What's new

What kind of damage is this?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
City water systems today are designed to stop metal leaching from the pipes to protect babies' tiny bellies. The way they do that is by immobilizing the cation exchange in water by adding two chemicals one being Sodium hypochlorite with a pH that is 11. The other chemical to bring the pH down called Sodium Bisulfite with a pH thats 3.6 to 4.6 and is used to lower the pH on outgoing water. Most tap waters are stripped of the positive and negative charge equilibrium with these two chemicals. That's not counting chlorine and chloramine designed to kill the microbes in the water on the way out. Tap water must be alkaline and "inactive" or it will leach metals. 😎

Boio_

@goingrey Between 25-28°, depending on the day. I also use different sponges etc to raise humidity in the tent so about 55% ( I know a bit higher would be better, but it's what it is).

@CalvinMagnuson Hey! Thanks for that perspective, it is one I'd like to learn about. Would any kind of boron jug work? I am new to this, so I'd want to get the right one. Would it be just mixed in with the water?

@Creeperpark A while ago I thought about methods to gather rain water, but due to my living situation it isn't really possible...The pH of the water I get from the tap is 7.8 and I control it down to 6.5, an issue I noticed though is that it quickly returns to its original pH and I wonder if that doesn't happen in the soil as well. I am using BioBizz all mix at the moment and I planted directly into big pots (next grow I'll start in a smaller one for sure), which doesn't allow for repotting really, so is there something I should know about in terms of keeping the medium good?

Boio_

Note: I think I did overwater (again) cause from what I understood the idea is to check whether just below the surface is dry and if it is you water, by that method however I feel like I water daily...should I just water more and wait longer? Due to the big pots I figured I cant really use the run off method until the plant reached a certain size.

goingrey

@goingrey Between 25-28°, depending on the day. I also use different sponges etc to raise humidity in the tent so about 55% ( I know a bit higher would be better, but it's what it is).

Sounds good. 55% rh or even less is fine, don't worry about it.

Note: I think I did overwater (again) cause from what I understood the idea is to check whether just below the surface is dry and if it is you water, by that method however I feel like I water daily...should I just water more and wait longer? Due to the big pots I figured I cant really use the run off method until the plant reached a certain size.

The combination of a big pot and a small plant can be challenging to water perfectly, yes. The good thing about that problem is that it solves itself as the plant gets bigger. I doubt you are overwatering if the surface is dry every day. If your root zone is also in the 25-28c range there will decent evaporation going on and it might not be a bad idea to water more. It is a difficult thing to evaluate over the internet though, can't digitally stick my finger in the soil...

gizmo666

You asked what the problem is and I told you, Tap water is adding too much calcium in the root zone. 😎

this intrests me as I've used tap water in all of my grows for years
I also done a side by side grow with two plants one on tap water the other on bottled water
and there was no difference in the plants
i suppose your statement would have to include "it depends on your water content and hardness"
just my 2c
peace

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I also done a side by side grow with two plants one on tap water the other on bottled water
i suppose your statement would have to include "it depends on your water content and hardness"
just my 2c
peace

I'm talking about large City water systems of over 100.000 pop. and the way they treat the water before they release it. "Water changes period" after it hits the ground! As seasons change and it becomes dry or wet the water changes. The City water systems modify the water using chemicals to keep it consistent with the changes in the environment. Bottled water is not the same as rainwater and is filtered to 17 ppm or less. Bottled water is third place when it comes to top water. There are 4 water types and they are important in Science and Horticulture. Knowing the difference makes a big difference.😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran

@CalvinMagnuson Hey! Thanks for that perspective, it is one I'd like to learn about. Would any kind of boron jug work? I am new to this, so I'd want to get the right one. Would it be just mixed in with the water?

@Creeperpark A while ago I thought about methods to gather rain water, but due to my living situation it isn't really possible...The pH of the water I get from the tap is 7.8 and I control it down to 6.5, an issue I noticed though is that it quickly returns to its original pH and I wonder if that doesn't happen in the soil as well. I am using BioBizz all mix at the moment and I planted directly into big pots (next grow I'll start in a smaller one for sure), which doesn't allow for repotting really, so is there something I should know about in terms of keeping the medium good?

Yes that is the problem with tap, the pH doesn't stay even after using acid. When you add the acid and lower the pH of the water it goes back up and raises the pH in the soil over time. Hydroxy content increases with time locking out calcium and bronzing the leaves. In other words, your 7.8 pH tap water has strong alkalinity and will keep going back up because of the treatment it was given. In order for your plants to get the nutrients, they need only use pure RO water or rainwater. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
There is nothing wrong with using tap water as long as you adjust the pH.

It looks to me like the plant could use a feeding and proper pH adjustment. You are in soil so add some nutrients to a gallon of water and mix well. Then adjust pH to 6.5.

The problem with using acid to lower the pH is there will be an increase in Hydroxyl content left in the soil. The root zone will become alkaline! Using acid with tap will leave a by-product and will not stabilize completely. Tap water is very hard to keep stable even after applying acid. One can add acid today and lower it to 6.2 pH and in four hours to 24 hrs the pH will swing back up again remaining in the root zone. Tap water is 4th place or last place when it comes to water quality. Back in the day you use to could use tap water but not today because of the two major chemicals they use to stabilize the water. The best water is pure water for Horticulture. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
just my 2c
peace

If you switched to pure water you would see a difference in your plants, how they look and taste, and smell. "Water Hardness" as you put it is the problem, alkalinity overrides hydrogen and is stronger on the pH scale. A little Alkalinity takes precedence over a lot of Hydrogen and therefore having little alkalinity can be problematic for the best nutrient up take. . 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran

I just put a large plastic trash can under a downspout and catch the rain. A 5-gallon bucket will work and you can put a lit on it to save. Put buckets anywhere you can find a roof to catch the rain.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 43

Boio_

Creeperpark That is what I suspected...is there any other way than getting a RO system to help the soil and if not, since I'm only watering 3-5 plants in small places at the moment, is there a smaller RO system I could get? What are the specifications I should be on the lookout for?

Thank you for the input.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You can get a RO set up for about $100 and hook it up yourself in the shower or bathtub. You can collect 5 gallons at a time and unhook it, and only use it when you need pure water. Using RO with Pro-mix and a few other mixes you will need to add small amount of cal mag to the water. This is super growing water and the only water I recommend. I only use pure water on all my plants, indoors and out. 😎.

Attachments

• photo2107701.jpg
    photo2107701.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 43
  • photo2107702.jpg
    photo2107702.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 37
  • photo2107703.jpg
    photo2107703.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 38
  • photo2107704.jpg
    photo2107704.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 37

Boio_

Creeperpark That is great news! I'll look into the different systems and see if there is one for me. I do have some unused space under the kitchen sink. Is "Pro-mix" an n analog to the Biobizz soil I use?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Creeperpark That is great news! I'll look into the different systems and see if there is one for me. I do have some unused space under the kitchen sink. Is "Pro-mix" an n analog to the Biobizz soil I use?

Ask the guy at the grow store which mix and nutrients are best for you. I always use General Hydroponics Flora series base nutrients without any additives with Pro-mix HP. The weed is always sticky and stinky and killer. 😎

goingrey

Pro-mix HP is a soilless mix of peat and perlite.

BioBizz (All-Mix?) is soil. Or as they call it a "heavily pre-fertilized substrate mixture emulates a rich outdoor soil with a full micro active ecosystem".

Both can yield excellent results but the nutrient requirements will be completely different.

Latest posts

Latest posts