What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's hot right now?

J-Icky

If you like Wedding Cake, good for you. I found it boring, got it at the local pot shop.

Can’t say I’m the biggest fan of it, it’s just the hot strain in my area. To me it has a good smell and taste but has the same boring bland high all these new flavor of the day strains have. Most likely cause they are just crossed and recrossed and then back crossed to each other.

JockBudman

Can’t say I’m the biggest fan of it, it’s just the hot strain in my area. To me it has a good smell and taste but has the same boring bland high all these new flavor of the day strains have. Most likely cause they are just crossed and recrossed and then back crossed to each other.

Shnap - I tried some in the Dam the other year and it was meh. Heavy stone that came on strong with a bit of disconnect between mind and body but it faded fast and I was soon rolling up something else - namely Hawaiian haze from abraxas which was the number one smoke I got over there. So good I even tried to find the seeds they said they sell online but they appear to have stopped. I was even gonna get fems if need be, so that tells you how good I thought it was :laughing:

Anyway, I find most of these new school strains much of a muchness. They're bred for terps but even though I can smell different scents in weed, I struggle to taste it most of the time and anyway, I'm there for the high. Give me some tropical sativa scraggly looking ditch weed any day of the week - I even preferred the shitty mec in San Diego over the dispensary herb :dunno:

As for what's fire in the markets here, stardawg still has dominance with crosses popping up often. Plenty of "Cali" floating about too. I'll stick with my homegrown Panama for now though :tiphat:

HydroOrganicFla

Veteran
Shnap - I tried some in the Dam the other year and it was meh. Heavy stone that came on strong with a bit of disconnect between mind and body but it faded fast and I was soon rolling up something else - namely Hawaiian haze from abraxas which was the number one smoke I got over there. So good I even tried to find the seeds they said they sell online but they appear to have stopped. I was even gonna get fems if need be, so that tells you how good I thought it was :laughing:

Anyway, I find most of these new school strains much of a muchness. They're bred for terps but even though I can smell different scents in weed, I struggle to taste it most of the time and anyway, I'm there for the high. Give me some tropical sativa scraggly looking ditch weed any day of the week - I even preferred the shitty mec in San Diego over the dispensary herb :dunno:

As for what's fire in the markets here, stardawg still has dominance with crosses popping up often. Plenty of "Cali" floating about too. I'll stick with my homegrown Panama for now though :tiphat:

I'm glad you brought up the point of the new school strains lacking. I couldn't agree more. So many of the "flavors of the week" aren't even that good.

It's like when the whole "dessert" trend started with girl scout cookies. I heard all about this and wasn't impressed with it.

I miss the strains that just stink and get you where you want to be.

I feel like a lot of these strains are too genetically related to be bursting with terpenes and oil.

JockBudman

I'm glad you brought up the point of the new school strains lacking. I couldn't agree more. So many of the "flavors of the week" aren't even that good.

It's like when the whole "dessert" trend started with girl scout cookies. I heard all about this and wasn't impressed with it.

I miss the strains that just stink and get you where you want to be.

I feel like a lot of these strains are too genetically related to be bursting with terpenes and oil.

Cookies baffles me to be honest. It yields low, the high isn't that great and it's unstable and hermie prone. Seems to be mainly grown for the unique terp profile and flavour but then why not start with that base and work to lock it down through outcrossing before release?

I've smoked a fair few new school strains as my main plug was getting plenty of "Cali import" for a cheap price so I have given this stuff a go.

Blue zkittlez - meh
Grape slurpie - eh
Cookies - huh?
Wedding cake - bluh
Strawbanana something or other - actually tasted good but the high was still nothing special.
Stardawg - gives me the fear something awful and stinks so bad my neighbours complained.

Tbh I feel like the problem started before cookies with seedbanks working to pump out a new strain or two every few months meaning that breeding is now just pollen chucking with fem pollen because doing proper work to lock down and inbreed a reg line takes years.
It's then amplified by Instagram and online hype where a rock hard ball of plant matter called Tutti-frutti Banana Sundae will always look better and more attractive to the causal user than a scrappy string of calyxes from some old school tropical sativa.

It's even started to impact seedbanks I respected previously and its worrying in a way. Like if someone is pumping out three new hacks a year, are they still maintaining the old lines? Will they still carry those old lines in reg form for those who want that, or will they all go fem because the market demands it?

I think anyone who can should breed their own lines and f2 packs of regs to keep strains alive - that's how we'll make sure what's hot right now doesn't become what's the only thing available tomorrow.

On a less whiney note I'll say what's hot in my tent - Panama from Ace. Stressed to the moon and back being flowered over winter in a cold attic, root restricted, poor nutrient management etc. No hermies and an amazing, big smiles, energetic high from every pheno so far with a bit of low end on the Panama red leaners. Best high I've ever had I think, even better than female seed's grapefruit which was my favourite until now.

Plus they yield as well - even tortured plants gave me 20g each from a 2 litre pot so great potential for a decent run in 5litres. I'm waiting to see if there will be a 4/20 promo this year before stocking up on a pack or two to f2 next year. Long term I'll line breed as long as I have them to work towards the best high they can give.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Saw on craigslist deliverys of 15 a clone....

Wedding crashers chem og..sherbert...and from dark heart nurdery drops ...

I am working male pollen from chem 91 skva..reversed female

Doing a cross of Seedsman the white og and blue ice og as well next month.. heres the Seedsman gear..

picture.php

:tiphat: