What's new

What LED type and brand have you used that you'd get again?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I must of had a dozen ebay and ali light transactions. The ebay ones were ok, because I got my money back on all but the one that worked. While ali was a waste of time and money.

I think a lot of people don't know they got ripped off. A watt meter is a good start, but you still can't tell a samsung led from any other. Maybe you get a similar lux reading to expected, but it's quite meaningless. Most quantum meters are so inaccurate in the further red regions they can't help. We just can't tell what we are getting. But I can bet it's not the latest tech, when it's less than factory gate pricing.

Once I got a single unit, when trying a few suppliers, to see if any had the goods. It was alright. So I ordered 10 more, and all were different. So even if you do get a reasonable unit, there is no reason you will get another. It's a lottery, with similar odds of winning.

However, if anyone does think they scored something alright, do share an actual source, not country of origin.

Zomboy

Veteran
Thanks for the warning on Lush-- always heard you couldn't trust one. hehe
Anyway, I'm tired of so little yield from so many hours. I've decided to pony up some cash. Looking at HGL or HLG quantum boards. I like the idea of building them myself; looks more simple than I expected. That route takes me to HLG, but they don't offer a Meanwell driver separately, and I'd like to buy that brand.
On the other hand, the HGL Penetrators look verrrrrrry interesting. The quality of LEDs, 5 year warranties, all claims independently verified, made in the USA. I'm gonna try to find more posts on either of them. The HLGs that Amazon offers have a few devastating reviews, and I think one of the owners or engineers of HGL is an IC member.
Anyway, thanks for the reply.

If you are looking at building your own check out soltrips. I have a 14 light rack, 7 strips per side powered by 2 meanwell drivers. Should be somewhere around 700-750 watts. The kit came with everything predrilled. Just had to assemble, connect wires and the strips to the rack basically. They sell the meanwell drives separately as well. I believe the custom rack set up isnt on the site but if you email them they will help you find what you are looking for. There is also a thread on OG dedicated to solstrips if you are looking for more info.

Kwince

If you are looking at building your own check out soltrips. I have a 14 light rack, 7 strips per side powered by 2 meanwell drivers. Should be somewhere around 700-750 watts. The kit came with everything predrilled. Just had to assemble, connect wires and the strips to the rack basically. They sell the meanwell drives separately as well. I believe the custom rack set up isnt on the site but if you email them they will help you find what you are looking for. There is also a thread on OG dedicated to solstrips if you are looking for more info.
Thanks for the info. Not sure where this OG can be found... but I'll start looking in IC forums.

Kwince

Let There Be Light

Let There Be Light

Hey everybody,
Thanks for your help! Even if I won't be buying the brand you suggested, researching them helped me make a better decision. I wanted the best quantum boards I could find for under $1000.
And the winner is... HLG 600W QB288 V2 R-Spec Kit.
I have a few questions before placing order, but listed specs seem to fit my needs better than any other lighting source I've looked at. Mission (almost) accomplished.
:woohoo:
Kwince

Latest posts

Latest posts