What's new

what were bongs like way back when?

Tyson53

Back in the day some bongs were made of just bamboo...lol...till they cracked...some of plastic pipe....ceramic...lab glass...there was no real heady glass back then...we use to make a bong from artillery cases in Nam...or gas masks...

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
You know for the life of me I never got this thread. It's only a couple of years old...and not dissing the OP, but come on...carbs are absolutlely the way to go. Dammit why ruin a good thing? Are you fucking serious? Let's add more parts that we don't need, and charge more money. Are we getting high here or aren't we? I don't need a double shower head, behind the back, dogshit smelling 14mm bowl doozit to get my mind right.
Yeah all this stuff might make the smoke smoother and look really cool...it does look cool. But I think the end result is the same. So I just have a pipe.

shithawk420

Veteran
Well mine is all glass on glass,has a carb,and can use the carb or not.all about preference.I need a diffuser cuase I choke easy and a good diffuser can really make a difference

fulltimehuman

There was 'things for your head' downtown so never a shortage of bamboo, acrylic, and the beloved drilled out glass vase bongs. And thank allah, buddah, krishna, jesus, kali and jehova
and all the rest that we don't have to use those aluminum screw-in bowls and stems! God they tasted bad. And back in the day, changing bong water was UNHEARD of! Oh the stories of getting doused with the caustic bong water by accident or on purpose at a friday night party etc. Looking in and finding it actually Moldy, could that have been contributing to the bronchitis going around that winter? I prefer glass so much more...even though I break more pieces than my neighborhood recycling center breaks bottles...another story for another thread.

Gry

Veteran
First bong I saw was in 1967 and it was as I got off a boat in the port of Hong Kong. I was 10 at the time and saw this fellow squatting on his haunches and doing bong hits with a regular sized bamboo bong . I asked my mother what it was we were seeing and her response was classic mom " he is consuming a drug to relieve his hunger." I still recall the scene like yesterday. Pretty neat and exotic introduction.

My favourite back as soon as it came out mid 70s, was a toker II. Can't find them anymore, so I deal with knock offs that are as close as I can find them. I used to smoke the old tokemasters, but the plastic would craze on them as soon as I hit them with alcohol to clean them- it was that which sold me on the original glass tokers. I was really happy when they came out with the baseball sized toker II. It was and to my way of thinking, still is about the perfect size in terms of comfort and air displacement. I wish to find someone that could make me a couple of them out of really thick glass. IF I had two of them, that just might help me out with the murphy factor. I would love to be able to say that the cats are how they are broken, but that just would not be true.
I guess I would add, that when I first saw bongs in the US, it was like maybe 1972. The shop was called the "The Bong Works" . Dupont Circle area of DC. They were all homemade, no brand names yet. By 73 or 4, the market just exploded - us bongs, graffix, tokemaster etc

I remember the 6 ft pvc steamroller, the goldshalger water bong, the mason jar bong, the coconut bong, the bamboo, bong, the soda bottle bong, the 5 gal bucket gravity bong. but my favorite although not a bong was the simple deer antler pipe.

There was 'things for your head' downtown so never a shortage of bamboo, acrylic, and the beloved drilled out glass vase bongs. And thank allah, buddah, krishna, jesus, kali and jehova
and all the rest that we don't have to use those aluminum screw-in bowls and stems! God they tasted bad. And back in the day, changing bong water was UNHEARD of! Oh the stories of getting doused with the caustic bong water by accident or on purpose at a friday night party etc. Looking in and finding it actually Moldy, could that have been contributing to the bronchitis going around that winter? I prefer glass so much more...even though I break more pieces than my neighborhood recycling center breaks bottles...another story for another thread.

This just inspired me to clean my glass bong.

...had no idea the glass was clear :noway:

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I guess I would add, that when I first saw bongs in the US, it was like maybe 1972. The shop was called the "The Bong Works" . Dupont Circle area of DC. They were all homemade, no brand names yet. By 73 or 4, the market just exploded - us bongs, graffix, tokemaster etc

You went there.... lol... I was at Ft McNair shortly thereafter.

Dam flashbacks anyway. :tiphat:

"TOGS" (The Old Guard Sucks), was our motto.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
3Liter soda bottle n a 5 gal bucket of water.... i wish i still had the lungs for them gravity bong rips....

Ilovelamp

Slide for original graphics

Slide for original graphics

Anyone know what will fit this water pipe? My friend gave it to me without a stem. where can I get one that will fit? I measured the female end at 9mm. 9mm male stems online say they actually fit a 12mm female.
image.jpg

madnsix6

I still have an original G. Graphics!

I still have an original G. Graphics!

I bought my bong at Rolling Stone Records, right outside Chicago.I still have the main body of the bong and the use and care sheet. The stem basically distintegrated after 35 odd years of use. I had to replace that to keep using it. Took it to a local shop and they were afraid to touch it for fear of wrecking it, but they all came out to hold it and talk about it! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20150406_164957_803.jpg
    IMG_20150406_164957_803.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20150406_165141_446.jpg
    IMG_20150406_165141_446.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 53

madnsix6

That looks a lot like mine, i got replacement stem at my local head shop.(see post below yours).

Ooops, that posted to mine not ilovelamps!

Arrgh, tried to reply, see post below yours....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I found a graphics bong plus a bunch of other paraphernalia in a garbage bag, set out for trash pickup. I was riding by on my bicycle, and saw that red tube sticking out, and knew it could only be one thing.

That was my main bong for the next few years, and there was even a little brick shake in a film canister to toast my good fortune! Good times!

X

xavier7995

The early 90's were all about the acrylic pipes. The more chambers and such the better. Super wide assortment of shapes and sizes, 5+ feet long was a status thing. I would occasionally come across the ceramic ones, generally that was the older crowd that had those, and they sure were a pleasant smoke.

Never saw anything made of glass commercially that was of any real size until 2000-ish. Pre that, we made all sorts of apparatus' out of any sort of container we could find. The bees knees was if you could get a rubber stopper that had a downstem/pull tube and a hose to hit from that you could just stick into different bottles. Then the jerome baker style just exploded. I still have a bong from 2001 from some place called shivadas glass.

X

xavier7995

I don't think of steamrollers and the like as bongs. To me, a bong has to have the ability for the smoke to pass through water.

My folks caught me with a comically oversized bong once. Homemade....10-20 chambers, stretched out my window and around the roof on the garage before having he chamber with the bowl attached swing back around so it could be operated by one person. It was stupidly large and really hard to use. The folks were like...well....thats creative and all, but it looks like a meth lab spread across the roof so take it apart.

Gry

Veteran
First time I saw a bong was near a boat terminal in Kowloon back in 1967. There was a small man with no shirt who was squatting on his heels and doing single hits that he was lighting with a long sliver of bamboo that he had in tiny fire burning in front of him. Bamboo bong, between a foot and maybe 18 inches long. He had a little tea pot on the fire, and looked like he had been there a long time, except that he had no chair.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
In the late 80's in my area, the bong of choice was the Tokemaster.

I just googled the fuck out of it, but only found one site that has a pic.

http://www.fireflyexoticwear.com/Tobacco-Master-Water-Pipe-Tobacco-Master-Water-Pipe.htm

It's basically a straight, clear, thick acrylic tube, with an acrylic stem, brass fittings, and a brass bowl with shotgun. I had a 12", but the 18" was the perfect size IMO, as you could get a freaking ginormous hit off of that mofo.

Glass was NOT popular with us back then. Pretty much EVERY glass bong any of us ever had would be BROKEN eventually due to...."party incidents".

The Tokemaster hit much better than the cheapo thin plastic bongs, and the Tokemaster was TOUGH. You could beat somebody to death with that damn thing, and we broke like maybe ONE stem.

Some time in the 80's, the company changed their name from Tokemaster to "Tobaccomaster", probably due to some legal bullshit. Still, a good bong I really enjoyed hitting.

A lot of good times with those bongs.
:dance013:

Yes TokeMaster was the best quality, clear, sturdy, acrylic ,great product. They are still in stock in some rural stores. But the owners want crazy price because they are in original packaging. That was a beautiful high quality piece.
http://blogs.rollcall.com/after-dark/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2015/01/Jimmy.jpeg

After TM had distribution issues GraphiX became the norm, they were thick and well made. Always had to order extra screens and bowls cause they broke if dropped. Loved all of them. Smoked my first 1992 NL#5 hit out of a clean GraphiX filled with ice cubes and it was nirvana. Never forget that day!

Peace

Last edited: