What's new

What's Your Lawyer Fund?

S

SeaMaiden

I had to fight a case once. Whoever said $20k goes poof is right.

It's amazing, isn't it? And then you start wondering, "Why didn't *I* go to law school?" while you're watching them collect what often amounts to someone's entire annual salary, to get a fucking plea deal.

M

Mtn Dew

word bro. 100mph on city streets. you must be the only person in your little universe. if i ever saw u i'd slap you in the face and then roll my super duty over your fucking hood. and then i'd teach you to spell. /rant

:tiphat:
Then u would meet a legal fully registered 40. S&W up close and personal. Been doing GJJ for like 15yrs doubt u would slap me/do any of this and return in one piece. One more thing I was like 18/19yrs old when all that went down. See here we have this lil thing called CCW permit. Would I do something like this today I doubt it.LMAO Hard to run over something your redneck truck couldn't catch.Its ppl like u who think they are tough where I live and get themselves shot or put in a box. Ppl here wont hesitate to add a lil lead to your diet

Id let u run over my car just so I could empty a clip into u. What u think would happen ????Id put a big show on about how u made threats. I tried to get away and couldn't u said u were gonna kill me run me over and I was scared for my life LOL .once u touched the vehicle (with yours),it been all bad for u and whos ever in the vehicle with u. they would take me in , do background check on me and slap me with 4-5yrs if that .once they seen your vehicle on mine. Id pay with maybe 3-5yrs of my life, u would never breath again .

Id see u high tailing 99% sure to your truck to call 911 once u saw Mr.S&W in reality. minute u came up to vehicle id just rolled windows up u slapped or punched my windows id cut the wheel at what ever direction ,and let the 373 9in posi rearend smack u at about 6800rpm. Or u would piss me off and id put your ass to sleep and leave u laying where u stood .It cost me 200$ for court and 50$ for disorderly u wouldn't be the first I checked in for thinking they are billy bad ass. This is my whole reason for GJJ/BJJ ppl who think they bad who really aint

Hopefully u will think before ever reacting like this to a real life situation . It could cost u your life. I bet your lady wishes your dick was as big as that mouth your running

IM A VERY PASSIVE PERSON, DONT THINK OF ME AS A VIOLENT PERSON. I JUST DONT TAKE ANY SHIT FROM NO ONE

TB Gardens

Veteran
hahahahha dude your literally a fucking idiot... now i understand why you can't spell. you tell nice stories.

M

Mtn Dew

hahahahha dude your literally a fucking idiot... now i understand why you can't spell. you tell nice stories.

Whats a story . U thinking u would get away with driving up on my car or smacking me . Like I said I'd put holes in u .The minute id fear for my life . Its legal to carry a gun here CCW permit.Threaten a Texas mans life or break into his home see what we do to u . We send folks like u back in bags. So what im not here for spelling class or English .

TB Gardens

Veteran
are you confused? do you think this has really happened or something? i was painting a picture of what a douche bag you were. you think i would honestly drive my truck onto a hood of a car because their speeding? dude.... i really should just stop here.

check your ego at the keyboard, its the fucking internet homie.

M

Mtn Dew

are you confused? do you think this has really happened or something? i was painting a picture of what a douche bag you were. you think i would honestly drive my truck onto a hood of a car because their speeding? dude.... i really should just stop here.

check your ego at the keyboard, its the fucking internet homie.

Ive saw worst in my time when ppl are on a rage. My ego ?? Really. I do agree I put a lot of ppls lives at danger and it wasn't right . Hey we were all young at one time

Mr Pengra

This was a very interesting thread until it turned into a flame war.

On a lighter note, "If you're gonna take a fall, you better call Saul." I've been watching too much breaking bad...

M

Mtn Dew

This was a very interesting thread until it turned into a flame war.

On a lighter note, "If you're gonna take a fall, you better call Saul." I've been watching too much breaking bad...

Im done don't worry

10+ years ago my pal caught several DEA felony indictments including the word "tons." Import/export stuff. (they like to over-indict.) $50,000 and a good deal of ratting later he walked away.When he moved to a different part of the country he told me me as he left who might be responsible if he ever were to disappear or die in unusual circumstances; guess I'm an insurance policy of sorts.
And to the person who said leave a large retainer with an attorney because you can always get it back. ?????

S

SeaMaiden

Attorneys have very stringent legal requirements regarding retainers and such. If they did not render services and you request those funds back, they have to be able to disburse them immediately.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I've known a metric crapton of people who have gone through criminal cases (I spent 6+ years in prison).

Cost is not a clear indication of quality. I cannot count the number of people who paid, 30k, 40k, 50k, and up and hated their lawyer and felt he did a shit job. Likewise, there were no shortage of people who paid under 20k and thought their lawyer was great.

Do your research on the person you are thinking of hiring.

:yeahthats

As an analogy, do more expensive nutes always mean better nutes?

qupee

As an analogy, do more expensive nutes always mean better nutes?

Of course not, but it was suggested earlier in the thread.

Attorneys have very stringent legal requirements regarding retainers and such. If they did not render services and you request those funds back, they have to be able to disburse them immediately.

And interestingly enough the big drug dealer's go-to attorney in my town was recently indicted over numerous complaints that he took money and did not provide services. Disappearing retainers were a big part of that I understand.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
It's all about who the defense attorney is and who they eat lunch with.

I know a few who've spent way too much $$ for not so ideal of an outcome. An expensive norml lawyer from the county over or wherever aint gonna do you much good. You want the guy that was once a prosecutor and has a wink and nod relationship with the judge.

They like to keep crooked in the circle.

Who's kids do you wanna help put through school? Private school is expensive these days. ;)

qupee

It's all about who the defense attorney is and who they eat lunch with.

Turned out my lawyer was good friends with some broad that my parole hearing officer was trying to hook up with.

I was on parole for a 1st degree sales (meth) from 2001 and got raided and caught with about 60 flowering plants under 2800w in 4 tents plus vegging and clones (they claimed like 165 plants, but that's exaggerated at least somewhat - they said cut-off branches in the garbage bag count as plants, lol).

My lawyer got my bail on the growing charge dropped completely, and got the parole hearing officer to let me out on home monitoring (could only be out 10a-7p M-F), but it did take a month to get into that hearing while I sat in county jail.

Could've taken a plea for the mandatory minimum 6 months (only do 4 - the minimum is for my prior drug charge), but we volunteered for 9 months (do 6 - minus the 1 I already sat) so that it counts completely for my parole violation - that is, they will just restructure me instead of revoking me and giving me time.

I'm also doing the 5 months on house arrest - on the SCRAM bracelet - and I can only go out Saturdays from 8a-noon (I work from home, otherwise I'd go to work too).

My lawyer charged $7500 for the whole thing, that was the quote up front for the new charge and the parole hearing, it also covered any preliminary motions but not a trial and it covered a bunch of miscellaneous like communicating with family, setting up a CD eval, assisting with securing work release/home monitoring. I did also have to pay like $250 for a CD eval and I had to go to outpatient treatment to the tune of about $2000.

The most expensive part was the drop in income. I didn't exactly lose my job, but I effectively lost my job. Went from $100k salary to lucky if I clear $30k this year.

Anyway, every time I was in court someone wanted to say "oh hello so good to see you again" to my lawyer, and I got a lot of nudges on the side and whispers of "you picked good" from court officials including prosecutors, public defenders, private defense attorneys, one judge, bailiffs, and my own parole officer as well as the hearing officer.

I can't claim any credit for finding him, though. My sister did the research on that while I sat in jail, and with one meeting I felt he was going to be a good choice.

My old lady on the other hand. Never been in any trouble. She also got charged with 5th degree sales. Took a public defender and she got a diversion program. Basically she does 1 year of probation and as long as she gets through that it's like it never happened - doesn't show up on criminal background searches. Granted, we had my lawyer pop his head in and say hi at a couple points and we gave her public defender a little nudge to great effect. In fact, both our charges got dropped from sales to possession from one nudge. :)

S

SeaMaiden

Of course not, but it was suggested earlier in the thread.

And interestingly enough the big drug dealer's go-to attorney in my town was recently indicted over numerous complaints that he took money and did not provide services. Disappearing retainers were a big part of that I understand.

I wonder how long he had that racket going. They're required to have a special account that, in California at least, is overseen by the state bar. All retainer funds go into and are disbursed from that account, and they have to provide the ledgers for the accounts, IIRC.

Some attorneys are *such* sons of bitches. I could go on a real tear right now, but I'll save it. Get a bad one, though, and s/he can cost you tens upon tens of thousands of dollars, if not everything you have and are worth.

qupee

I wonder how long he had that racket going. They're required to have a special account that, in California at least, is overseen by the state bar. All retainer funds go into and are disbursed from that account, and they have to provide the ledgers for the accounts, IIRC.

Some attorneys are *such* sons of bitches. I could go on a real tear right now, but I'll save it. Get a bad one, though, and s/he can cost you tens upon tens of thousands of dollars, if not everything you have and are worth.

Probably a while. I'd heard about him as the drug kingpin lawyer at least 10 years ago. Tried to contact him on my case back in November, couldn't get a meeting without a $50k retainer. :nono:

growshopfrank

Veteran
In my part of the universe CRIMINAL lawyers will not take retainers unless you have been charged with an offense but they will hold funds in trust
its been my experience that if you establish a working relationship with a lawyer (as in funds in trust) defense costs are greatly reduced VS some slob calling from remand

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i don't think a lot of grow busts go to trial. Usually end up taking a plea.
maybe i'm nuts but i aint copping to shit!!!!!!!!! if they want me to do time again they are gonna have to force it on me. :wallbash:

watts

ohms
Veteran
Just depends on the discovery and evidence they have. Sucks taking a plea but usually its grower error and/or snitches - or just really bad luck, so they have enough evidence to convict. Otherwise, it's good to fight it if you think you have a strong case and the money to back it up. Saying you use/grow cannabis for pain and it's a non-violent crime doesn't fly in court usually, at least in non med-states of course.

Latest posts

Latest posts