What's new

WHAT TO DO!? My entire crop hermied post-power outage

Team Microbe

Veteran
I've smoked some brick weed import that gave me a mild headache long ago, but I wouldn't blame that on the seeds. The seeds are a result of pollen being present, most likely from an undetected male flower a couple weeks ago. Stress by itself isn't enough to make a seed. Four hours of lights off isn't enough to stress and hermi, IMO. I recently switched from flowering during the day to flowering at night for heat reasons, at day thirty with seven strains with no hermi issues.(switched three weeks ago)

Hmmm... maybe it was a light leak then. Do you think this would do it? My tent windows weren't completely light proof I realized last night after going through a number of possibilities. I don't see any male pollen or bananas anywhere that's why I'm confused as to what caused it...

Team Microbe

Veteran
maybe its the genes in the seeds you got there...
and thats not blaming homie who made them

what are they?

They're a bunch of blue cheese/pineapple/blue dream crosses my buddy Supafunk made himself. His plants are sensi though so I think this was a mistake on my part not his... wondering if it was a light leak now

hayday

Veteran
I'd go all up skirt on your ladies.There is a rooster in the hen house or your neighbor has a rooster.Cannabis won't seed without pollen no matter how stressed.
I have read about random seeding in finish bud but for that to happen there had to be a nanner or male flower somewhere.I have always found male parts when trimming dried flowers if I had suprise seeds
Look close way up into the flowers from the bottom.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Finish them but takem 6-7 wks they will make bomb oil ... address whatever caused it... a power outage one time def aint to blame...

Team Microbe

Veteran
I'd go all up skirt on your ladies.There is a rooster in the hen house or your neighbor has a rooster.Cannabis won't seed without pollen no matter how stressed.
I have read about random seeding in finish bud but for that to happen there had to be a nanner or male flower somewhere.I have always found male parts when trimming dried flowers if I had suprise seeds
Look close way up into the flowers from the bottom.

Ight I will when lights turn on tonight man, 3rd time's a charm right? Now I'm hoping I find one, because if I don't then that means a neighbor is being careless. May have to buy an infared cam and sniff these people out if that be the case because I'm not moving anytime soon....

Coconutz

Veteran
I did have a slight light leak through my tent windows, I was wondering the very same thing actually. It's barely enough to see my hoods with when I'm inside the tent with lights off, it doesn't shin on my girls but I'm afraid this is more than enough to set off a herm reaction.

If it was indeed a light leak, is male pollen still needed to cause everything to herm like it did? I just can't find one banana anywhere, so this is confusing me as everyone's saying I must have pollen somewhere in there. There hasn't been a male in the room since it was re-built, so it had to have come from outside if there is pollen in there. Ugh, bare with me because this is frustrating!

Being pollinated isnt "Herm"
A hermie can pollinate your crop, pollen cant herm your crop.
Sounds like a light leak.
Do you have your ducts lightproof? I use the black stuff

S

sourpuss

If every calyx is a seed, you have lots of pollen c9ming from somewhere. Most likely if you look upskirt like buddy says you will see the balls. Your chicks got balls under her skirt. Take a look...

CARE giver

Sour Bubble Connoisseur
Veteran
Same happened to me bro. Theres a few unseeded buds. But fir tge most part all seeded.

Im going to make them look visually appealing by poping tge seeds off the outter part of the buds.

RB56

Veteran
I did have a slight light leak through my tent windows, I was wondering the very same thing actually. It's barely enough to see my hoods with when I'm inside the tent with lights off, it doesn't shin on my girls but I'm afraid this is more than enough to set off a herm reaction.

If it was indeed a light leak, is male pollen still needed to cause everything to herm like it did? I just can't find one banana anywhere, so this is confusing me as everyone's saying I must have pollen somewhere in there. There hasn't been a male in the room since it was re-built, so it had to have come from outside if there is pollen in there. Ugh, bare with me because this is frustrating!
I think you are misunderstanding the terminology. In this context, "hermie" refers to a female plant that develops male reproductive parts. A hermaphrodite has both male and female sex organs.

Hermies produce seeds because the male parts pollinate the female parts. If you are certain there are no male parts in your grow space, the polin is coming from male parts outside your grow space. None of the stressors thought to cause male parts to grow on female plants are relevant if there are no male parts on any of your female plants. If there are no male parts inside your grow, your plants are not hermies. You need to be 100% certain that there are no male parts on your plants before you do anything or think about this any more.

Team Microbe

Veteran
UPDATE:

Upon one last thorough inspection, I HAVE located bananas. 2 plants had 1 nanner under each their skirts, but they had yet to open. I pinched them off and disposed of them carefully, but it seems like the damage has already been done. It looks like 2 of my buddy's strains turned herm and pollinated everything on me. I'm just gonna order breeder's seeds for now on, this crop was a gift to get me back on my feet after a powdery mildew out-break. Well, the PM is gone but now I have hermies. Go figure lol...

G

Great news, always good when you can ID the source of a problem. I think I recall you mentioned in an early post that you changed the light schedule to help with a rising heat issue. Maybe that's why they hermied?

RonSmooth

Veteran
What is inside the calyx when the plant doesn't get pollinated?

They (the seed pods) swell like there is a seed inside wether pollinated or not. I have never looked inside one before.

I haven't seen anything that would produce pollen in your pics. You would find at least a few male flowers if your entire room were pollinated. A few naners would not.

Its easy to find male flowers if you have a real problem. After they open, they die and fall to the ground. You can often find them on the top of the medium as they usually occour on lower branches, isolated from female flower clusters.

A "naner" is not a full male flower. It looks different and grows among the female flower clusters. These usually show up late in flowering. If they pollinate anything, its usually only a few calyx in the immediate area. These are common late in flowering with lots of strains.

I would only use the term hermaphrodite to refer to plants that develop clusters of full male flowers separate from female flowers.

I don't think minor "stress" causes it. The stress of being unnaturally unable to reproduce would be more a likely cause than a small light leak.

if possible, Id like to see some pics of the naners, male flowers or any developed seeds for a definite confirmation

Team Microbe

Veteran
Great news, always good when you can ID the source of a problem. I think I recall you mentioned in an early post that you changed the light schedule to help with a rising heat issue. Maybe that's why they hermied?

I was wondering the same thing, that has to be a big stress for them. Also, when the power went out a week later my fans shut off but lights stayed on. Temps were in the upper 90's for an hour or two which didn't help much either. This round has seen an abnormal amount of stress since I expanded just before summer began (from 1 hood to 3 hoods) so some things weren't taken into consideration like they should have. I had a feeling my circuit may not be able to hold it, but after tweaking my ratios on each breaker I'm able to run the room without blowing fuses finally. Next round should be much better like usual...

What is inside the calyx when the plant doesn't get pollinated?

They (the seed pods) swell like there is a seed inside wether pollinated or not. I have never looked inside one before.

I haven't seen anything that would produce pollen in your pics. You would find at least a few male flowers if your entire room were pollinated. A few naners would not.

Its easy to find male flowers if you have a real problem. After they open, they die and fall to the ground. You can often find them on the top of the medium as they usually occour on lower branches, isolated from female flower clusters.

A "naner" is not a full male flower. It looks different and grows among the female flower clusters. These usually show up late in flowering. If they pollinate anything, its usually only a few calyx in the immediate area. These are common late in flowering with lots of strains.

I would only use the term hermaphrodite to refer to plants that develop clusters of full male flowers separate from female flowers.

I don't think minor "stress" causes it. The stress of being unnaturally unable to reproduce would be more a likely cause than a small light leak.

if possible, Id like to see some pics of the naners, male flowers or any developed seeds for a definite confirmation

Look at the first pics I posted in the beginning of this thread for the seed pics. No male parts were spotted yet, just the couple nanners...

I found 2 girls with 1 set of nanners under each of their skirts earlier, no male parts though like I said. Just nanners out of the flowering buds. I'm too lazy to go in and snap pics, plus I already disposed of the nanners. If it was a stress issue, it's already fixed as I've dialed the room in since the stress happened. If it's something else like pollen, then it's still mysterious on where it came from. Have you ever had a crop go herm on you?

Team Microbe

Veteran
I wanna thank everyone that has helped so far by the way, didn't think I'd get so many responses this soon. This is why I come to ICMag for advice, there's almost an alliance here I feel like. Some real shit.

If it makes u feel better i had a whole room do this a few months back. Started w pm then heat stress to 100 for up to six hours. Maybe two plants were frosty. The other large % looked like a bad perm. Blew it for byproduct. Gavita makes a switch that dims the ballasts if heat goes over x. I am getting that.
No more shady genetics either.

Team Microbe

Veteran
If it makes u feel better i had a whole room do this a few months back. Started w pm then heat stress to 100 for up to six hours. Maybe two plants were frosty. The other large % looked like a bad perm. Blew it for byproduct. Gavita makes a switch that dims the ballasts if heat goes over x. I am getting that.
No more shady genetics either.

It doesn't, I'm sorry to hear that bro! Do you think it was stress-induced?

Genetics may have played a role in mine, I don't know the guy who sent me these or how he breeds but he was trying to help me after my crop went out the door from PM... good intentions but it really set me back 6 months further lol. Good genetics is a must for now on...

RB56

Veteran
It doesn't, I'm sorry to hear that bro! Do you think it was stress-induced?

Genetics may have played a role in mine, I don't know the guy who sent me these or how he breeds but he was trying to help me after my crop went out the door from PM... good intentions but it really set me back 6 months further lol. Good genetics is a must for now on...

People say stress is an issue. In my limited experience, I've had strains that hermied no matter what I did and others that don't, no matter what I do. Got rid of the hermie genetics (bag seed originally) and haven't had any seeds in a crop since.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
If your room is not 100% light proof, you will have a seeded crop.

Light leak = Seeds

That is why your crop seeded, the windows were not light proofed you said, which caused the plant to stress. Result is the male flowers you found.

Environment makes or breaks a grow. Its all about attention to detail, and mastering the basics. Environment is the number one thing to tackle.

Good luck!