What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What size pot do YOU start seeds in?

mr.brunch

Veteran
I’m going to try some autos in 1L pots with Windows cut in the sides and bottom so the roots can get out, then sink the whole pot in a raised bed.
Should allow me to start under light for a week or two then plant out with no repotting

yardgrazer

I usually start in flats, or solo cups. This time I did a few solo cups, but mostly somewhat larger nursery pots (the smallest I saw at a local shop), and a few are in nursery pots that are one size up from that. I'll see how things develop, I suspect there'll be some challenges with the slightly larger containers (getting watering right), but also some benefits (they can get established in larger containers from the get go... ones that might get many of them through until I can do some sexing).

I’m in 4” square pots right now with Himboldt Seed Company seeds started Feb 21. They got behind a little bit because I didn’t feed them till a couple days ago and they were under fluorescent lighting. I just put them under 1000 W lighting. I’m wondering if I should put them in 3 gallon or 5 gallon pots. It’s harder to transplant a 5 gallon outside I’ve had them crumble on me from not being filled in yet. I use hard plastic pots because that’s what I have.

Next year I’m starting Jan 1st and keeping them under 1000w lights til I can put them in a greenhouse, then outside June 1st. The bigger the better and I love growing from seed compared to clone. They’re so much more hardy.

CrushnYuba

You will get the biggest plant by starting in bigger pots and not transplanting a bunch. Those roots closest to the stalk are small when it's growing now but months from now the roots closest to the plant will be giant to support all the roots coming off of it and that main root ball will choke itself. Hard to describe in words.

So if you crack a seed and then put it directly in say a 7 gallon, that main root ball is more spread out and not all jumbled. Then you plant that directly into your final outdoor container/hole at the beginning of summer. It won't choke itself later. If you are growing monsters it's night and day. If you transplant a few times and the roots have touched the sides of the pots and changed direction more then once, they will never do as well.

The multiple transplants are for indoor growing. Not for growing very large plants that are grown for 6 months. I have seen the side by side differences for years. This is ONE of the reasons that plants started later seem to catch up with plants started earlier.

Don't take my word for it. Do a side by side. Watch how much bigger the plants get. Then at the end of the year dig up the roots and look at the structure.

You will get the biggest plant by starting in bigger pots and not transplanting a bunch. Those roots closest to the stalk are small when it's growing now but months from now the roots closest to the plant will be giant to support all the roots coming off of it and that main root ball will choke itself. Hard to describe in words.

So if you crack a seed and then put it directly in say a 7 gallon, that main root ball is more spread out and not all jumbled. Then you plant that directly into your final outdoor container/hole at the beginning of summer. It won't choke itself later. If you are growing monsters it's night and day. If you transplant a few times and the roots have touched the sides of the pots and changed direction more then once, they will never do as well.

The multiple transplants are for indoor growing. Not for growing very large plants that are grown for 6 months. I have seen the side by side differences for years. This is ONE of the reasons that plants started later seem to catch up with plants started earlier.

Don't take my word for it. Do a side by side. Watch how much bigger the plants get. Then at the end of the year dig up the roots and look at the structure.

I wish I could start them outside I have a dope 12k indoor room but wouldn’t want to use big pots in there for months. I need to camouflage a gh in my backyard. I live right by a hospital and a military building so have a lot of choppers flying over. Maybe black garden Matt with black big fabric pots wouldn’t look like too much from above? Prob not tho haha.

CrushnYuba

Sounds you are a gorilla grower. If i was running lights, i probably wouldn't want to start them in big pots either. It's really something you would do in a hoop. If you are gorilla growing, you aren't really going for huge plants anyway. Plants veged in a hoop outgrow plants vegged inside any day.

My property is not where I live. If I were to grow starting in big pots I’d have to be away from my kids/wife and can’t do that right now. Gotta veg em inside then transfer outside in June.