What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What was the reason you started to grow

Littleleaf

Veteran
Because its such a BEAUTIFUL plant and I can't stand being told I can't do something.

I grew my first plant when I was 10 in 1976. Found my stepbrothers stash (why were we so dumb to hide sht in the sock drawer I'll never know... parents always found it) It was full of striped seeds. Being a cityfied farm boy (spent every summer on grandparents farm) I wondered what this seed would grow into. Planted it in a terracotta pot and put it into my bedroom window. Once I seen the first serrated 5 fingered leaf. I was hooked. It made it till it got about a foot tall and that's when old stepmom found it. Got my @ss beat, 1st bust....

At that time I'd haven't even smoked pot. That was 4 years later and had moved to the country. Columbian gold bud. Now I knew what's what. Got seeds from friends and tried to grow them out across the road in a tree grove. Dad watched me carrying water to them. He found them, was beaten again to an inch of my life. 2nd bust... Think that would stop me? Hell no. It just took a few years to finally get a grow completed. Didn't get busted growing but with the harvest. Bust 3 10 years on paper.

Bust 4 Attempted growing (long story) well that one almost got me life (25 years) but $70,000.oo + The best lawyer, another 10 years on paper.

Now I'm legal med grower. (Used it to get off pain pills. That sht WILL kill you. ) I still think its the most beautiful plant in my garden. I'm over my numbers by a factor of 100 but I don't give a sht. Come get me and pry it from my dead hands........

rescued clones.jpg

Sweatloaf

The first attempt was at 13 that summer. I'd started smoking some months earlier. I was a scientifically minded kid and planted some seeds in the woods. They grew to small seedlings and if I recall, something, perhaps a deer, ate them. I wanted to grow the magic beans....

The reason I tried again (and succeeded) could be summed up in one word: Agency. I wanted to have agency.

Agency: Agency is
the sense of control that you feel in your life, your capacity to influence your own thoughts and behavior, and have faith in your ability to handle a wide range of tasks and situations. Your sense of agency helps you to be psychologically stable, yet flexible in the face of conflict or change.

Freedom. Autonomy.