What's new

What parts of Amsterdam to avoid?

G

vortex- I love a change of surroundings, and believe me Oklahoma is no fun, I am in despirate need of a change, to many bad memories here.
Ik wens succes goede reis
-thanks man

Goodbyebluesky- when you say that I will have to have enough money to support myself, what do you mean. Enough money to pay my rent for a year, food ect.? How would I go about getting my big dog from Schipol to my flat, his cage wont fit in a cab, can you rent a big van or something? My job is an under the table type thing and so really awork permit isnt needed, basically I will have the Govern. thinking that I am rich and I dont have to work.
Anyone use Direct Wonen? I cant figure out how to type my tele. number right, how would I write it if I wre in the Nl calling the US with the national area code also? I really need to sign up because there is a nice furnished flat in Haarlem that I would like to rent if they will allow a dog.

G

vortex_g said:
I agree with Mr Natural....I always wanted to live in Holland...when A chance for a job transfer came up I took it...by the time that happend I spend over 6 months in separte trips and the magic was over for me...once you work and the magic goes away its like being anywhere else in the world...it just becomes rutine...go to work come home smoke a bowl...go to work come home smoke a bowl...anyways not to put you down but I hope you making the right choice...its a big move and you might not be what you expected...

12284dam_047.jpg

just outta curiosity and the fact i dont recognize it but what streets that ?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hey dank1,

you will find the addicts in dutch cities are nothing like what you get in the ghetto in the us.

they are no where near as desperate, most of them can get buy doing deals on the streets.

the point is the ones the you might meet will normally be trying to sell you something. if you give them a clear concise no thanks, they will leave you alone.

if its after midnight and in the sleaziest area of the redlight district, then you might have to worry if you encounter a group of junkies, but even then more then likely they want to sell you smack or what ever. i don't think they have many muggings, much more likely to get a snatch and grab attempt.

basically be awake and purposeful. watch out when you take your wallet out etc. just common sense really.

you will surely love living in such a canna friendly place. basically you don't have to hide anymore. i can well understand your wish to get away from the danger of being a toker in the us.

good luck to you, might see you there when i next visit.

Mr. Natural

I'm not trying to discourage you from moving here (well maybe a little) but I am trying to let you know what to expect so that you don't waste a lot of time of money going down the wrong path.

I've been through the process and have a permanent residence permit, I've advised a lot of people who have moved here and all of them were glad they had someone who had already been through the process and knew what not to do.

If you want expert advice I'd recommend you contact the Amsterdam based immigration attorneys Everaert Advocaten at + 31 20 524 7474. Carl Everaert processed our applicatations but he's no longer practicing law. I've heard a couple people complain that some of the other lawyers there didn't do a very good job but I still think they're the best law office to go through.

Having a rental contract won't get you a residence permit, even if you pay a year's rent in advance. If you buy a house and can prove you have enough money to support yourself for the rest of your life, that may be another story.

Your best chance of staying here more than 3 months legally is to start (or possibly buy into) a business and apply for a permit under the Dutch/American friendship treaty.

Lots of people are here illegally and some have been here for quite a long time but it's getting more difficult to do that. There is a law here where you are legally required to carry an ID and produce it on demand to the police.
If youre caught growing or dealing and aren't here legally, plan on being deported and hope you have someone here who can send your dog and belongings back to you. I know of a couple growers who weren't even allowed to go home and change clothes before they put them on a plane.

If you are not here legally, a lot of options are closed to you. 99% of the houses listed on funda.nl require that you are legal and can register with the city hall at that address to rent. Most of the agents renting those houses will require an employment contract and proof of a Dutch bank account before they will rent to you. You used to be able to open a Postbank account without a residence permit but not anymore. You also can't get health insurance without a residence permit.

There are places that you can rent "black" but you pay a lot more and have no rights and could be kicked out for no reason.

Direct Wonen is pretty worthless in my opinion. They never seem to have anything and when they do it costs twice what it is worth. We signed up (and paid) for 3 services and never found a thing.
If you want to call them anyway, from the US you would dial 011 31 20 616 16 66

There's no quarantine for dogs or cats coming from the U.S. as long as their shots are up to date and you have a letter from your vet stating so.

There may be stationwagon cabs at Schipol but don't count on it. You can call a vrachttaxi to transport you but it may be hours before they can get to you.

When you get here, be prepared for a runaround. You need a SOFI number to get a residence permit but you can't apply for one until you have a residence permit. You need proof of insurance to apply for a permit but you need a permit to apply for insurance.

99% of the stores close at 5:30 every day and almost nothing is open on Sunday, if you want to buy bread at a grocery store, you better get up early in the morning or you're out of luck. Plan on spending 10% of your time dealing with bureaucracy and sorting out problems that other people cause for you. I've had to take 5 days off and wait at home just to get a noisy phone line fixed.

I've been to Oklahoma so I know why you want to leave but if you're just moving here for the semi-legal weed, I think Canada's a better option.

OGDread

So, Amsterdam.
Stay out of: Center, too busy. Oud West (old west), ghettoish, although being worked on. Zuid-oost, to many highrise, too much ghetto. Amsterdam North. Too boring, poorer area.
Good places: south amsterdam, upper class, lots expensive nice appartments. East, good middle class, older style buildings. new west, middle class, new buildings.

Other good towns: Amstelveen, expensive, upper middle class, lots of gardens. Haarlem, middle class, lots of gardens. Badhoevedorp. hoofddorp, middle class, garden towns.

Welcome, Ill buy you a coffee someday!

G

gaiusmarius-- pm me and well met up for a few tokes, when you come.

Mr.Natural-- What about transfering a small business, I run a small private janitorial company, could this be transferred?
When you get here, be prepared for a runaround. You need a SOFI number to get a residence permit but you can't apply for one until you have a residence permit. You need proof of insurance to apply for a permit but you need a permit to apply for insurance.
I know about this its just a money racket to get you to pay for a lawyer, its a scam. What was the total cost of your immigration lawyer?

Last edited:

GoodbyeBlueSky

Dank1 said:
Goodbyebluesky- when you say that I will have to have enough money to support myself, what do you mean. Enough money to pay my rent for a year, food ect.? How would I go about getting my big dog from Schipol to my flat, his cage wont fit in a cab, can you rent a big van or something? My job is an under the table type thing and so really awork permit isnt needed, basically I will have the Govern. thinking that I am rich and I dont have to work.
Anyone use Direct Wonen? I cant figure out how to type my tele. number right, how would I write it if I wre in the Nl calling the US with the national area code also? I really need to sign up because there is a nice furnished flat in Haarlem that I would like to rent if they will allow a dog.

i don't know exactly what you'd have to do to prove you have enough cash to support yourself. but if you're gonna work under the table you might want to consider just not bothering with the residence permit. you can bs your way past rental companies pretty easily. and in your situation it might not make any sense to bother.

chances are direct wonen won't take an american phone number... but you can make one up, they're not going to call you.

as for the dog... take the train. the terminal is right below the airport lobby

Last edited:
G

Moose Eater- thanks for the words of wisdom, and no its not hard to get sick of Amerikkka(lol) Im glad I'm not the only one. Will you please elaborate on exactly what happend to your friends who got busted growing, how it happend, what country they were from, and where they were growing(indoors, outdoors), thanks

GbBS- I am worried about losing my pooch without a residence permit, I think direct wonen is fucked up it wont let me pass the tele. number part of the subscription, even when I type tha Abraxas number(lol). thanks for the tip on the tram.

OGDread

Get someone to get you a dutch prepaid. Janitor firm might work, if you can get customers. The trick is always money no? Its smart to have a laywer, your coming to redtape country, and we currently dont like immigrants so much. Without a good foothold, job, partner, its going to be hard.

Mr. Natural

Dank1 said:
Mr.Natural-- What about transfering a small business, I run a small private janitorial company, could this be transferred? I know about this its just a money racket to get you to pay for a lawyer, its a scam. What was the total cost of your immigration lawyer?

