What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What to do when Forbid fails?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't, at least in reference to what he was actually saying, as you've gone way off target.

Photo is refering to peppermint, rosemary, etc., when he says essential oils. I've never heard of neem oil refered to as an essential oil. As well, who said you were "anti-neem"?

Adapting a resistance to rosemary oil sounds like adapting a resistance to fire or drowning...

Perhaps it's my method of search, but I can find nothing about spider mites or any other pest controllable with essential oils acquiring a resistance or adaptation behaviour. Maybe it's my search parameters, everytime I type in a combination of "essential oil" "resistance" "adaptation", etc, the only references brought up, highlight essential oils as the solution to pesticide/bactericide/viricide resistance.

I do enjoy being proven wrong though, and admittedly, only spent about 30-60 minutes trying to find a reference supporting your stance.

It is my understanding that the effectiveness of essential oils (almost entirely composed of different terpenes), is similar to a fatal chemical burn, much in the same way capsaicin spray works. Perhaps they develop a thicker, more robust exterior over time.

I still try to rotate essential oils (coriander, peppermint, rosemary, etc), but it's more of an effort to not overuse the ones with the most pleasing odour....

I don't, at least in reference to what he was actually saying, as you've gone way off target.

Photo is refering to peppermint, rosemary, etc., when he says essential oils. I've never heard of neem oil refered to as an essential oil. As well, who said you were "anti-neem"?

Adapting a resistance to rosemary oil sounds like adapting a resistance to fire or drowning...

Perhaps it's my method of search, but I can find nothing about spider mites or any other pest controllable with essential oils acquiring a resistance or adaptation behaviour. Maybe it's my search parameters, everytime I type in a combination of "essential oil" "resistance" "adaptation", etc, the only references brought up, highlight essential oils as the solution to pesticide/bactericide/viricide resistance.

I do enjoy being proven wrong though, and admittedly, only spent about 30-60 minutes trying to find a reference supporting your stance.

It is my understanding that the effectiveness of essential oils (almost entirely composed of different terpenes), is similar to a fatal chemical burn, much in the same way capsaicin spray works. Perhaps they develop a thicker, more robust exterior over time.

I still try to rotate essential oils (coriander, peppermint, rosemary, etc), but it's more of an effort to not overuse the ones with the most pleasing odour....

You pretty much summed up what I wanted to say. Thanks for saving me the time. :)

Essential oils are just now being studied in depth as pesticides. There is not a lot of hard data out there that is not kept private.

Thus far no one has been able to "prove" a resistance to them.

I would love to see data proving otherwise.

I will add that I use 4 different essential oils weekly. Rosemary, Lavender, thyme, and eucalyptus. The level of concentration is what is important.

A few drops will not do anything but smell good.
You need to be working in ml's per gallon. Depending on the oils you use it may be as high as 30ml per gallon, or as low as 5 ml per gallon.

I have tested out and read up on many different oils, and these seem to be the ones that have the best effect for our purposes.

There are however a million ways to skin a cat.