What's new

What would be the best way to name a new strain?

Snoopster

Veteran
What inspired the name "Green Crack"?

Possibly a severe blow to the head?
Maybe childhood brain trauma?
Inbreeding?
Douchieness?

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Snoopster said:
What inspired the name "Green Crack"?

The desire to make a ton of money. Crack is known for its addictiveness. So comparing your herb to crack implies that it is very potent.

Snoopster

Veteran
The desire to make a ton of money. Crack is known for its addictiveness. So comparing your herb to crack implies that it is very potent.

A stupid joke made by stupid people who have no idea what crack is like.
"This cake is like crack." giggle giggle

"This cake is nothing like crack. In 15 minutes I doubt you'll want to suck a dick for another piece."

Comparing herb to crack is playing off a stupid joke to begin with.

I always liked the (mother)x(father) strain name, or a clever variation on that. The made up names always remind me of the bullshit names dealers give their generic strains to pump the price up. "Nepalese Virgin Pubes". Really???

Grobot2010

I've opted to use the "standard mode" and truncate the names of the male and female strain name as needed and always use the convention of (female strain name) x (male strain name). Unless I am working with an open pollenated field with multiple strains, males and females, then I'll use the description that best typifies the strain's smoke and flavour or whatever is the most impressive attribute of the resulting hybrids in making up a new strain name.

Farm Hero

A friend came up with a great name, he just needs the plant, hahahaha.

I try to keep some of the lineage in the name and try to respect the (female x male) order in the description...

ie: Moon Cheese (UK Cheese x Brazilian Sativa)

I think to some extent some breeders don't want to name the strain with the exact lineage for fear that someone could recreate it, but also it makes the name really long.

I.e. you'll never see a strain listed as (Greenhouse Feminized Skunk#1 x Nirvana Maple Indica Male) Male X (Dutch Passion Durban Poison Female x TH Seeds Mendocino Madness Male) Female.

I like idea of using a name which has some lineage but a descriptor to the strain as well. But if you're a breeder just put KUSH or OG after the name and you'll sell plenty. ;)

Max Headroom

Veteran
Comparing herb to crack is playing off a stupid joke to begin with.

yeah, i totally agree. it's one of the stupidest strain names ever...
i also dislike AK-47, MK-ULTRA, LSD, Opium, etc...

i'm a compulsive "namer", but since i'm a total grow-baby (years removed from doing crosses) i name each new volcano bag i put up and write on it with magic marker. (HindenBud, CloudStorage, Head Zeppelin, The Fog of Peace, etc....) :D

i think most seedcompanies are pretty awful at naming their strains. i could do much better. (arrogance!) :tiphat:

but preferably to pure brand names, some sort of lineage should be recognizable from the name.

Littleleaf

Veteran
I would think that the name should never be descibed with the words like Killer,wreck or any word that descibed the plant as being dangerous or deadly.

It's supposed to be Good Shit..rite:smoke out:

fungzyme

I would think that the name should never be descibed with the words like Killer,wreck or any word that descibed the plant as being dangerous or deadly.

It's supposed to be Good Shit..rite:smoke out:
Well then, what about the word 'shit'? Doesn't exactly bring up images of love and happiness...

I hate the names 'green crack' and 'AK47' for weed, but words like 'wreck' (and 'shit' for that matter) are commonly accepted slang by most people.

I also think 'killing fields' is a bizarre name for cannabis, IMO.