What's new

What is your drying process?

lordbudly

Veteran
I've got no "proof" but, I've heard the same thing. A quick look in my Marijuana Growers Guide mentions both sun drying and sun curing. Both include warnings that prolonged exposure to sunlight can reduce potency.

damnit freezerboy lol i still think hes talking about the you leave it in light it will produce munchie smoke!!!!!!

J

JackTheGrower

Yes, light, oxygen and heat can all break down THC.

I agree but my mind is open to keep fresh kut in some light as it is still alive and to me that is the first step in curing.. letting them keep living and using resources while it drys to a point for paper bags.. humidity plays a roll too..

just:2cents:

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
In section 21, Tables 26-29 give measured rates of decomposition of the major cannabinoids due to exposure to light and air. Light rapidly decomposes THC into unknown products (possibly polymers (122,164)). Light also converts CBD to CBS and CBC to CBL. Air (oxygen) slowly converts THC to the less active CBN. Conversion to CBN is hastened by higher temperatures.

(from users.lycaeum.org/~sky/data/grow/c20.html but the page doesn't seem to load, so I had to read the google cache)

I found this online, wtf are all those CB things and how do they fit with the whole munchy theory? Personally, I've never been fussed about ambient light during drying and I'm sceptical there's any real difference to be noted from minor light exposure. But if it does break shit down and make the smoke more couchy or munchy, I could understand it because I like that kind of smoke.

S

sparkjumper

I hang them upside down in a dark air conditioned room with a dehumid set at 50% RH for the first couple weeks.I normally let them hang a month or longer.Then I trim the flowers and lay them out on my drying table which is a 4 by 7 ft table with chicken wire stapled across the top.I usually let them sit another couple weeks.Altogether six weeks is whyen I'll put them in a jar.I usually sell what I'm going to sell after about 3 weeks of drying though.The smaller stems should break with a snap

lordbudly

Veteran
I agree but my mind is open to keep fresh kut in some light as it is still alive and to me that is the first step in curing.. letting them keep living and using resources while it drys to a point for paper bags.. humidity plays a roll too..

just:2cents:

i agree with this too, clones are alive without a root system, why cant the buds? people even clone a bud with a couple inches of stem below it, that could completely be a nug you left to dry in the light, the tests were done on already dried marijuana, not cut to dry, if they are left under the same light after being cut the buds can take on a yellow hue if the light is strong enough to photosynthesis all the nitrogen in the bud

lordbudly

Veteran
(from users.lycaeum.org/~sky/data/grow/c20.html but the page doesn't seem to load, so I had to read the google cache)

I found this online, wtf are all those CB things and how do they fit with the whole munchy theory? Personally, I've never been fussed about ambient light during drying and I'm sceptical there's any real difference to be noted from minor light exposure. But if it does break shit down and make the smoke more couchy or munchy, I could understand it because I like that kind of smoke.

ive heard of some people having sativas that were way to strong (already dried to not get confused with my above post) and left them in the sun to degrade some psychoactives some to help take an edge off

S

sparkjumper

Anyone ever leave a plant or two hanging for several months or more just taking a nug here and there till its picked clean?I've heard people say it can become overdried but for the life of me,I've never seen this happen.Not with decent swticky well grown pot anyway.I thnk you can let them hang in an AC 50% RH room for a year without any adverse consequences at all.I'm going on a few moths now with several plants.Man I'm a lazy fuck anymore lol.I'm jarring slowly but surely

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Hung for a month or so, then rehumidified in a humid room, fruit in baggy etc. makes for some badass smoke! Discovered that being a lazy phuk myself lol
It seemed to really keep the killer aroma/taste, compared to bud that gets flattened & smashed screen drying &/or bagged up moist.

I'm working on a modified version of it as my normal method now.

WoodsyOwl

Yes, light, oxygen and heat can all break down THC.

I'll drop some science on this thread! C21 H30 O2, the constituent molecule in tetrahydrocannabinol, is a quite fragile molecule. The trichomes of the cannabis plant partially serve to protect the THC molecules by growing a bulbous, micro-dermal layer of trichome tissue, provided at the end of each, encompassing and protecting the THC.

Because tetrahydrocannabinol is inherently chemically unstable its constituent matter slowly decays into cannabinol, cannabidiol, and cannabigerol. Cannabinols show up first and stick you to the floor. Cannabidiols chill you the fuck out. Cannabigerols can induce anxiety and agitation and kill the session's buzz.

Any elastic and non-elastic collision the herb induces will fundamentally change the smoke. Any little sqeeze, bump, touch, peek, etc. . . degrades the THC.

Maybe you could store your herb at a constant 68ᵒ F (20ᵒ C) in a dust-free, very dry, unlit corner of your basement or something?

Don't pollute.

Last edited:

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I dry on collapsable towel racks from Bed, Bath, and Beyond, bent paperclips used as hooks. Each rack has a 1x3' footprint, stands ~4' high, and can hold quite a bit of product. There's a bigass fan running in the room. It takes anywhere from 3-6 days to bring the product down to ~70-75% RH and begin the process in my sig.

Simon

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Anyone ever leave a plant or two hanging for several months or more just taking a nug here and there till its picked clean?I've heard people say it can become overdried but for the life of me,I've never seen this happen.Not with decent swticky well grown pot anyway.I thnk you can let them hang in an AC 50% RH room for a year without any adverse consequences at all.I'm going on a few moths now with several plants.Man I'm a lazy fuck anymore lol.I'm jarring slowly but surely

I know an outdoor grower who has giant rubbermaid tubs of last years crops, and the year before, full of dried untrimmed plants. When he needs more he has trimmers come pop a couple tubs and trim it out, smoked great after a long cure. I'd advise drying then curing in tubs if needed, keeps it dark and lasts longer that way. Tubs are cheap and stack well! ;)

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Oh here are the hanging racks I'm using now, I stripped and burned my plastic mesh/wood framed racks last night, at least I got a few uses out of my $300 investment first! lol

G

Nice hanging racks Lazy! I have something very similar to those but my side walls don't zip up like those do. Where'd ya get em???:prettyplease:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I got em from a local hydro shop, but they sell em online too. They only have 4 shelves (should have like, 15!) but they work well. I would check them carefully though, one of my 4 had NO zipper pulls on 2 shelves! Just a closed zipper and no way to open/close it, lol

Latest posts

Latest posts