What's new

What year in 1900s was America at it's finest

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
$10k a semester is a crime.

I love how our President railed against healthcare cost increases, but blatenlty looked past the cost of higher education. Hell, he even included college funding in his healthcare fiasco.

I graduated college in '92 and paid $3k that year. Today, the same uni wants $11k. Almost a 300% increase in 19 years. I know my healthcare costs didn't increase 300% in that same time span.

Higher education is a broken system.

mad librettist

Veteran
the ancient greeks used the same name for leisure and education (legos).

there is no crime, just an unrealistic belief in the power of education to guarantee social and economic advancement for all. As more people want a university degree, the price goes up and the value goes down.

now a university degree is worth the same as a high school degree in the 50's, yet it costs as much as a dwelling.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran

I love how our President railed against healthcare cost increases, but blatenlty looked past the cost of higher education. Hell, he even included college funding in his healthcare fiasco.

I graduated college in '92 and paid $3k that year. Today, the same uni wants $11k. Almost a 300% increase in 19 years. I know my healthcare costs didn't increase 300% in that same time span.

How could Obama look past something he includes? I hate high tuition myself. The idea of universities for profit strikes me as counter productive in the long term, just like healthcare for profit. I know I'm headed away from your idea of management so I'll give you a break.:D

Glad to hear your healthcare costs haven't exceeded your practical means. You're fortunate in that respect. But if I'm not mistaken, nothing has exceeded the bottom line of heath care costs.

IMO, the profit motive, coupled with a system that's good for the tab breeds sticky fingers in some health care management practices. Making bank on universally vital needs seems a bit opportunistic.

A group of French elite recently signed a petition for higher taxes. They all signed a statement recognizing their wealth as benefiting from the state, not as individual right. The EU might not be in the greatest economic shape right now but Germany's economy is expanding. Instead of laying off workers to temporarily increase productivity and market share, they retain workers so their workforce is intact when commerce expands.

Alright, got off on a tear. I'll pipe down now.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
we've seen many and will again.......the early 60's seemed fun
I was born in 68 and remember my 1st real experience with american economics was sitting in the back seat of my moms (god rest her soul) datsun for 3 hrs waiting in a line to get gas thanks to nixon/carter.......late 70's was a bit different vibe all the cocaine and disco and america was developing a more "in your face , Big" kind of world stage persona........The 80's was dedicated to celebrating the Bigness and people were happy and the economy was thriving the early 90's things changed a bit the attitude was more "it's all been lies lies lies" wall street was suffering as lots of the late 80's wcc's were facing their judges and jury's and we the people were not spending .....Late 90's Clinton restored our sense of fun and helped our economy thrive once again.........

9 11

a horrible horrible horrible day

times they are a changing once again our economy is spiriling out of control and we are building a debt in the hundreds of billions supporting a war that we are not sure is ours to fight........ There has been no economic growth only decline and the mood is somber........

We the people.........these words mean something to me.......
How we feel the economy feels.........
We the people are indeed facing dark times...........
But as history has shown us time and time again It is we the people who will restore grace and honor to our beautiful lady America......and again America's economy will thrive.......I dont know when or how long it will take but we the people are so much more than words........We are the people the collective conscience of america we are smart we are strong and we are proud..............we are the people We the people who will turn this ship around..........

Word

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Good thread. Some of us will soon be old enough to sit at McDonald's every morning and really solve the world's problems. We might get in the occasional food fight but that kinda sounds like fun.

Then we could all ride our Hoverounds out to the old-fart van and puff a spliff before we go back to the senior center for dominoes and more problem solving.

H

h^2 O

oh it was MUCH more than that. Want me to blow your minds guys????? Here's from the admissions office of my college for 2011-2012
"Cost of Attendance for 2011 – 2012
Financial aid is awarded to help with all of these expenses, including an additional standard allowance for travel expenses.

Tuition $36,305
Health Services Fee $1,186
Student Services Fee $2,360
Room $7,811
Board $4,990
Subtotal
$52,652
Estimated Personal Expenses $3,348
Estimated Travel Costs $0-$4,200
Total billed and unbilled costs $56,000 - $60,200

In addition, health insurance coverage is required at a cost of $1,834 unless the student is covered under the family's health plan."

That's 30k a semester my friends. Pretty sick huh? Luckily there's all kinds of scholorships and shit, graduated only owing like 2k. BUT and BIG but, I was taking out loans every semester to the tune of 5k for various expenses...mostly stupid shit and partying. THose loans come out to 30k. I'm currently working to get them waived.

H

h^2 O

So it basically costs a quarter million to get your bachelor's. Crazy. I guess I'm worth a quarter million....or rather my brain is.

joeuser

Really? Blame the black folks?
You are what you are, aren't you?

You took it all wrong...

I blame the whites...the blacks had no say in things. They're pretty much "just along for the ride". It was the "in general" dumbing down and quotas to fit in EVERYONE...remember, women were "freed" too.

Seriously...it worked so well for a million years...a family with the man working and the woman at home raising and teaching the children. After the civil rights movement...it ALL changed. The family want away so the wife could go to work so they could pay for all their toys and luxuries.

Men and women each have separate roles to play in life. Society has artificially destroyed what nature intended. We're paying the price for that now. If you weren't around 50 years ago...you don't know how good it was.

Higher education is a money making, brain washing scam.

So it basically costs a quarter million to get your bachelor's. Crazy. I guess I'm worth a quarter million....or rather my brain is.

It's ALL about the money! They get what the market will bear.

Welcome to the world of being a "debt slave". People worried about paying their (non dischargeable) don't cause many problems...they're too busy working to pay the bills.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
the blacks and the whites

in this millennium can we do as they do in computer science and add a few dimensions to things and compute in arrays

stark polarity is so primitive

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
minority groups ruined america?

human rights, your either born with them or not?

tell me exactly how people come up with this again?

just curious?

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
Flight-Attendants-of-the-70s-the-70s-377003_374_504.jpg

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
if you want to distil the most base cause from the hyperbole

the variables that contributed to decline in America is simple

if your old enough to remember know wwII vets and that era you would know America rose and prospered when the people were driver by the spirit of democracy opposed to the spirit of capitalism

we got big fat lazy greedy and apathetic as a collective and are paying the price

blame game starts at home unless your not american

and while im not always proud of what America stands for im not ashamed to admit who I am and try to change that image in my lifetime by how i behave

opposing corruption en mass without purpose is simply splitting the flock of sheep

a big part of making the world what you want it to be is being what you want to see in the world and sharing it with others

and it works, is a real phenomenon

L

longearedfriend

Flight-Attendants-of-the-70s-the-70s-377003_374_504.jpg

very nice thanks for sharing :)

but to answer the question

when was america at it's finest, I would say.. never

I believe incredible things can happen in america in the future

Latest posts

Latest posts