What's new

whats your prefered heating method for cold weather(lofties)?

e4ian

My loft is very warm.On a hot day the heat is stifling and i dont grow in there,i grow on
the floor below and use a 120w tube heater on cold days.Doubt you would need much more than that in aloft,2 maybe.

e

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
go up at midnight e take a coat with you

last year before the upgrade It was around 3-5 degrees on a night bloody freezing

I'm finding temps much easier to controll this time round

peace

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
go up at midnight e take a coat with you

last year before the upgrade It was around 3-5 degrees on a night bloody freezing

I'm finding temps much easier to controll this time round

peace

amen man..

two tube heaters? shit mate lofts are hot in summer dont get me wrong but when the weather turns (like now) its freezing. no better than growing outside.

we should definately have a proper loft growers thread on here. we battle the elements and growing in a normal room seems like a luxury to me. controling temps would be a piece of piss.

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
gimme a bedroom any day

al get some pics up of how I've actually done my loft so people can see

it cost under 200 quid to insulate and does the job pretty well in summer and winter

peace

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
cool that will be interesting. next year im gonna gut it and sort it out. cant be dealing with all this cold. too much agro mate

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Hmmmn.Ever thought of sealing any lightleaks and growing at night SU ?
Makes logical sense!

yes man im contemplaiting this at the moment. i dont think i have light leaks so thats good. the main issue is the low humming noise from the fans/extractor. bout a 1500w oil rad so il see how that goes. when it finally gets here.

another day of rain today. its gotta run out at some point?

I

Iffy-Caradoc

We all worry about that humming noise upstairs! lol. I turn the volume off on the telly and just sit there listening for it. Its good my grow's at home now so I can react quickly to things as they happen. The water pumps move and begin to rattle, and I can nip up and sort it. I'm in a line of terraced houses so the noise is my worst concern. I heard a loud crash from my 'loftie' at 2.30 am and shot up the stepladders in a panic only to find a shelf with two ballasts on the floor. (poor fixing - dickhead). I hang all my fans from rubber 'O' rings and shelf brackets, stops that horrible humming.
The key is, we are all learning - always. Learn from your mistakes. This group is fantastic in that respect, so many knowledgable people, willing to share their mistakes so that we dont have to repeat them!

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Had to get rid of my loft cab a while back. On a budget since losing job. This year I started ice from fms and if you remember it was a cold spring. Had 2 oil filled radiators with thermastats, had 1 just infront of a desktop fan blowing the warm air over the plants with the other to the side, both set at about halfway. To my amazement I was able with daily tweaking of radiators ( pain in the ass ) to keep temps roughly where they were meant to be. I did do battle with this grow, but with a 600watt dual spectrum light, black and white sheeting, a couple of oil filled rad's, plagron soils and canna bio flower nut's I did well. Crop finished in early July and the 6 plants produced an amazing amount of bud of which I'm still smoking, and not even halfway through.

Just started 6 C99 from FMS, they are a week old, just potted up, still in light mix with a few ammendments etc. But yeah I'm worried about the cold, espeically when I flip. So next day off work I'm off to B & Q/Wickes to see if I can get some thermal sheeting. Thanks to whoever said that.

Yeah should be a sticky....loft growers..lol

2hi2soon

Haven't read all of the other posts but oil rad does the job for me when things are a bit parky.

Edit: and proper insulation is a must. Just my 2p

2h2s

Cloneman

Veteran
I always run my lights at night.
When its hot its best.
When its cold its best, plus when you get the insulation sorted and use a rad, the electric wont be as as expensive.

Oh yea and invest in some cotton wool.................put it in your ears and go to bed. No noise then!

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I always run my lights at night.
When its hot its best.
When its cold its best, plus when you get the insulation sorted and use a rad, the electric wont be as as expensive.

Oh yea and invest in some cotton wool.................put it in your ears and go to bed. No noise then!

lol yeah il buy the neighbours some too huh??

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
the cotton wool is for the snoring missus

hardly any noise here and i got 4 fans on the go

2x 6" rvk l1
1 6" rvka1
1 td150 silent (which is the loudest lol)

you wouldnt believe how efficient acaustic ducting is till you try it

peace

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
yeah ive often wondered if the acoustic ducting is worth the extra money. might upgrade everything for next year.

I

Iffy-Caradoc

Just started 6 C99 from FMS, they are a week old, just potted up, still in light mix with a few ammendments etc. But yeah I'm worried about the cold, espeically when I flip. So next day off work I'm off to B & Q/Wickes to see if I can get some thermal sheeting. Thanks to whoever said that.

Yeah should be a sticky....loft growers..lol[/quote]

Just uploaded some photos of my loftie mate, with that silver thermo foil - works a treat!

Latest posts

Latest posts