I think it cost about 900NLD but it was 10 years ago so I would guess it would cost about $1000 now. Call or e-mail Everaert, they can tell you.

I'm not fan of lawyers, mine just sent me a bill for €600 to rewrite an employment contract that I could have done myself in a half hour but for something as tricky as immigration I think having a good lawyer is worth it.

I know one couple who let their accountant file their applications for them and they're lucky to still be here and one of them has been waiting over a year and still doesn't have his permanent permit.

Our (ex)accountant made a mistake on our books one quarter during our first year here by putting net instead of gross figures on a form and the IND sent our lawyer a letter saying that we had to leave the country. He went to court, fought it and won and then told us after it was over because he knew he'd win and he didn't want to stress us out over it.

Everything is a money racket here. I constantly get bills for things like owning a copy machine $$, playing a radio in my office $$$, my mandatory registration with the chamber of commerce $$$$, registration with another organization that's required but nobody even knows what they do. $$$$ TV tax $$$, sign tax $$$....

Whenever you apply for anything for your business, you need to show a copy of an uittreksel from the KVK and it has to be less than 90 days old so basically every time you need to show it you'll need to go there and pay another $10 to get a new one.$$$

If you are an accountant and even if you had a degree from a Dutch university, you still need to pay another accountant to do your books.$$$$

If you have a dog you have to have a dog license. Once a year the dog police come by all the houses without a dog license and ring the bell, if a dog barks you get a bill for 100 euros. If they catch you without a license you get a bill for 100 euros times the age of your dog.$$$$

A janitorial service wouldn't lend itself well to being transfered I wouldn't think, unless your current customers followed you over here.

It is fairly cheap and easy to set up a one person business and it can be for almost anything you want so I don't think transferring a business would be any help.

If you're American, you follow the rules to a T and make the mimimum required each year and prove it you shouldn't have any problems.

If you're not making enough legally through your business you could always get another "customer" that brings your income up, run the money through your business account, have invoices for it and make it convincing enough for your accountant. You need 3 customers to be considered self-employed.

I've heard they have changed a few things since we went through the process. Now I think they put a stamp in your passport and give you 3 months to prove you can make some money at what you do and then if you do, then you can apply for a permit.

V

vonforne

Hey Dank, I don't mean to burst your bubble or any thing but immagrating to the EU isnt that easy.First you need to read the laws first. I'am marriaded to a German woman and believe me it isnt as easy as signing a lease. AND do not wait until the last minute to apply for an extension. The frown upon that. Another if you over stay your Tourist visa and are caught you will be banned from the EU for something like 10 years. The same as the US. To stay in the netherlands, you might need to draw up a resume and apply for an emplotment visa first. Just so you wont waste your money and 9 months rent while not being there. Or you could just get a flight back to america ever 90 days to see Mom. stay for 30 days and then return. or you could fly to a non-EU country and go back. Just make sure your stamp is renewed wvery 90 days or what ever visa time period you get. A place to get the best info for thei would be the Dutch Consulate in your state or the closet one. And you ask why I know these things? I lived with my wife in Germany. Or you could find a fat dutch girl and get married online. HaHa. I hope this will help you. Please do check this out really good before you dissapoint yourself.

G

dude believe me I've checked this out thouroughly, and I know its going to be hard. You cant just get married to a dutch girl, they dont have the same immigration laws as the US, but If I were a millionaire, would they make me get a job to stay, NO. I know what I'm gettimg myself into, and how to do this, I wouldnt do what you did, if you go to the embassy webpage they basically say, if you come to the Netherlands on vacation and decide you want to live there, you can wait 90 days and then go apply and you are allowed to stay as long as they are processing your application, wich can take up to two years(usually about 4 months). The Dutch dont have exactly the same laws as the rest of Europe because they have a positive financial deficate, thats why they can have cannabis and be in the UN, The UN is also wh cannabis is not legal but tolerated.

G

Four words: 'Dutch-American Friendship Treaty'

Even if you have to pay an attorney in Amsterdam some $$$$, the investment standards in that little-known law are minimal, and from there forward, it's an open road, as long as the actual value of your investment doesn't sink below the current minimum standard of required value..

Just remember that the -types- of jobs are limited by law, and you -don't- necessarily have to start your own business; you can invest in an existing business, in which case you have the normal concerns of economic entanglements with persons who may or may not be known to you.

'In unison now, 'Dutch-American Friendship Treaty.' ;^>)

I PMed you re. specifics re. the (which ever) bust you were referencing, Dank1. I've known a lot of persons, as for a time I made it my business to seek persons who had endured those circumstances, and point them toward attorneys and info.

Free-lance muck-raking; it's not just a hobby anymore. It's a sport too!! ;^>)

Regards,

moose eater :wave:

Last edited:

Mr. Natural

No offense but I don't think you've checked it out thoroughly enough.

You're not correct about how marrying a Dutch citizen would effect your status. If you married a cloggie you would get a fast-track residence permit, a permanent residence permit in 3 years instead of 5 and you could even get a Dutch passport then and even keep your US passport if you wanted. You would need to learn Dutch and take a civic integration examination before you moved here though.

http://www.ind.nl/EN/verblijfwijzer/verblijfwijzer_content.asp?proc=komen&lang=en

Here's what the IND website says about working here as a self-employed person. That's the easiest way for Americans to live here. There are no double-secret loopholes, they don't even allow people to move here to retire (unless you invest in a business) like Switzerland does and it's really hard to move to Switzerland with less than a 50k per year passive income.

What conditions must you meet?
If you want to come to the Netherlands for longer than 3 months, you must meet the following conditions and have the following documents:

you have a valid passport
you have health insurance with coverage in the Netherlands
you do not constitute a risk to the public order
you do not have tuberculosis
you have sufficient funds
you are under age 60
you meet the requirements for practising your profession
you are starting a new company
with your business activities you serve a material Dutch economic purpose
it is essential for you to come to the Netherlands to run your business

Documentary evidence

Documentary evidence of independent entrepreneurship
Extract from the Chamber of Commerce (no older than 3 months and only if registration is compulsory)
See: www.kvk.nl

Where applicable: copy of the document showing that the entrepreneur is authorised to run a business in the Netherlands

Copy of the business plan, containing:
information on the entrepreneur: personal details, family and income situation, financial commitments, training/education and professional experience
business information: among other things the sector in which the entrepreneur will be operating, the starting date and the location
legal aspects: legal form of the company, trade name, licences, liability, insurance and delivery terms & conditions

Dank1 said:
dude believe me I've checked this out thouroughly, and I know its going to be hard. You cant just get married to a dutch girl, they dont have the same immigration laws as the US, but If I were a millionaire, would they make me get a job to stay, NO. I know what I'm gettimg myself into, and how to do this, I wouldnt do what you did, if you go to the embassy webpage they basically say, if you come to the Netherlands on vacation and decide you want to live there, you can wait 90 days and then go apply and you are allowed to stay as long as they are processing your application, wich can take up to two years(usually about 4 months). The Dutch dont have exactly the same laws as the rest of Europe because they have a positive financial deficate, thats why they can have cannabis and be in the UN, The UN is also wh cannabis is not legal but tolerated.
What's this with the UN? Cannabis is more legal in Spain and Portugal than it is in Holland now.

G

What happend to Mr. Natural? all his posts are removed, he still has an account, I've noticed this before is he in hidden mode or something? If you are turn it off I want to read what you posted.

GoodbyeBlueSky

yeah, it's not even as simple as just marrying a dutch person either...

holland has, in the last 5 years or so, passed a shitload of laws that only discriminate against their own citizens. some german can bring his mail order korean bride and all 50 of her extended family members to holland, but if i want to marry a non dutch person i have to go through hell and back to get her a visa...

anyway, like i said... your best bet might just be to not bother with getting a visa. just going below the radar. it works... my girlfriend has been here without a visa for almost 18 months now.

anyway...

G

thats why I want to talk with Mr. Natural about the illegal immigrant snatch up he refers(lol) to.

Delta 9--Huh?

Latest posts

Latest posts