What's new

What is your preferred type of aeration and why?

Growdo Baggins

I'm just wanna see what people like to use. What's tried and true. I'm making my first living soil soon and pumice is very expensive and impossible to source near me.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Pumice is a kind if lava imo. More holes in it so it is lighter. I got 30l lava and 50l pumice for ~50 euro. They weight around the same.

I'm not sure if every lava is equaly good. There is a source in austria but i was told that lava had visible sulfure in it. I'm also not sure if some lava has too much heavy metals in it to grow plants for consumption. The one i got is from italy and it can be used for plants.

My first notill mix was 1/3 coarse lava. After 7 runs it was almost gone and only few big chunks were left.

My pumice
20221221_091802.jpg

My lava

20221221_091810.jpg

Lunchmoney

Lava rock is pumice..
Right on. I did not know that. I’m told it has paramagnetic properties also?.. it’s very affordable and rather plentiful. Not sure which media I prefer honestly I’m still experimenting. I guess it would depend on the application. Affordability, availability are two big deciding factors for me.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Well, take a look at what they have in the shops for grills, you can easily find a busted up bag to have a look at the product!

Llano_oasis

I use the landscaping lava rock they have at Wal-Mart during the spring and summer. If I have to make a batch of soil in the winter and can't find any lava rock I get hydroton from the grow store but it's way more expensive and i prefer the lava rock. All those little nooks and crannies are great for sub surface life.

Last edited: