What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whats your current favorite cloning method??

GenghisKush

Silica and Calcium makes strong roots?
I was gonna look into Meristem Media recipes
Saw here several people are feeding weak fertz
Hormones minerals and vitamins ???

I dont add anything just ultra pure water
With some anti slime chem the fert is ok ?
Does water ph ec have variable results?

Have noticed rough ends scizzors or pinched ends instead of surgical razor cuts produce more healthier looking roots, similar to scrapi g the cambium layer . Variety of strain makes everthing vary, its a apple to orange comparison unless all clones are the same...

Anyone on the nute part ?

ace I found these over in your thread, and I think they are pretty good methods. and, somehow, this is the way the US Government is suggesting people clone their cannabis nowadays.

they're reccomending little-to-no ferts in aeroponics (they even say use DI, which I interpreted to be distilled (deionized) water, which surprises me) for first 3 days. in soil or peat or other medium they just suggest using sterilized media and water. they also recommend scoring cuts to expose cambium layer.

Amazing resource. Thank you for sharing it.

I'm digging these procedures from the USDA for cloning cannabis

Cloning​

🧪Cloning🧪
Cuttings should be harvested from disease-free stock plants under non-stressed conditions. Collect turgid cuttings during optimal water conditions (non-wilted plants). Environmental conditions that increase propagation success are provided by an atmosphere that reduces water loss and maintains leaf turgidity, with optimal humidity between 75 and 90%, often achieved using humidity domes or “mini greenhouses”. Ample but not excessive light and clean, moist, and well aerated rooting media should also be provided (Casillas 2016). Ideal temperature should be around 25-27 °C (78-80 °F) with a root zone temperature of about 27-30 °C (80-85 °F). Once cuttings are taken, check for disease daily along with moisture content of media. If using humidity domes, monitor humidity levels and include fresh air daily.
Materials
  • Scissors/Pruning shears
  • Lab Gloves
  • IBA based rooting Hormone (we use Clonex™)
  • Beakers/Cups
  • Spray Bottle w/ water
  • Sterile medium (potting soil/Oasis Cubes/Water)
  • Humidity domes (if using potting soil + trays)
  • 70% ethanol (alternative isopropyl alcohol)
  • Paper towels
  • Seedling flats
  • Disease-free Cannabis plants (ideally in the vegetative state)
  • Aeroponic apparatus
  • Mist timer
  • Heating mat
View attachment 18895866
Common cloning tools and supplies
Methods (Aeroponic/Hydroponic)
  1. Start with clean water (DI or tap) with no fertilizer
  2. Cut lateral branch close to a node at a 45-degree angle
  3. Gently scrape the stem around the cut to expose cambium layer
  4. Remove any lower branches, keep approximately 3-5 nodes worth of leaves, leaving cutting looking like a “palm tree”
  5. If taking many cuttings at a time, place cuttings in a beaker/cup of water until ready to dip into rooting hormone
  6. Dip bottom 2 cm of cutting in rooting hormone, IBA (Clonex™)
  7. Place cutting in aeroponic/hydroponic system
  8. Let sit and watch for roots (7-14 days)
  9. Use alcohol to disinfect tools before moving on to the next accession
View attachment 18895865
Aeroponic cloning setup at PGRU
Methods (Potting soil/Oasis Cubes/Humidity Dome)
  1. Cut lateral branch close to a node at a 45-degree angle
  2. Gently scrape the stem around the cut to expose cambium layer
  3. Remove any lower branches, keep approximately 3-5 nodes worth of leaves, leaving cutting looking like a “palm tree”
  4. If taking many cuttings at once, place cuttings into beaker/cup filled with water until ready to dip into rooting hormone
  5. When ready to root cuttings, emerge bottom 2cm of cutting in rooting hormone (Clonex™)
  6. Place cutting with rooting hormone into seedling tray with potting soil or oasis cubes
  7. Place humidity dome onto tray, mist water on inside of humidity dome
  8. Let sit and watch for roots (7-14 days)
  9. Use isopropyl alcohol to disinfect tools before moving on to the next accession
View attachment 18895864
Typical humidity dome setup
Modified aeroponic rooting system protocol (Regas et al. 2021)
  1. Generation of a mother plant for clonal propagation
