What's new

what to put on the bottom of pots for Drainage?

NUG-JUG

if you read\skim this whole thread you'll realize that putting things to help drainage is not a good thing to do. just keep the same medium the whole way through. if you want proof here it is..

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda ...ural Myths_files/Myths/Container drainage.pdf

"This is just one of those myths that refuses to die, regardless of solid scientific evidence to the contrary!
Nearly every book or web site on container gardening recommends placing coarse material at the bottom
of containers for drainage"

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, it's a bit late to weigh in with the majority, but I say nothing on the bottom as well. Nice quote;" perpetuated by the likes of E.Rosenthall and G.Cervantes!" Once again ICMAG comes through with exposing the cannabis myths.

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
well I'm putting nothing at the bottom now.

And I have to say, everytime I move a pot, pick it up or set it down, soil comes out the drainage holes.

I hate that.

I would put some type of drainage coaster beneath the pot, but my space is crammed as it is.

I wish I had put some old underwear or a holy sock down there.

pseudopod

Used to try perlite at the bottom of my pots, but I realized my problem was more about crappy soil and pots. I recommend beautiful substrate and pots with good drainage, it's what's worked for me.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
If you have a healthy root system...they will grow deep into the pot and hold the soil mix from coming out the holes. There will always be a little that does manage to fall out,but overall if you judge the size of your pots with the size of your plants and the strain....you can get those roots to utilize all that space in a complete cycle with not a lot of mess. Indoor pots and organic soil...it's gonna' get a little dirty.