What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What was the reason you started to grow

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
What was the reason you started to grow

My goal in growing my own was to replace having to see that guy. Every time I spent my hard earned money on this plant. I had the feeling that maybe it was something I shouldn’t do. Where when you grow it for yourself, you have abundance. You don’t have to think of it that way. It’s not like it’s taking your resources from you. It’s giving to your life.

Artistick Seeds

The first time it was out of curiosity. I had found some seeds in the Swiss outdoors, so I wanted to try. The second time, it was because I was convinced that it was the best solution to be independent of traditional supply circuits, and not have to cross the border with illegal stuff. The following times, it was because passion had won over me...

puffin fresh

ICMag Donor
Firstly I started with a few seeds outside at 14 or 15 years old after watching my uncles stash plants in the bush everywhere and got busted by friends of the family almost immediately and had to rip them out. :( . After this it was like a fire was lit under me and I was going to successfully complete a grow no matter the cost. Once I got a real taste, passion took over and 25 or so years later I’m still in love with the plant…

goingrey

First I was like I'm gonna grow in a computer case like I had seen some do online. So I emptied out one and set it up with a CFL on top. And even though in the photos online it had seemed like a sensible solution, actually seeing it in person it was just ridiculous and I was like fuck this.

Then I bought a couple CFLs more and a portable closet, a fabric one, and a computer fan for the exhaust (coincidentally recently one had been made redundant :D). This one I actually set up a grow in and started things up. But it was kinda worrying safety-wise and didn't run it long before I figured I'd rather get busted for ordering proper equipment online than burned to the ground by some pathetic jerryr rig. So I ordered a 250W HPS and Homebox S and we were off to the races. Pretty soon that setup started feeling small too and turned into the veg tent...

Cheech87

I started to grow because the weed was more and more stretched with chemicals the so-called haze was really bad.
In the past people still had honor and pride to sell good weed today everyone shits on it mainly good money and the customers are shat on so in my area it's like that or you have to pay 15- 20 euros for a gram and then it's very hard to find.
Then i started growing and was free of all the shit and always had very good weed and a clean high.😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️

goingrey

Yeah the "chemicals" in street weed was another reason I started.

For the longest I grew in soil with Bio Bizz nutes exclusively.

Considered myself damn near Captain Planet himself for being so natty and organic...

Only more recently it dawned upon me that what I was actually doing was contributing to the destruction of our wetlands by having them dig up swamps and ship them to me in thick plastic bags, pre-fertilized with, guess what, petrochemical fertilizers. :D

Peacefrog

Veteran
I was hooked after my first toke and I wanted to grow after finding my first seed. I suffered through finding connections and making do with what was available for 20 years. I'm a lifelong pothead with an insatiable appetite for ganja. I've wanted to grow since I understood that I could turn those seeds into my own herb. I just had to wait for the opportunity to do it reasonably safely. The first time I got "baked" off my own weed was magical.

I started growing because it was the logical progression in my understanding of who I am and what makes me happy.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Curiosity.

My grow journey started with some old beans I had.

Micro style suited my condition, and with the help of icmag and members
too numerous to mention, propelled me to heights I hadn't imagined possible
when I popped those first beans.

I grow because I can.

Great thread!

Ca++

not buying weed is like being paid to grow :)

Money wanted to save some
Our laws consider growing to stop buying, as a financial gain.

I just wanted to. Getting something to smoke was a priority, but I wasn't blind to the money it might also make me, one day. I practiced with hemp to start with. Knowing it was good for neither, but I just wanted to grow some. To see it, and because I'm habitually naughty. I just have to have a bit of naughty in my life, or I'm living the same dull life as everyone else.
I really don't want it legalised here. I don't think growers realise what that means for them.

So... because I'm naughty.

Mortal Skin

I was 16,1996. mom drove my younger brother and me home and found a field beside the road. she stopped and told us that us that this is cannabis, for fibre and seeds. we walked into it.
i saw this plant for the first time and fall in love for it. the 3m tallness, the shape of leaves, the smell. the sunlight through the leaves and the whole moment in this field with mom and brother was intoxicatious and one of my humblest memory with my family.

at home i searched in dictionary about it. there was no internet or wiki around that time. all i heard about it from school was that it is a bad drug for loosers and its illegal.

at evening I drove back on my bicycle to the field and grabbed a small plant and brought home. I felt so criminal and thug:) I was not only just a boy anymore :D.
it died on my window, was to less light.

so i bought my first seeds. the shopguy gave me
‘Super Thai x Skunk‘ from H.Q. Seeds.
Of course mom was not happy and afraid of being busted, and that i become a H-addict cock sucker like TV told…
i did know nothing about H or other drugs. I just wanted this plant!

In autumn i had 2 beautyful males that i caressed and loved. it was a initiation for life, that i plant a seed and then there comes out life. i water them and then they grow, and that really fast, wow. didnt know sativas grow you to monsters :D i loved it. learned alot about life from this small experience.
harvested the leaves and brought to my buddys, that had a very good placebo-time with it.

the next summer i bought other seeds i dont remember and had 2 females on balconys full sun. good harvest, no knowledge about drying, curing or even smoking. but i was in love and independent from black market.

years later switched to indoor with HPS 250 Watts in my small closet. quality and knowledge increased.
realized early, as a grower, you are different to just a Muggle user, in society eyes. and better keep your mouth closed.

I grew up to a happy, wiser, and successful „looser„ and still love this magic Deva as on the first sunny family-day back in 1996.
cheers.

ps: greetings to mom. its all your fault ;D you showed me Shiva

RPH

It was around 2006 I discovered the Mills Pride C-24 cabinett thread on ICMAG, such amazing detailed DIY info gave me confidence to try!
I purchased two c-24 cabinetts and placed them side by side in my garage. I learned so much from trying out different configurations and lighting scenarios, always trying to improve things. Never quite happy.
Then tents became popular thank God! So much easier to set up and nothing to figure out!
When I started growing my kids were young and money was tight but ICMAG made things possible for me to grow. (So much DIY info), But still no matter how much i spend on equipment to grow its WAY cheaper
and WAY better than any other option!
And now you hear they are putting fentanyl on cannabis...WTF!!!!

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Early 2000, first for money saving, then for the effect on my body and mind, then weed became medicine, then because I thought I knew what I was smoking, then because of the quality of organic grown stuff has.

I was like that guy in the movie Saving Grace trying to grow cannabis in the woods near my house, hiding from everything, including the sun, and it always went wrong.

In the year 2008 got Dutch Seeds for the first time, White Widow and Northern Lights from Nirvana and planted them in the attic as my first indoor grow. Later had a grow with two homies and so on.