What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What year was Indica used for hybrids in Mexico?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Comparing what we had back then to now isn't possible. There were 50 million fewer growers lol. It was very illegal. We were not selling our homegrown. No pure Afghans were being grown in my area until 1975-1978. Our homegrown came from seeds found in high quality imports.. A lot came from the war ending. There was far more poor quality weed than good.

There might have been a few seeds found in Hash. No one was talking about Indica. Cannabis is a cultigen, in the sense of a crop for which there is no known wild ancestor.
I think this can be read here ?.

Last edited:

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
This old dinosaur just doesn't understand all the rage these days about land races and how they're the best smoke, most versatile cannabis, etc.

I have never smoked or seen any land race cannabis, so I'm talking out of complete ignorance here and that's rare for me, but my own, deeply flawed common sense tells me I would rather have cannabis that has been grown, cultivated, developed, and yes loved by human beings, for the very specific purpose of getting high, than wild, unattended cannabis that's growing in a ditch.
Adventure. That is my point.
Zero problem if think differently, since you understand the power of the weed you love.
Brother @funkyhorse gave me access to some articles very important to my understanding about the weed I've been smoking for years. Felt in love by the history.

I could by another pack of this lovely regular Sensi Seeds Afghani #1 and try to find a best pheno in it, but for matter of choice I will spend my time trying to find the best pheno in the bagseeds I got from my local weed.

Because it's wild stuff. I will have to do all the workings of selection using a wild plant, growing with no idea of what I'll find. Studying history, geography, migration flows and several other aspects beyond botanic or genetics. I believe that I have a lot more to discover than if I just buy more sensi seeds and try to breed over it. Because no one has made this work for the last 15 years using this plant.

Landraces are gone. We still have wild plants.

Just about the ride. In the end, I wanna get safe. Discovering the high I'm more comfortable with.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:biggrin:

droga-chapo-kmBD-U120816291913mbE-1248x770@El Comercio.jpg

Rgd

Veteran
This old dinosaur just doesn't understand all the rage these days about land races and how they're the best smoke, most versatile cannabis, etc.

I have never smoked or seen any land race cannabis, so I'm talking out of complete ignorance here and that's rare for me, but my own,
it has to do with lack of sedation..

and uplifting mental clarity ,energy as opposed to couchlocky

mudballs

Could be as early 20th century. Found some research from 1901 where Indian genetics were grown in Mexico.
Well, they've been using hemp for ropes on sailing vessels all the way back to 16th century on the Iberian Pennisula when Cortez slammed into Mexico...so it was undoubtedly introduced very very early, but the OP is about when it was first used in hybrid mating purposely for distribution...I'm still of the mindset mid to late 70's.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Well, they've been using hemp for ropes on sailing vessels all the way back to 16th century on the Iberian Pennisula when Cortez slammed into Mexico...so it was undoubtedly introduced very very early, but the OP is about when it was first used in hybrid mating purposely for distribution...I'm still of the mindset mid to late 70's.
Parke Davis had seed collectors at the time. Hemp doesn't do very well in areas like in Mexico, only Chile did very well. BOEL guys early 70s with genetics from Afghanistan and Lebanon.

CharlesU Farley

Gotta ask..what is BOEL plz?
The Brotherhood of Eternal Love. Probably responsible for smuggling in the vast majority of hash that made it to the US in the '60s and '70s. They were a group of surfers, gangsters, and punks who were responsible for the most mass distribution of LSD in the entire world, Orange Sunshine.

Oh, and they invented and distributed Maui Wowie as well.

The leader of that group, John Griggs along with Owsley Stanley, are the ones responsible for the LSD revolution in America, and that's a fact.

BOEL

I can point you to a source if you want it free if, you're interested.

mudballs

No that post stands scrutiny by itself. I just never seen the acronym enough to know it on sight. Thnx

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Free LSD I'm in lol.

Recessive traits are why I want Landrace genetics.. Using genetics that has already been worked makes it harder to find the traits you're after.. I don't know what others did. It's much harder to reverse what was done. I prefer to use genetics that are not worked or very little. Landrace genetics fit perfectly. 🔥

CharlesU Farley

Free LSD I'm in lol.

Recessive traits are why I want Landrace genetics.. Using genetics that has already been worked makes it harder to find the traits you're after.. I don't know what others did. It's much harder to reverse what was done. I prefer to use genetics that are not worked or very little. Landrace genetics fit perfectly. 🔥
Thanks for helping me understand! I can understand why cannabis developers who know enough about the plant to actually look for specific traits that haven't been fucked up by somebody else.

But some of these Millennial pollen chuckers? I'm just not sure they would even know how to _identify_ a specific trait, must less try to reproduce it, and we won't even get into standardization. ;)

I think that's why I've got such a hard-on for Northern Lights. It was developed by and for Vietnam vets for PTSD. I've got PTSD and have been working on Sensi's late 90s NL release and making some modifications of my own.

This was taken today, as you can tell, it doesn't have the classic Christmas tree structure of your typical NL varietal:

21e13806-4a4c-4ac8-b99a-0b80017d9cec-1_all_2814.jpg

CharlesU Farley

Tom Hill gave me 20 years ago a few seeds of Deep Chunk x Mexican ...BLD x NLD
I've been diving deep into old threads here on ICM and this guy might have been an asshole and got banned, but he's one of the few that I think that truly understands cannabis genetics and recessive traits and at least he gave credit to Vic High in several posts that I read.

Sorry he was such a asshole and got banned. I've found I learn more from brilliant assholes than I do from ignorant nice people. :)

Last edited: