What's new

What music are you listening to?

CharlesU Farley

Somewhere around here, likely buried in ancient archives if I still even have it, is a larger black and white photo of Shawn Phillips in concert taken (I think) in Vancouver, B.C.(??... maybe Montreal?? Toronto??), by a former good friend from the Hippie School in the 70's in the Yukon Territory.

I want to say he's playing a 12-string in that photo, but my mind's eye might be lying to me. It happens more these days than ever before.
If you can find that without jumping through a bunch of hoops, and getting all frustrated because you can't find something that you know you got... Can you tell what's happened to me before? But I'd love to see see that pic!

Thank you all for all these great posts! I've been laughing my ass off, and that's a good thing, because it just found out Ray Thomas from The Moody Blues died. Will pick one, possibly two tunes that are indicative of how they make me feel and post 'em.

But right now I got to rock the mountain with To Our Children's Children, Children.

CharlesU Farley

... and for you trivia wackadoodles -- There were 2 guys named Randy jamming with Jimi Hendrix in the group Jimmy James & The Blue Flames. To keep them straight Jimi called the Randy from California .. .. Randy California.

Got to tell a quick story about Spirit. In 1968, there was a club in Miami called Thee image. _Every_ major late '60s rock and roll group performed there, in essentially a 1-year period before it closed. I lived about three blocks from The Image.

One night my brother comes in and tells me about this group he just saw called Spirit. He's telling me all about how he can't believe how good some old bald guy was... "he was just banging the shit out of the drums!". He absolutely loved it. I got their first album right after I heard Mechanical World for the first time.

This is the same brother who came in late New Years Eve in 67, I was 12 years old, stuck his fingers under my nose and said, "Here take a big whiff, at least you'll know what pussy smells like!"

Gotta love big brothers. ;)

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

Growing up, The Moody Blues were one of my favorite bands and had a large impact on my life. I've written about it frequently on the website, which I'm doing for future communication to my kids, gkids, and ggkids to relate information to them I can't face to face, for obvious reasons. From July 30th, 2018:

"Thinking about that yanks me back to 1973 and being in love for the first time. In a shotgun shack just down the street from St. Joseph's Infirmary on a cold winter's night, my girlfriend and I do some blotter, the first time she'd ever done LSD. Turned up the gas heater in the fireplace to the max to stay warm and started to see the most amazing things emanate from the fire. She's looking back and forth between me and the fire asking, "Did you just see that??!!... I can't believe I've never seen fire like this before!!!".

We lock eyes as the Moody Blues song "Story In Your Eyes" cascades out from the speaker. As we hear "...and the sound we make together, is the music to the story in your eyes, it's been shining down upon you now, I realize…" we become lost in each other's eyes. For the first time in my life, I connect with another human being who I know actually loves me and I allow myself to love her right back.

Words cannot describe that feeling.

Think I'll pause here, because this is getting long and probably boring for you all but I'll return to subject of music later on. It's such an important part of my life as it helps to explain how I am, what I was and who I will be."

This is for you Ray:

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Just thought I would share this PSA in this thread... carry on..

Jimi.jpg

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Got to tell a quick story about Spirit. In 1968, there was a club in Miami called Thee image. _Every_ major late '60s rock and roll group performed there, in essentially a 1-year period before it closed. I lived about three blocks from The Image.

One night my brother comes in and tells me about this group he just saw called Spirit. He's telling me all about how he can't believe how good some old bald guy was... "he was just banging the shit out of the drums!". He absolutely loved it. I got their first album right after I heard Mechanical World for the first time.

This is the same brother who came in late New Years Eve in 67, I was 12 years old, stuck his fingers under my nose and said, "Here take a big whiff, at least you'll know what pussy smells like!"

Gotta love big brothers. ;)
The drummer in Spirit is Randy California's step - dad. Randy wrote the song "Mr Skin" for him.

**EDIT** Jay Ferguson wrote Mr Skin .. my bad.

Last edited:

moose eater

If you can find that without jumping through a bunch of hoops, and getting all frustrated because you can't find something that you know you got... Can you tell what's happened to me before? But I'd love to see see that pic!

Thank you all for all these great posts! I've been laughing my ass off, and that's a good thing, because it just found out Ray Thomas from The Moody Blues died. Will pick one, possibly two tunes that are indicative of how they make me feel and post 'em.

But right now I got to rock the mountain with To Our Children's Children, Children.
I'm currently behind in preparing for a trip into the mountains and am at about half-throttle where activities are concerned. Aside from it being likely about 20 years since I went into any of those boxes.

But my wife has been working toward 'thinning' our possessions and encouraging me to do the same.

Probably I could start down there with a bunch of legal files from the nearing-ancient estates of deceased family-of-origin members, and eventually get into the older, more personal archives spread through a few other boxes.

Hell, I have beer-brewing supplies down there in a couple of boxes that I haven't used in 30 years, which my wife more recently rededicated pertinent bits of to her recent affinity for wine making.

Just put 2 larger boneless pork shoulder butt roasts into the smoker to hopefully have done early enough tonight so as to not be shredding pork butts into the wee hours; preparations of more food to make and freeze for the upcoming bush trip that I hope still occurs.

Latest posts

Latest posts