    1. Select healthy, female mother plant that exhibits desirable traits
    2. Allow mother plant to reach the appropriate size (roughly 25 mature shoots) for clonal propagation
    3. Allow mother plants to remain in the vegetative growth stage (light:dark = 18h:6h) to promote shoot growth for future propagation
  2. Construction and preparation of aeroponic system
    1. Begin by positioning the lid on top of the container. Drill desired number of holes into the lid while providing adequate space (~3cm) between each
    2. Position water pump in the center of the container
    3. Pour 7-8 L of distilled water into the container so that the pump nozzle remains roughly 2.3 cm above the waterline. NOTE: This ensures the submersible water pump can push water with enough force to spread across the container lid. Distilled water is recommended; however, regular tap water may also be used.
    4. Situate the appropriate amount of Oasis Cubes or media of choice into each slot. Turn on the pump and allow it to run for 24 h on a set timer.
  3. Selecting and excising appropriate shoots
    1. Collect shoots near the apical meristem using a sterilized scalpel or scissor. Cuttings are ~10 cm in length, ideally with several nodes. NOTE: Cut the stem at a 45° angle. Cutting at a 45° angle increases the surface area of the basal portion of the cutting, allowing more space for root development.
    2. Remove all foliage except foliage present on the top three nodes
    3. Dip the newly excised cutting into the rooting solution containing indole-3-butyric acid (IBA) ~ 2-5 cm up from the base of the stem for ~5 s
    4. Insert the cutting into the center of an Oasis cube positioned in the aeroponic system. NOTE: the cutting insertion depth is to remain ~1-2 cm from the bottom of the Oasis Cube
    5. Mist the unrooted cuttings with the water every 100 seconds for 20 seconds
    6. Grow the cuttings with 18-24 h of light per day with a photosynthetic photon flux density (PPFD) of 100 µmol/m2/s at 24-29°C and 40-60% relative humidity.
  4. Aeroponic system maintenance and propagule health
    1. Replenish the system with water at a pH between 5.0-6.0 every 2-5 days
    2. Lightly mist the cuttings every 100 seconds for 20 seconds
    3. Add 5 mL of each nutrient solution to the reservoir every 3-5 days
    4. Add 15 mL of the algae and bacteria cleaning solution containing hypochlorous acid (0.028%) per 10 L of water every 5 days
  5. Transplanting propagules
    1. Select the cuttings with long, white, fibrous roots. NOTE: Avoid cuttings with brown, slimy, and short root systems as this is an indicator for the presence of root rot and will usually take longer to acclimate to the new growing medium and can bring unwanted diseases.
    2. Place cutting into potting soil media, transplant propagules to 4 L nursery pot filled with a nutritious soil mix. NOTE: Watering immediately is recommended to prevent the roots from drying out.
  6. Cleaning and storage of aeroponic system
    1. When the system is no longer in use, wash with water and clean with 70% ethanol or another disinfectant (i.e Greenshield)
    2. Remove the filter from the water pump and rinse with water to remove debris
    3. Dry the system by wiping it down with paper towels or washcloth
    4. Place pump inside the tub with the lid on and store until it is needed.

alvin88

4 cuts each of my 3 Lao phenos. 2 in hempy cups and 2 in root riots. Temp pad set at 74.
Pray for me 😅
20231018_151634.jpg

GF-Z

Peat / coco / perlite mix -> plastic covered propogator > spray and vent propogator once a day > IBA rooting hormone > 100% success rate so far... Most important is to keep humidity constant, so the cuttings would not stress. If they stress - they are done.

GreenBearCA

Besides having health moms I like to preload the moms with a foliar spray a couple days before of Monterey Garden Phos, calcium, silica, and IBA. Take my cuttings and do any IPM treatment dip on clippings, dry and cut. Then push the stem to bottom of media to form a proper callus for root development (Slownickel Tek). If using domes I like to use one the fungus based pesticide in a foliar spray with clonex fert once first roots are showing and the dome is off.

This is probably overkill for most but only follow above once you have perfected health moms and have a stable environment to root in.

Latest posts

Latest posts