What's new

What would you do if I gave you $150,000?

Today on Yahoo's home page, a couple (excuse me = two idiots) in NYC decided to buy a small apartment.

The apartment was SO small in fact, that it was actually the tiniest apartment available. It is exactly 154 sq feet.

The couple (idiots) named Zaarath and Christopher Prokop, paid $150,000 for the apartment and also decided to bring their two cats with them. Making it a family of 4.

The link is below, I can't believe people are this stupid. Never ceases to amaze me.....

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...ple_makes_tight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP

What would you have done with the money my friends?

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
$150,000, I would buy up some speculative real estate and wait for the market to take a full turn. I would get more for my money than 156 square foot. $1000 per square foot, cmon, who you going to impress with your 150,000 closet. I am looking at land right now, in the near future every dollar I have is going towards buying lots and lots of land. I will buy a piece near other large pieces that may one day be for sale, I want an old school bonanza ranch thats all mine!

Catharsis

I'd give half to my mother and save the rest.

The truly insane bit about that apartment isn't the purchase price or square footage, it's that they have to pay a $700/mo maintenance fee. I'd have bargained on that bit quite heavily. There is no way that tiny apartment requires anywhere near that much maintenance in a month. Fuck that bullshit.

Manhattan is cool, but sane people live elsewhere and ride the subway in if they like.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
#1 Tell welfare to kiss my arse

#2 Get a REAL doctor for my autistic son and a cannabis recommendation for him

#3 Buy the bare-ass minimum REAL equipment and quit pissing around with this no-budget, DIY nightmare I've been tortured with for the past year and a half.

#4 Invest the remainder into a small home-based business that the wife and I can run together.

Stay Safe!

They paid for it out of their own money and they said:
"This is perfect for us. We love it." 'Nuff said, right?
They're the idiots? Or is it those that feel the place to judge are?

Thing is, with NYC, you just need a place to crash. The city's your living room anyway. Good on them.

Hovz

I would buy a chevy and burn rubber all down the block, also bring democracy to Cuba.

ganjapool

man my friend bought a 2 story. 3 bedroom house with a 2 car garage for 130,000. They should move down to Atlanta!

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I would knock out a huge chunk of house payoff and be able to work a bit less and spend time with my family a bit more.
There is no way that I would pay that kind of money for that amount of square footage...and there is no way I'd pay the insane maintenance fees...$8400/yr?!?
But if they're happy..good for them. I think they're crazy for living in nyc anyway.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

nice crib & only $700 per mo for maintenance is cheap.......
A really diverse neighborhood and of course everything being
very nearby, but I wouldn't have paid more than 90-95K for it.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran

convinced my wife to retire too, 80k or so would pretty much top off the accounts to very comfortable levels. I dumped everything into bonds before the yield on them tanked so the accounts didn't take much of a pounding in the last two years or so.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
$150,000
$90,000- I'd pay the last payment on my home, breathe a sigh of relief
--------
$60,000
$10,000- replace a couple of the old vehicles with slightly less older vehicles
---------
$50,000
$10,000- send my wife and I to the dentist
---------
$40,000
$5000- take my wife and folks to Hawaii
---------
$35,000- Put this away(maybe in gold?), for a emergency or kids collage, what ever happens first.

$150,000
$90,000- I'd pay the last payment on my home, breathe a sigh of relief
--------
$60,000
$10,000- replace a couple of the old vehicles with slightly less older vehicles
---------
$50,000
$10,000- send my wife and I to the dentist
---------
$40,000
$5000- take my wife and folks to Hawaii
---------
$35,000- Put this away(maybe in gold?), for a emergency or kids collage, what ever happens first.

Nice breakdown!! I like this