and at every step it seems a few snobs chime in and belittle my efforts.

Again, thanks for the book. It has helped me improve my skills.

BigLaughter

Hi.
A small question in this subject.What happends if the flowers are pollinated later then 3d or 4th week into flowering?
Lets say that the flower is pollinated in week 6.Is the plant gona die and not produce any seeds or will it stay alive untill the seeds is mature enough?