What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is this stuff at the bottom of my olive oil?

PDX Dopesmoker

Theres always the leftover alcohol saturated material when you make an alcohol extraction and I decided to recover the remaining goods this time by adding water to the alcohol saturated material and letting the water leech most of the alcohol out of the extracted cannabis.

Here is a picture of the jar of alcohol saturated leftover material just after I added the water, you can see the exciting dynamic events occurring as everything in the jar aggressively seeks a new equilibrium.
hBxzctE.png

Its an even better a show if you get to watch it live.

I left the jar to sit overnight, then after straining out the solids I boiled off the water-alcohol mixture with what I thought was an appropriate amount of olive oil added to absorb the estimated leftover amount of THC until all the water was gone and I figured I'd infuse the olive oil that way, but when I was done there was this goo at the bottom of the olive oil. I scooped the goo out of the olive oil after it had cooled and put it on some parchment. It looks a lot like RSO.
Llx3wAZ.jpg

The olive oil itself was green and maybe about 50mg of THC per teaspoon, I made green scrambled eggs with it last night.
Anyone have a a guess whats the goo made out of?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Olive oil doesn't evaporate like alcohol.

I use material wrapped in cheese cloth (like a burrito) ....easier to wring out and keeps all cannabis particles intact; easier to clean, too.

Breadwizard

My guess is the plant waxes and other alcohol soluble biomatter that was dissolved into the alcohol/water mix, which dropped out of solution when the solvant went away.

Probably nothing psychoactive in there, just waxy plant gunk.

PDX Dopesmoker

Olive oil doesn't evaporate like alcohol.

I use material wrapped in cheese cloth (like a burrito) ....easier to wring out and keeps all cannabis particles intact; easier to clean, too.

That non evaporation part is whats good about it. The water and alcohol evaporate at temperatures lower than whats needed to decarb THCA, thats why I used the olive oil. Once the remaining hash oil is picked up by the olive oil I can decarb it. I put the THCA infused olive oil into a jar with plenty of room and put that jar in the oven at about 300ºF and let the oil heat up until decarbing takes place, thats how I make my deep fried THC molecules.

PDX Dopesmoker

My guess is the plant waxes and other alcohol soluble biomatter that was dissolved into the alcohol/water mix, which dropped out of solution when the solvant went away.

Probably nothing psychoactive in there, just waxy plant gunk.

I bet you're right, whatever water soluble stuff that came out of the plant matter when it was in the water is probably not soluble in olive oil.

Drewsif

You can pull a surprising amount of plant tar out of plant material from a slow wash.. too bad no one in the Cannabis industry quantifies or even acknowledges these things. The industry thinks black gunk is chlorophyll, and really doesn't care one bit now that "color remediation" is a cool new thing they just heard about.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You extracted with a polar solvent and re-dissolved it in a non polar solvent, so ostensibly what you have are polar elements. That is common and also happens when trying to dissolve BHO in vegetable glycerin.

I never analyzed it, so don't know specifically what it is.

I was able to suspend it in a fine colloidal suspension, by using a CAT Scientific homogenizer.

PDX Dopesmoker

You can pull a surprising amount of plant tar out of plant material from a slow wash.. too bad no one in the Cannabis industry quantifies or even acknowledges these things. The industry thinks black gunk is chlorophyll, and really doesn't care one bit now that "color remediation" is a cool new thing they just heard about.

Yeah, I get like 2/3 or so more extract per gram when I make RSO with ethanol vs making QWET. Seeing exactly whats in the non-cannabinoid portion of RSO quantified sure would be interesting.

PDX Dopesmoker

You extracted with a polar solvent and re-dissolved it in a non polar solvent, so ostensibly what you have are polar elements. That is common and also happens when trying to dissolve BHO in vegetable glycerin.

I never analyzed it, so don't know specifically what it is.

I was able to suspend it in a fine colloidal suspension, by using a CAT Scientific homogenizer.

Thanks for explaining that, I hadn't really thought about the solvent properties of olive oil other than wonder what the situation point was. Whatever the stuff is composed of exactly would be pretty interesting if it someone were to demonstrate that the medical properties of RSO have to do with something other than the cannabinoid content, but what are the odds that relatively well studied plant which already produces one rare and medically valuable class of chemicals like cannabinoids also has other valuable secrets still hiding?

Latest posts

Latest posts