What's new

What to get for measuring pH?

idea

when i first started i went midrange cheap and brought 2 milwaukee meters (one for ph and the other for tds).

they both broke within a few months. every milwaukee meter that i have used has broken way too early and i am religious about maintainence, calibration, etc.

i tried a truncheon meter but it didn't work out of the box so i returned it.

since then i have had much better luck with hanna. right now i am using a hanna hi-9813 and i love it.

then again i have done fine with the cheap chemical tests in a pinch. i just like to know exactly what the ph is. personally i won't buy another cheap meter because it is a false economy because they seem to break quick and i have to get another. i would rather shell out the cash and get one that is more likely to last.

ymmv

aligee

Veteran
Yeah the good 'ol droper kit seems to be just as good if not better than these meters i just bought a hanna checker ph only tester an i just dont have time for all these calibration and storage Solutions ive had it bout a week and into the closet it goes gonna keep use my drop kit

A

arne564

are the pH drop kits accurate enough to indicate 5.0,5.1,5.2 pH etc? if not, how accurate are they exactly?

Y

yamaha_1fan

I am sure the strips and drops are great but it sounds like a PITA when maintaining 5 reses. To check PH, ut in PH up/down, recheck, etc.

I ordered a Milwaukee SM102. Has a 2 year warranty

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
arne564 said:
are the pH drop kits accurate enough to indicate 5.0,5.1,5.2 pH etc? if not, how accurate are they exactly?
bromothymol blue's range is from 6.0 - 7.0 range. Color changes from yellow at 6.0, to green at 6.5, to blue at 7.0

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I have a Milwaukee ph51, its accurate as long as I keep calibrating it often. If I don't use it for a month or so it will be off, and longer than that its off by almost a point sometimes.

BUY SOME 7 and 4 Calibration solution! Its cheep and I use the same 5ml or so twice before I dump it. I keep the used solution to be used again in film containers.

Last edited:

Mo. G

i went threw this same issue with my HI 9813-6 combo meter. i came to relize it works great however it needs to be calibrated once a month and the probe/electrode needs to changed every 6mo. i also back it up with the ph drops and its prety acurate. just my opinion

CapnGimp

I have searched for this info for days, lol. Just wished more had chimed in their preference.
I try to balance cheap/KISS/reliable in all I do. I had almost ordered a pen type meter until I saw that you have to clean/store in a $ solution and another $ solution to calibrate with. That kinda sux for me, I'm a poor man, I don't have money to toss around.
I'm sitting here waiting to get started in a small cabinet grow. I think I will go to the aquarium section of wally whirled Friday and go this way. Gotta get my lights/etc also.

Thanks guys.

Minds_I that link is perfect. I think these are ideal, will probably order them at a later date. The two-color solution takes the guesswork out of accuracy!