What's new

What to do?

tragic1

hey I hope someone can answer this for me. I have a 400hps w/enclosed ballast in a room 4'w x 4'l x 5' h. I just got a dayton 256, should I air cool the lamp with it our just use it for exahaust?

Answer

Answer

Cool the lamp as well. That confined space makes me worry about heat.

It should work great for you if you keep the heat down.

Dayton

Dayton

Yes. You might have to build a box for the fan, however.

It will be some extra work but well worth the effort. Cooler temperatures bring far better buds.

G

Hey Bro I have a 430w son agro in a cabinet that is 3 x 3 and 5 feet high. I use a silent bathroom fan as an exhaust and its only rated at 110 cfm. I have no heat issues and I run my shit in so Cal where all summer the temps were 100 degrees+ almost everyday.

That fan should be enough to keep you cool, especially in the winter months

G

I run a 400 watter in a Sunsystem aircooled hood. I run one 265 cfm. Squirrel cage fan that is inline with the hood. So I cool my light bulb with the air from the cabinet going across the bulb while both the hot air from the bulb and cabinet are exhausted. Since the bulb and ballast are enclosed in one, the Ballast will run more efficient the cooler it is. So I say cool the hood first.

Blatant

full time daddy
Veteran
265 cfm

265 cfm

should be enuff to do a 400 and the room.
it really depends on the temp of the air you are bring in to the room.

i dont pull my air i push it.

cool the hood.......that will cool the room

tragic1

thanks alot everyone. One question, my hood has a opening on the top and the side. Should I blow air fom the side and exhaust out the top hole or blow air from the top and exhaust out the side of the hood?

G

I pull the air thru mine, it has an opening on each end so I hook the 4" exhaust fan hose to it and it draws thru the fixture and into the attic.

This is my room exhaust as well. I use a 440cfm fan that pulls plenty for my sealed room.

I will be adding an additional 440cfm fam just for the room exhaust in the future.

Tex

G

Oh so you dont pull air you push it huh? Yah well do you shove it too? Ha Ha. :D

I would pull air from the top while the intake is from the side. Pushing air in from the side will create back pressure on the fan making it harder to force the air out thru one hole. If its pulled that will create negative pressure inside the hood which means you'll always have enough fresh air around the bulb instead of stale air waiting to be forced out. Plus it will use the least amount of hose/ducting which in turns cuts down on bends and kinks which makes it flow easier and faster....More air!

Blatant

tragic1

Thanks TK and Blatant. Just one more question and this might sound stupid, but how do i pull air with a blower?

G

Turn it around.....lol

I use inline vortec style fans and they run as effective from either end. The input and output sides are pretty much equal

Tex

G

If your using flex it can have a tendency to collapse under the suction. You can put a short length of the rigid duct and make a little extension piece

Tex

Latest posts

Latest posts