What's new

whats the deal with these autopots?

BlindDate

Veteran
I'm using the Autopots for a few bonsai mothers in Coco. They show signs of overwater but are in general good health. I would recommend mixing wih perlite 60/40. It's too late for me this time since the roots are grown out.

The best thing is zero maintnance.

dubracer

I didnt read anything of the other responses for this system in the thread, but I have a friend who has been using this system and with the trouble/problems they have had, I would never recommend this to anyone. By trying to make the system less complicated and more automated, they have managed to take a simple concept and make it worse. The stupid "intelligent" valves are anything but intelligent and you will have problems with some pots being too wet and other pots being less wet. For the amount of trouble and effort you need to put into this system to make it work well, you are better off putting in more effort in the beginning for a nice ebb/flow system. Honestly youd be better off hand watering and having no reservoir.

Now, someone has probably grown good dank with this system, but for the price I think it is a total ripoff and there are a plethora of better choices out there.

PS. Growing cannabis is not hard...but it is also not easy and for a good product you better expect youll have to put some good effort in as well. So if your going to go through the trouble of growing cannabis, then you can go through the minor trouble of building your own system (for less money. The Autopot system also sets plants too close together and its amazing how much the system can leak without having any real pressure in the lines.

Last edited:
dubracer said:
I didnt read anything of the other responses for this system in the thread, but I have a friend who has been using this system and with the trouble/problems they have had, I would never recommend this to anyone. By trying to make the system less complicated and more automated, they have managed to take a simple concept and make it worse. The stupid "intelligent" valves are anything but intelligent and you will have problems with some pots being too wet and other pots being less wet. For the amount of trouble and effort you need to put into this system to make it work well, you are better off putting in more effort in the beginning for a nice ebb/flow system. Honestly youd be better off hand watering and having no reservoir.

Now, someone has probably grown good dank with this system, but for the price I think it is a total ripoff and there are a plethora of better choices out there.

PS. Growing cannabis is not hard...but it is also not easy and for a good product you better expect youll have to put some good effort in as well. So if your going to go through the trouble of growing cannabis, then you can go through the minor trouble of building your own system (for less money. The Autopot system also sets plants too close together and its amazing how much the system can leak without having any real pressure in the lines.

I have to respectfully disagree with most of your post Dubracer.

I haven't had any problems with them except once with some salt build up in the end of one of the autopot modules...easily fixed with a toothpick...

The Smartvalves have worked excellent for me...the plants love it! Way easier than DWC...you would get some better results with DWC...but I'm willing to sacrifice that for simplicity.

My effort: I check the pH once during the week and add nutes once a week...pretty simple really..oh yeah raise the light also. I spend more effort on the plants in veg with no autopots.

I do agree that the two 10" pots are a little too close together...but it works great for SOG...and small bushes . I also agree they are a little overpriced...but I'd still buy em again.

I recommend to have your friend read this thread...maybe it could help him. :yes: I have only seen good things about them...until your post.

Edit: Mine has never leaked BTW and I would check the connections as this is most likely the issue...not even sure of where they could leak...unless it was somewhere other than the Autopot module...then it wouldn't be to blame for that. I'll get some pics of my setup up in in about a month...

Some pics all courtesy of the Autopot :D

D39 day 58 (it's around 70 day pheno)

Strawberry Diesel Day 40 I think....went 63

JC

Edited to add pics and a link:

Here is the link where it explain how they work with diagrams:

Post #10

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=57154

These are a couple from Futuregardens website...hope they don't mind the free PR with the use of their pics.

Some dwarf banana plants

Last edited:

cheetos

nice work! Gotta love the d39. I still have people talking about it from my last grow. Itll be interesting how they yield in the end on these autopots. Hey dubracer man im sorry to hear about the problems youre friend had. It must have been hell for him. When i can grow again im going to buy a system and do a test run. That might be a while though. But in the meantime keep the info coming!

Hey Cheetos..hows it going? Been in this thread already:wink: (Enjoy a Toke Avatar)...but deleted my account for security.

Can't beat the D-39...everyone goes crazy for it...too much for me to smoke consistently though.

I'll be getting some new additions to my grow and will do a thread with the Autopots form start to finish in a little bit.

I think a lot of people would love them...but just don't understand them well enough and don't want to drop that much $$$ on not knowing.

One thing I'll do different next run is flush every few weeks for a few days and see if that helps with the finished product....don't want any salt build ups with the coco...not that I've noticed just trying an experiment.

JC :wave:

Just received another Autopot a couple days ago...they went back to their original design for the 10" pots...wayyyyyy better quality again :yes:. They also include all the hardware needed to connect to the main feedline. Looks like they care about quality and value again IMO.

Ordered from WW and it came anything but stealth...big pic on the side of the box with he name. :no: :nono:

Note: I talked to one of the other people having problems with the Autopot...they were using straight coco instead of mixed with something like Perlite and not oxygenating their reservoir which are both very important for success IMO.

Just trying to help some people out that have had some problems with them or are thinking about trying them...

JC

Ah Tzul

i am using the smartgarden for my veg and it works great. i'm working on setting up my own troughs for bloom, but for now i hand water my coco. it is alot of work, but i don't have much of a social life anyways. as soon as i'm allowed to post pics i will start a grow log.

Hey Ah Tzul...I just checked em out...never heard of the SmartGarden until you mentioned it...I would love to get some of those for veg...maybe soon...might even build em myself. I hand water my plants in veg which are also in coco. I would love to make it easier if possible and those look great especially for taking vacations. I'll stick with the Autopot for flower though...

Heres a SCROG pic of two D-39 flowering in an Autopot. Day 23 (12/12)

JC

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
What is the ph of your water? What's the ppm?

I made my own "system" with local stuff except for the smartvalve. Which by the way, does more than just flood. It lets the plants dry out for a little while before filling again. There are two valves inside the smartvalve. I have at the very bottom of the pot a piece of root control fabric to prevent the roots from growing out and soil leaks. I also have 1 inch of perlite at the bottom for drainage. I noticed many people (that use autopots) double up their pots to limit how much water the soil soaks up. The fabric and the inch of perlite are recommended in the manual for the autopot. So far so good, except I don't know what ph to keep my soil. I have been running 6.3-6.3 and have some deficiencies. I current use 75% fox farm ocean and 25% perlite with a pinch of earth worm castings.

Thanks!

Hey 3dDream...I'm not running soil so I won't be too much help...but I have a couple links that'll help ya.

Def Pictures - VERY handy by Klutter the pictures can be zoomed in on once clicking them.

Plant Nutrition and Visual Diagnosis by GratefulH3ad The fourth pic down has a side by side of the pH for soil and hydro.

I'm running coco with perlite and my mix is about 60/40 to 50/50 coco/perlite. Next run I'll be using 60/40 perlite/coco for even more oxygen to the root zone. I used 1" perlite on the bottom a couple runs ago but didn't have enough perlite this time but I'll be going back to that next run. I prefer the chunky perlite also. I noticed a couple people running straight coco had problems with their plants looking overwatered.

I won't be much help with the ppm...I had a toxicity of nitrogen this run so I'm still getting dialed in and coco and soil will be different...if you're interested I have my current nutrient profile broken down in my D-39 SCROG link in my sig in the first post. I run my pH @ 5.8 for flowering....but thats with coco/perlite...not soil

Hope that helps :wave:

JC

Last edited:
J

JackKerouac

We just picked up the quad-autopot system from Futuregarden for next year's outdoor.

Would more flushing or being more acidic prevent excess Nitrogen?

B

bongoie

new member here using autopots , not the hydro version but a compost {70%} perlite{30%} mix . cant post pics yet but will try an explain . they r awsome . anyways , think ma system is different from others mentioned as i have a valve in each individual tray . have the choice of either 7.5 litre or 15 litre square pots , it's a lazy system . the root controle fabric is very important to stop the roots reaching the smart valve . regarding leaks = i broke a connector and that drips , also hozelock connectors can leak , thinking there designed to b used under pressure , neither of those two leaks were a result of a crap autopot system .. anyways i will b kicking ma can about here and u will c bongo's autopot grow shortly . thanks for the interesting read folks , still experementing with this system . interesting how u prefer them for flower as i find they can get to wet . but a battery operated timed valve sorts that out . yea i go up my groom with a joint an wonder whot to do , usually end up playing with a fan controller or air pump :2cents: hope u can make sense of that

Last edited:

cheetos

hey jack. ive searched around the site and couldnt find a good answer for you, sorry.
And bongo. cant wait to see this. sounds cool.

B

bongoie

hi cheetos . will u advise = can i link ma grow diary from another site . as i have been putting up pics on the intimate workings of autopots , as nobody seems 2 b taking advantage of this system ,an those that do cant figure it out . i got them when working away from home over long periods , been using them a couple of years now , still experementing an learning , swore 2 myself i would never do a hydro but after reading up on coco i'm not so sure now . esp after gettin myself a PH EEC meter recently .and have more time now , had some disasters learning , but am on track for 2odd ounce a plant x 8 under a 600W in 7'5litre {2 gallon ish } pots . currently week 4 of 12/12 with liquorice orange crush , using HST methods and attempted FIM techniques that i learned here . once again hope i'm making sense to u all . if not just ask . cheers bongo

Last edited:
B

bongoie

ok so here's the deal http://www.autopot.co.uk/pdf/2008_BROCHURE_FINAL.pdf it shows how it all works . hoping to put up pics shortly . loving this system . i know for a fact u can walk away and leave it for over a week with no worries . letting this system do all the work , shame it dont raise the lights as well . auto lights i need . outdoor growers have a look at the aqua pot . i will post some more and get back 2u with pics of my Licorice Orange Crush X Hashplant crossed with G-13 . . thanks bongo

Last edited:
B

bongoie

now have posting pics sorted {hopefully} . liquorice orange crush @ 6 week 12/12 . grown under mixed 600W . currently burning MH+HPS over 8 plants , all in autopots . all ma pics r online i will retreive some of the system's working's , an post them here .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts