What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What to do with a ton of fresh frozen?

Klompen

Solvent is a lot less expensive if you recover it. If you can set up a simple vacuum desiccator, you can boil off that liquids at room temperature.

H

HaHaHashish

Solvent is a lot less expensive if you recover it. If you can set up a simple vacuum desiccator, you can boil off that liquids at room temperature.

Ten years ago there some kid in a basement in Akron Ohio .....quick internet search of the how to of honey oi-yell!, dozens of cans of camping gas later....science happens then kaboom!

No one mentions this but have you noticed that exploding houses are less common now? ...that's another positive effect of the slow but sure march to world wide cannabis freedom.

H

HaHaHashish

As mentioned previously, know your market and produce the product that offers the best profit.

or scream at the Moon and roll that fucking dice, quick dry that shit, shrink wrap it, set up a meet with a friend of a "friend" and drive it yourself across country to that city with high prices... with a Go-Pro strapped to your forehead of course...once you leave Cali and are on the way to somewhere in the Sth East, make sure you Superglue that Go-Pro to your head so when the arrest and subsequent beating happens, it all gets live-streamed on Youtube.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
As mentioned previously, know your market and produce the product that offers the best profit.

or scream at the Moon and roll that fucking dice, quick dry that shit, shrink wrap it, set up a meet with a friend of a "friend" and drive it yourself across country to that city with high prices... with a Go-Pro strapped to your forehead of course...once you leave Cali and are on the way to somewhere in the Sth East, make sure you Superglue that Go-Pro to your head so when the arrest and subsequent beating happens, it all gets live-streamed on Youtube.

i advise against the second option, roflmao.....

LadyGuru

Option one: Bubble hash then pressing into rosin is an option. I have a press at the work site, with 4x6 plates. I know the end product very well here..... Nobody mentioned it, but I think what might be even better is a quick wash with liquid nitrogen spun in our tumbler might be better and easier than bubble.

Option two: Ethanol wash. Fast and easy. I assume you just do a quick was, pour out on a Pyrex dish, and let evaporate with a fan on it? How does this finish product come out? What is the quality like? This seems like the easiest way to not spend a bunch of money, and end up with a good product?

Option Three: BHO. I have access to blow through tubes, and have made lots of BHO this way in the past. However a hundred pounds-ish might waste a good amount of tang. Is it worth figuring out a recirculating system now, so I have the option in the future? Just a blow through? BHO is the obvious answer if you want the highest quality, with a small amount of work, IMO.

What do you guys think? What is my best options here?

LadyGuru

i thought we were talking about 1 ton, not 100lbs wet.

the efficiency of a closed loop extraction system is very high, but it's not something you can do without practice. there are lots of details that have to be gotten right. so you'd need to look at the first 3 runs as practice, ideally you take a course first.

Guilty of click bait with the one ton thing..... :laughing:

Where can I find a class to take? Can somebody help me out?:tiphat:

LadyGuru

Solvent free has the highest profit margin.

Not sure where you are located, but BHO fetches a higher price all day long here in Cali. Especially diamonds or sauce. :tiphat: Rosin is very hard to move, IME. If I could trade my press for a BHO machine, I would.

MrBungle

how is the fresh frozen material? is there moisture build up in the bags? is it a ice cube brick? is it loose in the freezer bags? is it mostly bud? or just trim?

I think the deciding factor should be the quality of the material at this point, since you have narrowed it down to a few different options

LadyGuru

how is the fresh frozen material? is there moisture build up in the bags? is it a ice cube brick? is it loose in the freezer bags? is it mostly bud? or just trim?

I think the deciding factor should be the quality of the material at this point, since you have narrowed it down to a few different options

I agree about the deciding factor, then balance with time. Rosin might be just as good as BHO, but the time factor is 10x. Not quite worth it IMO.

The fresh frozen material was picked in the fields, vacuum sealed in the field, then dry ice to freeze asap. Then into the freezers. The bags now look tight, and minimal freezer burn. We did a good job packing this stuff, and not too much moisture. :biggrin:

LadyGuru

For sure not loose in the bags. They are sealed well with low moisture, but are bricks of frozen weed for sure.

MrBungle

Well if the material is in good shape like you describe, then doing some live resin BHO isn't out of the question....

I think the reason a lot of folks were trying to steer you clear from that is cause there have been some horror stories about poorly treated "fresh frozen" that have come through here....

There is also a significant cost in buying the tools needed for BHO compared to the other options.... So if profit is a driving factor, while you might make more $$ with BHO it will certainly take a lot longer to pay yourself back for the equipment costs.

LadyGuru

Lets get into equipment and costs.

I have Pyrex dishes, silicon mats, and blow through tubes. I could just buy a ton of tang and make it for the cost of tang. My concern here, is being fresh frozen, it might be hard to extract in a blow through tube, as appose to a recirculating system. As I understand it, you need that tang cold, and liquid to extract from fresh frozen properly.

What would the cost be to buy a proper system, where would I buy it? I think I need a good vacuum as well, as ours is just a large pot with a lid essentially.

MrBungle

A closed loop system can be found for 1500 (low end).... probably around a 1k-1500 for a vac oven... recovery tank and butane probably 350 or so.... I'm sure I'm missing other supplies... 4-5k is probably a good estimate cost to get into the closed loop system.... Then there is the learning curve..... lots of differences between running open and a closed loop....

There is also closed column blasting which is kind of a mix of open blast and closed loop... where you valve off the butane with the material for a set mount of time then release the valve into a plate and the butane boils off like open blast....

the closed column units are a bit cheaper than the closed loop systems.... and it is the way I'm most familiar with as far as BHO goes....

to get decently priced gear check out Best Value Vacs... they have just about every type of extraction equipment available.... just be careful.. the valves they use on their gear is shit... be prepared to buy better valves.... or if they give an option to use better valves than what it comes with, get it...

Klompen

Option one: Bubble hash then pressing into rosin is an option. I have a press at the work site, with 4x6 plates. I know the end product very well here..... Nobody mentioned it, but I think what might be even better is a quick wash with liquid nitrogen spun in our tumbler might be better and easier than bubble.

Option two: Ethanol wash. Fast and easy. I assume you just do a quick was, pour out on a Pyrex dish, and let evaporate with a fan on it? How does this finish product come out? What is the quality like? This seems like the easiest way to not spend a bunch of money, and end up with a good product?

Option Three: BHO. I have access to blow through tubes, and have made lots of BHO this way in the past. However a hundred pounds-ish might waste a good amount of tang. Is it worth figuring out a recirculating system now, so I have the option in the future? Just a blow through? BHO is the obvious answer if you want the highest quality, with a small amount of work, IMO.

What do you guys think? What is my best options here?

Option one isn't a bad option, but I would prefer BHO over it generally. Option two won't produce as good of results as isopropyl, but either one will require multiple washes for best product.

As far as option 3; I think you'll be much better off using hexane if you're going to recover the solvent. Food-grade hexane is used in the food industry to make many types of vegetable oil. It will produce the best product by far. You can leave the material soaking in it for a very long time without it ending up all full of crud you don't want like ethanol soaks will do and its much safer than massive loads of butane. The butane needed to do 100lbs is pretty dangerous. If you can get a couple of good clean 55gallon drum for it, you could soak the bud in one and strain it into another, and then transfer it to a vacuum desiccator(which are easy to make) to remove and recover the solvent. The great benefit to this approach is that you can produce the finished product at your leisure.

watts

ohms
Veteran
I would like to suggest you try making a small test batch with 99% ISO by doing 1 single wash for 85-90 seconds and don't shake the jar vigorously. You might be surprised at the quality and should get around 15% return. You can get a vac chamber, vac, heating pad to purge it into shatter if desired.

LadyGuru

I would like to suggest you try making a small test batch with 99% ISO by doing 1 single wash for 85-90 seconds and don't shake the jar vigorously. You might be surprised at the quality and should get around 15% return. You can get a vac chamber, vac, heating pad to purge it into shatter if desired.

I would be willing to try this. What is the process? Literally take rubbing alcohol and pour a good amount over the herb. I would do this in my vac seal bags I already have the product in. I don't really like shatter, what would I get without heat? Do you need heat to purge?:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts